Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-12-2010, 05:48 PM   #1
nickredding
onlinenewsreader.net
nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, IPad3, iPhone4, Playbook, HTC Inspire
Calibre/Kindle 3--killer combination!

I upgraded from Kindle 2 to Kindle 3 for the reduced form factor and improved e-ink contrast. However, I have discovered that the most valuable new capability of Kindle 3 comes when combined with Calibre. I was accustomed to having Calibre download my favorite newspapers daily, which I would load into my Kindle 2 via the USB connection. I reckon I would have spent over $75/month using Amazon's 3G wireless delivery service (at 35 cents/mb if I remember correctly).

The Kindle 3 will download documents sent to yourname@free.kindle.com when it is wifi-connected, at no charge. The convenience of finding my morning newspapers on my Kindle 3 every day when I open it is worth the cost of the unit by itself. Add to that the vastly improved e-ink contrast and it's a no-brainer.

My only regret is paying the extra $50 for the 3G/wifi version instead of just getting the wifi version. I doubt I will ever use the 3G--the web interface over 3G is speed-crippled and pretty well useless, and when I want something I'm generally in a wifi zone. My only other complaint is the Back button is right below the redesigned 4-way controller, and I sometimes hit it by accident when aiming for the down button. All in all, though, Kindle 3 combined with calibre is absolutely fabulous!
nickredding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 05:53 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Indeed, if you are a heavy user of periodicals, the email delivery to the wifi K3 is very convenient
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2010, 10:24 AM   #3
Mixx
Zealot
Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3
Yes, indeed, and I am just getting my teeth into this.

And am already overwhelmed by the number of news dowload on Kindle. For some reason, I can not put them into any collection, the option on the menu for news items is grayed out.

Is there a way to have the news feed land in some (periodicals?) collection or anything like that?

Also, on the Kindle-3 the date of the feed is displayed in the column where for other books the author is shown. However, when I sort according to author, they all show up at "C", I suppose C for Calibre (which is the author showing in Calibre on the desktop).

Interestingly, if I email the feed, then the date is added to the title and shown on the Kindle. However, when I download using the USB cable, the date is not appended to the title.

Are these metadata issues?

Thanxx, Mixx
Mixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 11:24 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

the kindle does not allow periodicals to be put into collections, ask Amazon why.

I decided not to put the date in the title for kindle news since it is displayed anyway.
Old 11-03-2010, 02:01 PM   #5
Mixx
Zealot
Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I decided not to put the date in the title for kindle news since it is displayed anyway.
Thanks Kovid,

but what I am saying is that the date is added to the title (and thus shown twice) if I automatically mail the news to my kindle.

Not a big deal, but it is different if the news is transferred via USB.

Regards, Mixx
Advert
Old 11-03-2010, 02:11 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

That will be done by the amazon conversion service.
Old 11-03-2010, 04:54 PM   #7
Mixx
Zealot

I see, thanks. Since they detect that this a news feed (they do not append the date for books) they could just as well put it into the periodicals collection. I'll make the suggestion.