Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 08-04-2011, 12:06 PM   #1
c-tats
c-tats began at the beginning.

Device: Zire 72 with ereader
Question newbie help removing tags: page and title in txt files

Hi, I need to convert my books from epub to ascii txt.

I'm still using my Palm Zire 72 to read books. (we just can't afford a reader, and I still use the library.)

Anyway, I use the built-in recipes to go from epub to txt. But it has unicode txt, not ascii txt.

Thats okay, because I discovered that I can convert to ascii by using a command prompt and:

C:\ type [unicode file] > [ascii file]

But the built-in recipe puts the page number as "Page ###" and then the next line is the the file name. (Sometimes the file name has this symbol, like an Ankh.) link to sample text : sample.zip

Is there a way to remove page numbering and file names?

And I code web pages, but no other coding, so please use lots of explanations in your answer, and don't assume I know anything.

thanks so much for your help.
Moderator Notice
Moved to conversion forum. This is phrased like a recipe question, but I don't think it is.

Last edited by Starson17; 08-04-2011 at 02:48 PM.
c-tats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 02:50 PM   #2
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by c-tats View Post
But the built-in recipe puts the page number as "Page ###" and then the next line is the the file name. (Sometimes the file name has this symbol, like an Ankh.) link to sample text : sample.zip

Is there a way to remove page numbering and file names?
Yes, you can remove page numbering and file name info, but it's not done with recipes. In file conversion under Search and Replace you can specify text to be changed or deleted with regular expressions.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2011, 03:47 PM   #3
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
There is a conversation option to transform all non-ascii characters to ascii equivalents. That will save you a step and will ensure you don't loose anything in the text.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre conversion, recipe, remove_tags