Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-10-2011, 06:23 PM   #1
DoreyR
DoreyR doesn't litterDoreyR doesn't litterDoreyR doesn't litter

Device: Kobo, iPad 3g, iPhone 3GS, Pandigital (Black, Kobo)
1st generation Kobo will not mount when plugged into Mac desktop

Hi everyone,
I am trying to support my Mom's use of the 1st generation Kobo from half a country away. Since Christmas she has been merrily using it and absolutely adores it. She has synced and bought books and updated her library and everything else one does with the Reader. She just uses the Kobo desktop software on a Mac. She does not use Calibre or ADE.

At one point a week ago or so, the desktop app told her to update, so she did, with me on the phone to help her through it. The update was successful.

Today, however, things have gone to hell in a handbasket very fast. She plugged the reader into the computer this morning to charge it. Left it all day. Light did not turn the correct colour. Called me in a panic. I used TeamViewer to take control of her computer and investigate. I noticed right away that the reader will not show up on the desktop when it is plugged in (Manage Books is selected on the Reader). It does not show up in the Kobo software either.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me please? I told her to connect her Kobo to some other computer, but she that means she has to find someone she knows with a computer and ask them if she can test her reader. She is resisting that idea.

PS despite the light not being the right colour, the battery icon displays as charged on the reader.

Thanks for any help you can give me. My Mom adores the Reader but I'm afraid the bloom is coming off the rose. I would really hate to see her turn against it.
DoreyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 06:57 PM   #2
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Has she turned the Kobo off and then on again? Did she try a factory reset?

Last edited by taming; 01-10-2011 at 07:20 PM.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 07:41 PM   #3
DoreyR

Hi,
Mom has turned the Kobo on and off again several times, as well as unplugging the cord at both ends and plugging it in again.
A factory reset has not been attempted yet. If you think it will help, I'll set aside some time to walk her through it over the phone and deal with the inevitable fallout. I was hoping to avoid it, but will suck it up if I have to.
Thanks for replying!
Old 01-10-2011, 08:30 PM   #4
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
With the new update you have to select 'keep reading' or 'manage library' for it to show up on the compute you have to select 'keep reading' on the device. When you select either one it will charge.

P.S When in 'keep reading' you don't have to eject device. Hope this helped
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 09:32 PM   #5
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TERMINATOR View Post
With the new update you have to select 'keep reading' or 'manage library' hen in 'keep reading' you don't have to eject device. Hope this helped
He said it was on manage library, but I wondered if she actually pressed it to select after it was highlighted? That would be easy to miss.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:39 PM   #6
taming
Trying for calm & polite

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoreyR View Post
Hi,
Mom has turned the Kobo on and off again several times, as well as unplugging the cord at both ends and plugging it in again.
A factory reset has not been attempted yet. If you think it will help, I'll set aside some time to walk her through it over the phone and deal with the inevitable fallout. I was hoping to avoid it, but will suck it up if I have to.
Thanks for replying!
It's always worth checking the simple explanations--like trying another USB cable or another USB port. Both ports and cables have been known to poop out. On Windows machines, it could also be a corrupted USB driver--not sure how this applies to her MAC (assuming it is an Intel based Mac, it could be this, I suppose). I'd try that sort of thing before doing a reset. It sounds to me like it could very well be something mechanical. See the note above in response to Terminator's post, as well. Your idea of checking on another machine was a good one.

If she always downloads via sync, getting set-up again should be not much of a problem. If you do a reset, tell her to check what page she is on in her current books. She can set them on the reader application on the desktop easier than she might be able to do it on the book kobo itself.

Last edited by taming; 01-10-2011 at 09:43 PM.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:51 AM   #7
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
She has synced and bought books and updated her library and everything else one does with the Reader. She just uses the Kobo desktop software on a Mac. She does not use Calibre or ADE.

At one point a week ago or so, the desktop app told her to update, so she did, with me on the phone to help her through it. The update was successful.
If it worked fine, no reason to upgrade at all. I assume an option to say
"cancel" or alike?

Quote:
Today, however, things have gone to hell in a handbasket very fast. She plugged the reader into the computer this morning to charge it. Left it all day. Light did not turn the correct colour.
Few questions. Did she upgrade just desktop or both? If desktop only,
did she make something to the reader?

Quote:
I noticed right away that the reader will not show up on the desktop when it is plugged in (Manage Books is selected on the Reader). It does not show up in the Kobo software either.
Does it look like previous complaints on this forum? The first point would
be: does the reader work when powered up? Could your mom see the book
she likes to read?

Quote:
despite the light not being the right colour, the battery icon displays as charged on the reader.
You want to say the reader works? If so, just let her do factory reset. Make
the device not be the subject of further investigation. Then you both could
concentrate on debugging desktop app.

Let us know what happens later. I assume mode on the reader was chosen to
match.

Last edited by zoran; 01-11-2011 at 12:54 AM.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 04:06 AM   #8
3d0g
I make fjords.
3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: kobo 1 (retired), kobo 2, iPad, G2, Galaxy Tab 7+
If the kobo is working but not showing up in Finder, I'd be suspicious of an issue with the Mac's USB. Try rebooting it. Does she have a USB memory stick or other USB device to test with?
3d0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 04:45 AM   #9
DoreyR

Hi everyone,
Wow, what a lot of replies, thanks! I'll go back and reply to each one individually now.
Old 01-11-2011, 04:48 AM   #10
DoreyR

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TERMINATOR View Post
With the new update you have to select 'keep reading' or 'manage library' for it to show up on the compute you have to select 'keep reading' on the device. When you select either one it will charge.

P.S When in 'keep reading' you don't have to eject device. Hope this helped
Hi, thanks for your reply.
Mom says she selected "Manage Library" when she connected the Reader to the Mac. I'm pretty sure she did this correctly because we have walked through this process together several times in the past weeks.
Old 01-11-2011, 04:49 AM   #11
DoreyR

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
He said it was on manage library, but I wondered if she actually pressed it to select after it was highlighted? That would be easy to miss.
You are right, it is easy to miss pressing "manage" after it is selected. We have practiced that step together so I'm pretty sure she did it right.
Old 01-11-2011, 04:50 AM   #12
DoreyR

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post

If she always downloads via sync, getting set-up again should be not much of a problem. If you do a reset, tell her to check what page she is on in her current books. She can set them on the reader application on the desktop easier than she might be able to do it on the book kobo itself.
I like your suggestion of resetting her bookmarks in the desktop app. I can do that for her using TeamViewer. Thanks for the tip!
Old 01-11-2011, 04:56 AM   #13
DoreyR

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoran View Post

Few questions. Did she upgrade just desktop or both? If desktop only,
did she make something to the reader?

Does it look like previous complaints on this forum? The first point would
be: does the reader work when powered up? Could your mom see the book
she likes to read?

You want to say the reader works? If so, just let her do factory reset. Make
the device not be the subject of further investigation. Then you both could
concentrate on debugging desktop app.

Let us know what happens later. I assume mode on the reader was chosen to
match.
Hi,
We updated the desktop app and the reader itself at the same time.
I could not find a similar complaint on this forum after doing a search and scanning the subject lines of most of the postings.
The reader itself works. All of the books she expects to see there do, in fact, appear in the "I'm Reading" section. I didn't investigate the state of her bookmarks because by that time my 80-something Mom was too agitated to answer questions coherently.

I will let you all know how it turns out as we go forward. Tech trouble shooting for an elderly parent while half-a-country away is a bit challenging so I am grateful for all the support I am getting here
Old 01-11-2011, 06:23 AM   #14
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
We updated the desktop app and the reader itself at the same time.
There is always chance to remove desktop app and install it
again.

Quote:
The reader itself works.
Perfect. You could recharge it once more after factory default.
That will probably make it behave decently.

My point of view is that reader is not security critical server and
it should not be updated once a day/week. If you find it working
to your likings, let it stay for some time. Especially if your mom
does not need new features.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mac, sync