Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-02-2013, 02:51 AM   #226
Stephjk
Cruiser
Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, samsung galaxy tab note
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebananas View Post
Product: Glo
Firmware: 2.8.1

Since firmware update, I have experienced intermittent faulty light switch operation. It would turn the light off, but not on. For this, I had to go into brightness setting and select another percentage. This would turn the light on at the new percentage brightness (which I could then change back to the required value). This bug did not show itself immediately after upgrade, but after an hour or so of operation. Using the Glo after several hours in sleep I found that the problem had resolved itself, however after a brief sleep (initiated via power switch) the problem has returned.

CatherineStewart has also experienced this bug - #43 here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=2575555
I have this problem too, the light switch does not turn the light on. I have to go the brightness control to get the light to come on at all. Very annoying when trying to read in the dark
Stephjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 05:46 AM   #227
Anak
Fanatic
Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I really have a hard time with some of these issues that people call BUGS. Nowhere have Kobo EVER stated that replacing of hyphenation dictionaries should work, or that hyphenation is user controllable in any way shape or form.

Yet people claim this to be a BUG....
Techically you're right it is probably not a bug.
Kobo doesn't have to explicitly state what features are (officially) supported if it is (unofficially) supported natively by the underlying renderer. And as Kobo doesn't communicate, not even in a very general way, about firmware developments Kobos official statements are almost irrelevant (unfortunate, I if you ask me.)
Kobo rapidly expands its businesses to other language territories. The consequences are that local languages should be supported by adding a local definition dictionary and translation dictionaries from and to English, at least.
If Kobo won't, because it may not be cost effective (I do understand this can be the case) Kobo should add the flexibility to add open source solutions by the user. Creating flexibility by building a look up routine to detect sideloaded open source definition, translation and hyphenation dictionaries hardly costs Kobo anything (It saves money actually, no licence fees) but would give them an edge to penetrate a local language territory.
Anak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2013, 04:24 AM   #228
UffelenE
UffelenE began at the beginning.

Bookmark not showing correct percentage

Product: Kobo Glo
Plugins: -
File types: EPUB
Sideloaded or from Kobobooks: Sideloaded
Steps to reproduce:
  1. Create a bookmark in an epub book
  2. Go back to home, and tap on the bookmark-row on the book.
  3. Bookmarks show correctly. Select the bookmark.
  4. In the right bottom menu, select go to show on page
  5. So far so good.
  6. Go back to home screen and go the the bookmarks of that book again.
  7. The bookmark now shows 0%.
Current result: Bookmark shows 0%. But it still works.
Workaround: No
UffelenE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 06:26 AM   #229
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by UffelenE View Post
Product: Kobo Glo
Plugins: -
File types: EPUB
Sideloaded or from Kobobooks: Sideloaded
Steps to reproduce:
  1. Create a bookmark in an epub book
  2. Go back to home, and tap on the bookmark-row on the book.
  3. Bookmarks show correctly. Select the bookmark.
  4. In the right bottom menu, select go to show on page
  5. So far so good.
  6. Go back to home screen and go the the bookmarks of that book again.
  7. The bookmark now shows 0%.
Current result: Bookmark shows 0%. But it still works.
Workaround: No
Known bug. See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...39#post2494439 for this and all the other bookmark bugs. There is a workaround, put the epubs on the SD card.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 05:07 PM   #230
_pietro
Connoisseur
_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Known bug. See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...39#post2494439 for this and all the other bookmark bugs. There is a workaround, put the epubs on the SD card.
it's incredible they can't spent a minute to find the line of sql that clean the bookmarks/annotation
_pietro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2013, 03:24 AM   #231
UffelenE
UffelenE began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
DavidFor, Thanks for the reply. Perhaps you could also list this bug in this thread.
UffelenE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 11:42 AM   #232
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
black page

I admit I didn't read the whole 16 pages of this thread, but I'd like to know whether the black page is a known bug. I had it first yesterday with an epub I'd just bought, so I thought it was a problem with the specific book. I cancelled it on the device, did a modify epub on calibre, and sent it again. Same problem. But I just started re-reading an epub I bought and read months ago, when I just had a sony, before I bought my first kobo. In both cases they are plain epubs, not kepubs. I have the latest versions of everything, and read on the aura.

What happens is, if I try to navigate with the table of contents, I get a black page (headers and footers remain normal though), and when I manage to exit to the home page, the book is considered finished. If I navigate with the slider, everything is fine.

Has anyone had the problem? Is it linked with the 2.8.1?

PS: I just had the same problem with a pdf, only when I went home the book wasn't considered finished, but at the point before I opened the table of contents.

Last edited by anacreon; 08-06-2013 at 01:49 PM.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 01:46 AM   #233
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by anacreon View Post
I
What happens is, if I try to navigate with the table of contents, I get a black page (headers and footers remain normal though), and when I manage to exit to the home page, the book is considered finished. If I navigate with the slider, everything is fine.

Has anyone had the problem? Is it linked with the 2.8.1?.
I've not noticed anything here, 2.8.1 on a Glo. I just poked around a TOC on my current sideloaded epub, navigated to a few different chapters, and it's all working as designed.

PS do you mean "black page" or "blank page"?
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 02:51 AM   #234
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
I've not noticed anything here, 2.8.1 on a Glo. I just poked around a TOC on my current sideloaded epub, navigated to a few different chapters, and it's all working as designed.

PS do you mean "black page" or "blank page"?
I mean deepest mourning black. I did have the blank page when I started with 2.8.1, read the threads, and found the way around.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 06:14 AM   #235
Risto40
Enthusiast
Risto40 is a marvel to beholdRisto40 is a marvel to beholdRisto40 is a marvel to beholdRisto40 is a marvel to beholdRisto40 is a marvel to beholdRisto40 is a marvel to beholdRisto40 is a marvel to beholdRisto40 is a marvel to beholdRisto40 is a marvel to beholdRisto40 is a marvel to beholdRisto40 is a marvel to behold

Location of new page of pdf books in landscape mode

In pdf books, when viewed zoomed-in in landscape mode, when turning page, the location of the new page is bottom left corner, but should be top left. The bottom left corner would be ok if i were reading book in portrait mode (in portrait mode this is top left). Very annoying. After every page you must scroll page up again :s
Risto40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:13 PM   #236
miyoyo
miyoyo can differentiate black from dark navy bluemiyoyo can differentiate black from dark navy bluemiyoyo can differentiate black from dark navy bluemiyoyo can differentiate black from dark navy bluemiyoyo can differentiate black from dark navy bluemiyoyo can differentiate black from dark navy bluemiyoyo can differentiate black from dark navy bluemiyoyo can differentiate black from dark navy bluemiyoyo can differentiate black from dark navy bluemiyoyo can differentiate black from dark navy bluemiyoyo can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephjk View Post
I have this problem too, the light switch does not turn the light on. I have to go the brightness control to get the light to come on at all. Very annoying when trying to read in the dark

for me, it only happens when my brightness is 1%, but 2% is fine!
miyoyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:26 PM   #237
kitana
kitana began at the beginning.

Device: Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by miyoyo View Post
I have the same problem. When set to 1%, the light switch to on doesn't work.

Please fix this!
kitana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 01:10 AM   #238
Nick Payne
Connoisseur
Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kobo Libra H2O
The bugs that piss me off the most are a) getting advanced several pages rather than one page when swiping, and b) getting partly filled pages and orphans. Both of these intrude themselves repeatedly while you're reading a book.

Both of these seem to be just as bad or worse with 2.8.1 compared to 2.6.1 (Aura HD).
Nick Payne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:33 AM   #239
Stephjk
Cruiser
Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miyoyo View Post
I'll try that tonight and report back, thanks
Old 08-15-2013, 01:38 AM   #240
Stephjk
Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephjk View Post
I'll try that tonight and report back, thanks
Well, having the brightness set at 3% seemed to work fine, the light came back on as it should do when I reopened the sleep cover - hooray!

Tags
pocket app