Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 05-20-2011, 12:34 PM   #46
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
LOL, Vandy and others.

There's some good discussion and ideas here. We will have a June selection by the end of this month, so within the next ten days. I will actually be leaving for five days on the 22nd, so I will have something decided and posted by tomorrow.

Regardless of how we end up choosing a selection, I like the idea of a discussion moderator to post discussion questions and help keep the discussion moving. If we go with voting, perhaps someone who voted for the selection can step up each month to volunteer to help lead the discussion.

I like the idea of being exposed to authors and works that we may not have been otherwise. However, we will actually be exposed to more options by nominations and voting. If one person chooses each month, we will only have one option a month. A more obscure work may or may not win a vote, but just being nominated would expose it to us.

Seeing all the different ideas in these last pages, I, as the club starter, am going to take the reins of, like someone earlier put it, "benign dictatorship" to make some final decisions. It is necessary. I hope everyone will take what I decide in stride, as no definition of literature or method of selecting a book is perfect. Honestly though, the ideas have been really good, and there are some great ideas presented that just won't be used. In making decisions, I will consider what will keep this club running smoothly and easily; what will give us selections that are good, varied, interesting and challenging; and what all of you are posting.

I see some are worried about non-literature books being chosen or endless arguments. I trust in us, though. I think we're all mature enough to, if necessary, debate politely and for a short period, and then move on. I also think that those attracted to this club are going to want literature. We may have a few minor disagreements here and there about books on the edge, but for the most part I think we will be fine.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 03:06 PM   #47
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
I eagarly await the start of the debate. An old wise man once told me "Only through thoughful debate is truth found."
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2011, 03:17 PM   #48
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
We're going to talk it right into an early grave... how 'bout we read something already? It's not like a consensus will ever be reached about what qualifies. For what it's worth, I'm perfectly cool with a benign dictatorship.
Ditto

I think we all really want to get started so I welcome sun surfer's last post!

Last edited by fantasyfan; 05-20-2011 at 03:22 PM.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 03:23 PM   #49
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Putting titles up to vote on will give a consensus of what is "literary". Allowing one person to choose (either a personal choice or from a list of submitted titles) could expose the group to new titles, perhaps something they never would have considered reading - and broaden some personal horizons.
I have it maybe...

We could go thought the nomination process and then this one person takes a turn picking a book from the list of nominated books.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 03:24 PM   #50
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by obs20 View Post
We would need a moderator with veto power lest we risk having Tom Clancy's NetForce 4 win.
Couldn't be any worse then some of the winning books in the other Book Club.
Advert
Old 05-20-2011, 03:27 PM   #51
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

For the June book, I do have one criteria I would like to see and that being a book from a live author who is still actively writing.
Old 05-20-2011, 03:39 PM   #52
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

We will go with a twelve month schedule.

Many of these will be voting months somewhat similar to the general book club, with a few minor changes. But some of the months will be a "member lottery". During these lottery months, anyone who voted each month during the last two or three months can nominate themselves if they wish. One of these nominees will be randomly chosen. This member then earns the right to choose that month's selection; however they also earn the responsibility to lead the discussion afterwards. Other members may suggest works to this member.

The non-lottery months will have categories. I've narrowed the categories down to an encompassing group of possibilities, though I still may add some, delete some, combine some or change some. Here is what we have:

-member lottery

-open (anything considered literature)

-poetry

-non-fiction

-plays

-short stories

-obscure

-highly challenging (especially long or difficult works we may be hesitant to choose otherwise)

-region (will begin with a quick poll of regions; once one is chosen nominations will proceed normally; once a region is chosen it would be out of the running the next time region is the category)

-time period (will begin with a quick poll of time periods)

Thoughts on this are of course welcome while I work on settling the schedule. Does this look like a group of categories that all of you would enjoy selecting from during the year? The categories are malleable right now. Are the member lottery months appealing?

This June will be an open month and will be voted on. I will start a nominations thread soon, and a 3-day final voting poll by the 28th at the latest (to finish by the 31st at the latest). I will try to start the final voting poll soon after nominations are complete but since I will be on vacation for five days I only guarantee that it will finish before June starts.

Old 05-20-2011, 03:43 PM   #53
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
We will go with a twelve month schedule.
From my own perspective I would probably dip out of the poetry and plays - but that's just me.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 03:44 PM   #54
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin
Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 and 2 Kindle 3's - and now a K4 + HTC Desire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
LOL, Vandy and others.

There's some good discussion and ideas here. We will have a June selection by the end of this month, so within the next ten days. I will actually be leaving for five days on the 22nd, so I will have something decided and posted by tomorrow.

Regardless of how we end up choosing a selection, I like the idea of a discussion moderator to post discussion questions and help keep the discussion moving. If we go with voting, perhaps someone who voted for the selection can step up each month to volunteer to help lead the discussion.

I like the idea of being exposed to authors and works that we may not have been otherwise. However, we will actually be exposed to more options by nominations and voting. If one person chooses each month, we will only have one option a month. A more obscure work may or may not win a vote, but just being nominated would expose it to us.

Seeing all the different ideas in these last pages, I, as the club starter, am going to take the reins of, like someone earlier put it, "benign dictatorship" to make some final decisions. It is necessary. I hope everyone will take what I decide in stride, as no definition of literature or method of selecting a book is perfect. Honestly though, the ideas have been really good, and there are some great ideas presented that just won't be used. In making decisions, I will consider what will keep this club running smoothly and easily; what will give us selections that are good, varied, interesting and challenging; and what all of you are posting.

I see some are worried about non-literature books being chosen or endless arguments. I trust in us, though. I think we're all mature enough to, if necessary, debate politely and for a short period, and then move on. I also think that those attracted to this club are going to want literature. We may have a few minor disagreements here and there about books on the edge, but for the most part I think we will be fine.

Couldn't have said it better, "Hail to the Chief" !
Kevin2960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 07:07 PM   #55
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sounds fine!
Old 05-23-2011, 07:02 PM   #56
mcrow24
Connoisseur
mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Kindle,Augen "The book", Nook
Just a suggestion to perhaps simplify things. Maybe we just start with going off of the nominations for literary awards?

National Book Critics Award

Pulizer Prize

Faulkner Award

Hemingway Award

There are plenty of recent books to choose from among these awards.
mcrow24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 07:03 PM   #57
mcrow24
Connoisseur
mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Kindle,Augen "The book", Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS View Post
From my own perspective I would probably dip out of the poetry and plays - but that's just me.
I'm not a huge fan of poetry either and would probably not be interested if a poetry reading came up.
mcrow24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:06 PM   #58
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Thanks everyone for making the first month a success.

I've come up with a twelve-month schedule for the club. I used a lot of your ideas in making it. I have decided to keep a few categories in that some may be less fond of because I want this club to encompass all of literature and challenge us. We will see how it goes. This schedule is experimental, and after we've tried it we can re-evaluate.

Here it is -

January: Poetry

February: Time Period (a time period will be chosen either at random or by poll and the nominations will come from that time period)

March: Member Lottery*

April: Obscure Works

May: Region (a region will be chosen either at random or by poll and the nominations will come from that region)

June: Short Stories

July: Highly Challenging Works (especially long or difficult works we may be hesitant to choose otherwise)

August: Member Lottery*

September: Non-Fiction

October: Plays

November: Member Lottery*

December: Open (anything considered literature)

*Member Lottery months - Anyone who voted or nominated in all the months since the previous Member Lottery may nominate themselves. Of the nominees, one will be chosen at random, who will then choose the selection for that month.

I hope the schedule is interesting and engaging for everyone. While it is somewhat set for now, we will take it month to month, and I do of course still welcome comments and ideas. I will start the July nominations thread within the next hour.
Old 06-23-2011, 04:29 AM   #59
fantasyfan
Wizard

The use of this type of schedule sonds very effective. My one reservation concerns the July selection area. IMO, we already have a quite challenging and difficult work under our belts with The Master and Margarita. Perhaps I'm in a minority here, but while it was certainly worth reading I found it tough going at times. Thus, I would suggest that perhaps the June and July categories should be reversed.

Last edited by fantasyfan; 06-23-2011 at 04:46 AM.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:08 AM   #60
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasyfan View Post
... Thus, I would suggest that perhaps the June and July categories should be reversed.
I agree, but it appears to be too late.

I'm not sure if I like the idea of so many "member lottery", but I'll give it a shot.

I would also like to see one (or more) months be a something recently published category. I'm guessing that most of the selections will be relatively dated; not that there is anything wrong with that.

How about one month for "new author": a literary work that is an author's first work that and published in the last 5 years?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
book club, literary, literature