Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-03-2009, 02:57 PM   #1
revmike
Zealot
revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Sony Readers 505 \ T-2, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8
Love the reader, Hate the software

I just had to get this off my chest. I've had my reader for almost a year and it has been one of the best eletronic devices that I have spent money on, but I HATE the software, especially the sony store is so slooow. I know all about the alternatives, but you would think that sony would at least make an attempt to rectify what has to be some of the worst supporting software ever. In stead of developing a new reader (700) they should have spent some time over-hauling this software. Rant over....I feel better now.
revmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 03:30 PM   #2
monkeywrench
Connoisseur
monkeywrench began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4, Kindle Keyboard
I completely agree with you. Add to that their software isn't cross platform. It was exactly for these reasons that I bought a Kindle after having a PRS-500 for almost two years. I couldn't be happier! Now I don't even have to use a computer to use the device.
monkeywrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2009, 04:13 PM   #3
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
I ran the Sony itunes-for-books-wannabe software for all of 10 minutes before I grabbed and installed Calibre - and never looked back. In fact I would probably still use it even if I didn't have a Sony.

The Sony software is... functional. Sort of.

Last edited by acidzebra; 01-03-2009 at 04:21 PM.
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 05:14 PM   #4
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidzebra View Post
The Sony software is... functional. Sort of.
"Sort of" indeed.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 10:10 PM   #5
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I don't mind it. It gets the job done.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2009, 05:22 AM   #6
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
I think I actually downloaded Calibre -before- I bought my Sony, after reading everything here... Though it was called libprs500 at that time...

-MJ
mjh215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 08:18 AM   #7
Alfy
Liseur de Bonne Aventure
Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS T1
I'm on a Mac, so what I think of the software is... Not much! Thank god for Calibre!!!
Alfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 10:03 AM   #8
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T3, Kobo Libra H2O
For some strange reason, many great hardware items have such an incredibly poor software. PRS-505 is one, iPod Touch is another. Most scanners are yet another example. With Sony, at least I have the option NOT to use their software.
pepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 06:41 PM   #9
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
I've just downloaded Calibre, mainly as a file converter for PDF files. If I really get into it, I might use it as the main software for the 505, but at first glance it seems much more complex than the elibrary.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 02:52 AM   #10
Alfy
Liseur de Bonne Aventure
Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS T1
Really? I found the book management part really easy to pick up, and it's improved a lots in terms of GUI since I got my first version...
Alfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 04:47 PM   #11
morpheus
Aio, quantitas magna frum
morpheus began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepak View Post
For some strange reason, many great hardware items have such an incredibly poor software. PRS-505 is one, iPod Touch is another. Most scanners are yet another example. With Sony, at least I have the option NOT to use their software.
It's de rigueur for Japanese companies like Sony. Great hardware, lousy software, no real updates.

Compare it to the iPhone model and you see why Sony is suffering.
morpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 08:25 AM   #12
davers
Connoisseur
davers is kind to children and small, furry animalsdavers is kind to children and small, furry animalsdavers is kind to children and small, furry animalsdavers is kind to children and small, furry animalsdavers is kind to children and small, furry animalsdavers is kind to children and small, furry animalsdavers is kind to children and small, furry animalsdavers is kind to children and small, furry animalsdavers is kind to children and small, furry animalsdavers is kind to children and small, furry animalsdavers is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Sony Dark Blue 505
Just had to add my 2 cents... Sony! Develop some new software!! Jeez!

Love my reader though! I've got the blue one...everyone knows the blue one is the best one!

Dave
davers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 08:37 AM   #13
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
Quote:
Originally Posted by davers View Post
Just had to add my 2 cents... Sony! Develop some new software!! Jeez!

Dave
They did, you can go here to download it.

Oh, that wasn't developed by Sony? Well, it should have been.

-MJ
mjh215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 08:42 AM   #14
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh215 View Post
They did, you can go here to download it.

Oh, that wasn't developed by Sony? Well, it should have been.

-MJ

too right. i haven't used the sony software once. i'm not even sure i installed it. calibre is brilliant.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 08:49 AM   #15
davers
Connoisseur
davers is kind to children and small, furry animalsdavers is kind to children and small, furry animalsdavers is kind to children and small, furry animalsdavers is kind to children and small, furry animalsdavers is kind to children and small, furry animalsdavers is kind to children and small, furry animalsdavers is kind to children and small, furry animalsdavers is kind to children and small, furry animalsdavers is kind to children and small, furry animalsdavers is kind to children and small, furry animalsdavers is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Sony Dark Blue 505
You guys... I've actually downloaded Calibre..and it seems like it'll be good...but I seem to have gotten trapped into the "let's convert every single gutenburg book I can get my grubby littel hands on" syndrome, and I haven't had time to actually play around with Calibre much... Hopefully this obsessive compulsive phase of mine will go away soon!

Dave
davers is offline   Reply With Quote