Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 01-26-2011, 07:43 PM   #1
Avenarius
Avenarius began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
NC is an awful reader

First of all, the stock device can read very few of my PDFs. Mostly I just get a big X every time I try to open a file. Since these files open fine on any device with Adobe Reader, my conclusion is that the built-in Quickoffice reader stinks. Secondly, the stock NC isn't very good even for epub files, as the screen is always cluttered with the status bar as well as book information at the top of the screen. One would think that the whole idea of replacing a book with an ereader is to simulate the printed page on a screen, but the NC goes completely against that by displaying all sorts of superfluous information while you're reading.

Despite these shortcomings, I decided to stick with my NC, as I'd read good things about how much better this device was after rooting. Unfortunately, the reading experience isn't much better on a rooted NC. Since my primary interest is reading PDFs, I first downloaded ezPDF reader after reading good reviews of it. This turned out to be a total waste of a dollar as the app either lags or freezes up completely with most of my PDF files. After two updates, it now won't even open most files. I then tried Adobe Reader and Aldiko, and both are able to open my PDFs without any problem. They also display pages without any screen clutter. The trouble is I can't figure out to how to get either reader to remember the page. Once the Nook goes into sleep mode, that's it, you have to go back and re-open the file, which of course resets the book or article to the beginning. This is a huge annoyance, as there's no reason the device shouldn't be able to remember the state of an app.

Aside from the problems with reading books, the rooted version is fairly difficult to use, especially for anyone with no experience with Android. Not only do apps exhibit some curious behavior - for example, if you open an app within another app, you have to press the home button before you can get back to the original app - but also file management seems fairly abstruse compared to a PC or Mac. Given the difficulty even with basic functions, I couldn't recommend rooting to anyone who's a novice at Android. On the other hand, the stock NC isn't really very usable, especially if you read PDFs.

All in all, the NC is a pretty awful reading device, which is a real shame too, as the hardware and screen seem really good. While I suppose a programmer could use the NC as a tablet, I can't really see much other use for it. It's cerainly not a universal or easy-to-use ereader.

Last edited by Avenarius; 01-26-2011 at 07:47 PM.
Avenarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:05 PM   #2
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
*yawn*

In all honesty, you should simply take it back

Last edited by volwrath; 01-26-2011 at 08:07 PM.
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2011, 08:23 PM   #3
zartemis
Addict
zartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it is

Device: Kindle3, Kindle2, Nook, NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by volwrath View Post
*yawn*

In all honesty, you should simply take it back
I dunno, I think the poster made some valid points. And I have, use, and recommend both the Nook Classic and the Nook Color. I don't find the Nook (classic or color) to be a very intuitive reader interface. Yes, you can adjust to it, but I think the Kindle has the Nook beat in this department.

The Nook makes an inexpensive Android tablet, but its lack of hardware buttons and the need to download many apps to customize it, give it a poor out-of-the-box just-rooted experience. There are workarounds for app-switching, but they are 'work arounds'. E.g. I have softkeys set up on a single press of the N key which pulls up most recently used apps and allows fast switching between apps without going back to the home screen. But you have to configure it. For folks who don't want to fiddle like this to get everything configured 'just so', it's not a good experience.
zartemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:41 PM   #4
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
Quote:
Originally Posted by zartemis View Post
I dunno, I think the poster made some valid points. And I have, use, and recommend both the Nook Classic and the Nook Color. I don't find the Nook (classic or color) to be a very intuitive reader interface. Yes, you can adjust to it, but I think the Kindle has the Nook beat in this department.

The Nook makes an inexpensive Android tablet, but its lack of hardware buttons and the need to download many apps to customize it, give it a poor out-of-the-box just-rooted experience. There are workarounds for app-switching, but they are 'work arounds'. E.g. I have softkeys set up on a single press of the N key which pulls up most recently used apps and allows fast switching between apps without going back to the home screen. But you have to configure it. For folks who don't want to fiddle like this to get everything configured 'just so', it's not a good experience.
yeah but this entire post is just a bitch session. His last statement was that the NC is certainly not a universal ereader, and that was completely ludicrous. It reads pdfs, epubs (both adobe and b&n DRMed format), kindle, html, cbr. The only format I dont think it handles is iBook epub.

Even unrooted the NC is a pretty nice epub reader.

If OP wants some help, just post some questions in the forums so we can help his NC experience

Last edited by volwrath; 01-26-2011 at 08:45 PM.
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:52 PM   #5
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenarius View Post
All in all, the NC is a pretty awful reading device, which is a real shame too, as the hardware and screen seem really good. While I suppose a programmer could use the NC as a tablet, I can't really see much other use for it. It's cerainly not a universal or easy-to-use ereader.
You should use "IMHO"; not everybody here thinks the same.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2011, 10:10 PM   #6
cybrdmn
cybrdmn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.cybrdmn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.cybrdmn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.cybrdmn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nookcolor
Now that you have your complaints off your chest. Go and do the research for information about how to use your nookColor. If you don't want to put any effort into it, you might as well sell it. As with any computing device, you have to learn how to get what you want out of it. That said, it is true that the nookColor isn't a great pdf veiwer, which you could have easily found out within a couple minutes of searching. If that is all you bought it for, again, sell it.
cybrdmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 10:23 PM   #7
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
...I couldn't recommend rooting to anyone who's a novice at Android...
I had absolutely no experience with Android prior to buying a NOOKcolor. I have a Windows Mobile 6.5 phone. I never used Terminal on my Mac and was totally clueless about ADB. I successfully rooted using the manual process and did subsequent updates manually as well. I had and continue to have no problems. It's all about taking the time to educate yourself and being able to process information and follow instructions. It's not complicated.

Last edited by SCION; 01-26-2011 at 10:29 PM.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 10:36 PM   #8
Avenarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by volwrath View Post
yeah but this entire post is just a bitch session. His last statement was that the NC is certainly not a universal ereader, and that was completely ludicrous. It reads pdfs, epubs (both adobe and b&n DRMed format), kindle, html, cbr. The only format I dont think it handles is iBook epub.
A rooted NC may be a universal reader, but the stock device certainly is not, as it fails to open most pdfs. Again, even a rooted NC isn't all that usable as a universal reader, since pdfs often hang or have slow page turns and are reset everytime you open them.

Quote:
Even unrooted the NC is a pretty nice epub reader.
It's o.k. if you're not distracted by screen clutter while reading, and you don't mind not being able to put your own epubs on the home shelves.

When I bought a NC, I expected I would simply be able to turn on the screen, touch an icon, and start reading a book. The device does in fact work that way, but generally only for epubs and magazines purchased from B&N. Maybe I was simply being unrealistic in thinking the NC would work just as well with books not purchased from B&N, I don't know, but I can't see why they would even allow the device to read non-DRMed pdfs and other documents if they were going to restrict most of its actual reading functions to B&N purchases.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:52 PM   #9
Avenarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
I had absolutely no experience with Android prior to buying a NOOKcolor. I have a Windows Mobile 6.5 phone. I never used Terminal on my Mac and was totally clueless about ADB. I successfully rooted using the manual process and did subsequent updates manually as well. I had and continue to have no problems. It's all about taking the time to educate yourself and being able to process information and follow instructions. It's not complicated.
I didn't recommend that people not root their NC because rooting itself is hard, but rather because the device is hard to use once rooted. For example, most of the apps come with no instructions, and weren't really written with tablets like the NC in mind anyway. There's also no real information on file management, which is obviously a major issue on an ereader.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:53 PM   #10
zartemis
Addict
zartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it is

Quote:
I then tried Adobe Reader and Aldiko, and both are able to open my PDFs without any problem. They also display pages without any screen clutter. The trouble is I can't figure out to how to get either reader to remember the page. Once the Nook goes into sleep mode, that's it, you have to go back and re-open the file, which of course resets the book or article to the beginning.
I tried to replicate this problem with a PDF in Aldiko and the only way I could is to always open the PDF by browsing to it on the SD card. For PDFs that I 'imported' into Aldiko it remembered my last page no matter what I did: whether I let it sleep, whether I switched to another book and then came back to the book, whether I exited Aldiko via the back button or via the N button, and even after a reboot. It also remembered my last page if I made a home page icon to the PDF book and used that to launch Aldiko.

Did you import your book into Aldiko so it can manage it better? If so, what version of Aldiko are you using?
Old 01-26-2011, 11:02 PM   #11
zartemis
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
I had absolutely no experience with Android prior to buying a NOOKcolor. I have a Windows Mobile 6.5 phone. I never used Terminal on my Mac and was totally clueless about ADB. I successfully rooted using the manual process and did subsequent updates manually as well.
And then nearly single-handedly turned the mobileread Nook (now Nook Developers forum) into the friendliest newbie Nook rooting support forum on the internet. And inspired others to pitch in and help, too.

It is really sweet to see a forum where when a question is asked for the umpteenth time, the answer is quickly given again and no one bashes the questioner for not searching first through 100-post threads to find the answer themselves. I love it.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:04 PM   #12
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
I didn't recommend that people not root their NC because rooting itself is hard, but rather because the device is hard to use once rooted. For example, most of the apps come with no instructions, and weren't really written with tablets like the NC in mind anyway. There's also no real information on file management, which is obviously a major issue on an ereader.
I guess if someone doesn't use a computer then the device could be a stumbling block. What instructions do you need for these apps? They're apps not applications. What apps do you desire (besides some games) that are unusable on the NOOKcolor? There are several ebook reader apps that people happily make use of instead of the stock reader and library.

It sounds as if you have some personal limitations that prevent you from enjoying the device. It's evident by your statement "the device is hard to use once rooted". You took the time to post your rant, but didn't take the time to ask for help in overcoming your lack of knowledge?
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:15 PM   #13
MsCG1
Zealot
MsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Nook Classic, NookColor, HTC Rezound, Sony PRS-505, ICS Touchpad
Am I the only person who didn't have any trouble at all reading PDF books and documents on the stock Nook? Seriously, reading PDF documents did not factor in to my decision to root because the Nook handles the documents just fine.

I had an issue getting some of the covers to display properly, but after spending about 15 minutes here, I learned how to deal with that too.

OP, just take it back and get an iPad or something.
MsCG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:30 PM   #14
orb9220
orb9220 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Many have valid complaints with stock nook color & pdf's. Will not remember last page read,No bookmarking,No highlighting. Inconsistent display of covers. Swiping up and down instead of side to side. For B&N pdf's they don't even use the one we are stuck with for our Pdf's. What's that tell you.

For me not having last read and bookmark is the biggest deal breaker for me. Ummm.. Let's see I have this 800pg. pdf. and I have to remember the page I was on? I don't think so. And why should I have to learn a different page turn method then what is already intuitive and natural side to side swipe or tap.

They still have quite a ways to go. Am myself waiting for return window to expire so I can root mine to get it the way I need.
orb9220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 12:54 AM   #15
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrdmn View Post
Now that you have your complaints off your chest. Go and do the research for information about how to use your nookColor. If you don't want to put any effort into it, you might as well sell it. As with any computing device, you have to learn how to get what you want out of it. That said, it is true that the nookColor isn't a great pdf veiwer, which you could have easily found out within a couple minutes of searching. If that is all you bought it for, again, sell it.
I always get the biggest when i read user errors, and complain how bad the device is when in actuallity they never read any instructions, and have no idea how to work their device.

I have hundreds of epub books quite few pDF in novel form and mauals all read fine to me.

I love it, don't know how to use the device and it's the devices fault.
Alot of time i chalk these up to being plants or trolls who actually don't own it. maybe on the Kindle take.

sounds a bit paranoid but they are actually out there, i should know my friend in college was a paid troll .
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote