Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 12-26-2013, 02:36 PM   #1
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
Nexus 7 2013 1st Impressions

After 24 hours, I like it. It's a little different from my Galaxy Player 5 inch. The extra processor speed is nice. So is the combination of the light weight and larger screen. The GP5 was getting bogged down by software bloat.

It fits nicely in my old K3 case. So far, so good.
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 04:03 PM   #2
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
I'm liking mine. Nice little portable video player. Played some HD anime, and my, did it look nice.
Reading on it for an extended period of time is my next test for it :-)
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2013, 04:19 PM   #3
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

...and it works with my Targus Bluetooth keyboard. Actually, it works better than it does with the GP5. The Samsung has some key-mapping problems, probably due to Gingerbread.

As to reading, I happened to be starting a novel the other day, and started it on the Nexus 7. I had no problem. I did keep the brightness on 'Auto', so the light level of the screen matched the ambient light. With the GP5, matching light levels was a little chancy, so I had a bit more eyestrain. (Of course the extra 2 " of screen have no bearing on that, right?)

I did try the freebie 'La Luna' video that Google gives away. It watched fine on the 7" screen. The thingk I really like is that there is a 7" screen in the weight of a past-technology 5" package. I owned a Nook color for 13 days, but took it back because of the weight and balance. It just wasn't comfortable to hold.

I haven't tried any significant music listening. I suspect I'll still prefer my Clip+ for that. The Nexus is a little large for that purpose. I also haven't tried the camera in any particular serious way. A selfie and a picture of my cat isn't much of a trial. Again, I'll probably use a purpose-made camera for real pictures. I also havent explored portability yet. In the case, it's a bit bulky for easy transport, whereas the GP5 fits in my pocket next to my cell phone. I probably won't put the N7 in my pocket without a case. It's a little large and fragile seeming for that.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Old 12-27-2013, 05:19 PM   #4
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist

As to the camera, it's OK, the image quality is fine, but a 7" tablet just isn't a good ergonomic platform for picture taking. This is the best from an afternoon at Mass Audubon's Ipswich River Wildlife Sanctuary.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20131227_151002.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	117271  
Old 12-27-2013, 05:36 PM   #5
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
My first impressions: I've had it about 3 1/2 weeks. I love it! It is the best tablet I have ever used. I love the size and weight, and I love the screen. I love that it is not obfuscated with a skin (such as Amazon/BN etc) or bloatware etc. It is SO nice for reading on, it has become my favorite reading device. I can read on it much more easily than on anything else I own. I "only" have the 16gb model, but that is plenty, I have all the reading apps I want on it, and over 5000 documents, and still have over 8gb space available. I might wish it was a little shorter, but other than that, I have no complaints.

I didn't get it for the camera, but I did take a selfie, and a pic of my dog I thought I might share it with my girls (due to the camera) but nobody's getting their hands on my baby

I don't have it in a case, just a Poetic Graphgrip shell, which I love. I don't take it out of the house, so works for me! Well I found a Poetic case on Amazon for $6 so I got it, in anticipation of times when I might want to take it somewhere. (Here's the link FYI)

Last edited by booklover6; 12-27-2013 at 05:52 PM.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2013, 12:40 PM   #6
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3g/KFHD 7"/Nexus 7/Nexus 7.2
Have both the original and the the new one. The 7.2 is better in many ways, faster, longer battery life, better screen resolution. The new camera opens up possibility's the original could not do well.

One of the best features to me is the Qi wireless charging ability that saves the usb/charging port from wear and tear. My original Nexus 7's port is starting to develop some slop when plunging the usb cord in, after a year of heavy use.

The ability to charge wireless saves the port from the wear of having to plug in the charger everyday of heavy use..

Love it!
DustyDisks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 02:17 AM   #7
mystika1
Addict
mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Air 2, , Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura H2Ov1, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
My first impressions: I've had it about 3 1/2 weeks. I love it! It is the best tablet I have ever used. I love the size and weight, and I love the screen. I love that it is not obfuscated with a skin (such as Amazon/BN etc) or bloatware etc. It is SO nice for reading on, it has become my favorite reading device. I can read on it much more easily than on anything else I own. I "only" have the 16gb model, but that is plenty, I have all the reading apps I want on it, and over 5000 documents, and still have over 8gb space available. I might wish it was a little shorter, but other than that, I have no complaints.

I didn't get it for the camera, but I did take a selfie, and a pic of my dog I thought I might share it with my girls (due to the camera) but nobody's getting their hands on my baby

I don't have it in a case, just a Poetic Graphgrip shell, which I love. I don't take it out of the house, so works for me! Well I found a Poetic case on Amazon for $6 so I got it, in anticipation of times when I might want to take it somewhere. (Here's the link FYI)
Hi,
I wanted to ask you if the size of the tablet a lot smaller compared to the book HD+? I have been reading on the HD+ and don't know if I would like reading on a smaller screen. I have been happy with the HD+ but my husband wanted to get me a new tablet for my birthday. I figure of I am going to spend money on another tablet... It better have higher PPI and better processor.

Also, is it really that big of a difference in screen quality?

Sincerely,

Penny
mystika1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 02:57 AM   #8
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystika1 View Post
Hi,
I wanted to ask you if the size of the tablet a lot smaller compared to the book HD+? I have been reading on the HD+ and don't know if I would like reading on a smaller screen. I have been happy with the HD+ but my husband wanted to get me a new tablet for my birthday. I figure of I am going to spend money on another tablet... It better have higher PPI and better processor.

Sincerely,

Penny
It is approximately the same width as a DVD. The height is slightly taller than a DVD case. The screen, of course, is smaller. Especially in height.

The screen is better than the original Nexus 7, but it's not major difference to me. I don't read anything but online articles on it. Those who read more extensively on them might notice more of a difference.

If you wanted a larger size, then you might look into the Kindle Fire HDX 8.9. The screen should be about the same size as your Nook. The Nexus 10 would be an option, but Google didn't bring out a new one of those.

Last edited by Fluribus; 12-29-2013 at 02:59 AM.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 06:40 AM   #9
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
I just spent the last 6 hrs, on and off every hour or so, reading on it using Mantano. I used the sepia theme and turned the brightness WAY down.

I liked it. I've got the Bobjgear cover/case/thingy, so that makes the edges big, just the right size for holding. Once I'm more comfortable with Mantano, I might try creating some of my own color schemes to see what works better for me.
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 07:15 AM   #10
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystika1 View Post
Hi,

Sincerely,

Penny
I find the HD+ too large for reading for my taste. I will take a pic of them side by side and post it later today. I think the Nexus 7.2 is perfect for reading.
Old 12-29-2013, 11:56 AM   #11
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Ok, here are pics of the Nook HD+ next to the Nexus 7.2, to compare screen sizes.

Pic 1

pic 2

In pic 2, the bottoms of the devices are lined up.

(both are showing a book in Moon reader, but I don't have my side loaded font on the Nook HD+, since I don't read on it).

Last edited by booklover6; 12-29-2013 at 11:59 AM.
Old 12-29-2013, 03:12 PM   #12
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist

...And I still prefer my Clip+ for music. I had to hunt around the Android store for a decent player for my collection which includes WMAs as well as MP3s. Google does not play WMAs (cue prissy, superior sniff). I settled on Poweramp, not because it was perfect, but because it was the first one I came to that was good enough. I just want to listen to some music, people, not commit my soul to a single, ringing, crystalline-pure music player that rules them all. Sheesh.

A minor plus, the 2-band Wi-Fi allowed me to pop up to the mostly empty 5 MHz band, leaving the lower 2.5 MHz band to my wife's laptop and my Kindle.

Someday I may do a better review, too. All of the usual things about tablets are at worst adequate on the N7.

Oh, one piece of free advice, worth every penny you paid: Don't go hog wild buying really great accessories. Shop around.

A $3 wire easel from a craft store will make a fine desk stand. I have one at work and one at home ... and they work with both Kindles and Nexii! It's a floor-wax and a dessert-topping! A chopstick and a binder clip will do in a pinch.

Also, there are good $10 EVA zip cases that will protect your N7 for transport. They don't have to be purpose built. My old K3 had a case that loosely fits the N7 (freebie!) and my KPW1 lives in a similar case.

As to ear buds, the candy-colored $5 ones in the bin at the cash register at WalGreens are my favorite, and you never misplace them, because candy-colored.
Old 12-29-2013, 05:20 PM   #13
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

How does the Nexus 5 (phone) work as an ereader?
Old 12-29-2013, 09:47 PM   #14
mystika1
Addict
mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Air 2, , Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura H2Ov1, Kobo Mini
Thank you for posting the pics. I have looked at the Google n7 and the specs are great. I have made a bootable 32gb microsd card running kitkat 4.2.2 for my nook HD+ and really like it. (From what i gather.. The n7 runs kitkat as well) Ihave a feeling that I will likely give in and purchase the n7 or maybe the 10 as I am a tablet junky. :-) I read today that Amazon will be releasing a new 300ppi sink paperwhite in the second quarter of 2014. That will be interesting as well.

Thanks again,

Penny
mystika1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 07:31 AM   #15
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Yes the 2013 N7 runs KitKat.

Google has not updated the Nexus 10 yet, it is still the 2012 model. So if you really want a bigger tablet, maybe you should wait for a new one (at which time they may clearance price the old one).

But if you are a tablet junkie, I'd say get the 2013 Nexus 7, you will love it. I'm a bit of a tablet junkie myself....I have 3 for my personal use, and 4 that are my kids' which I manage. So I didn't really need a Nexus, but when I read how good it was for reading, I got one anyway. No regrets, it's the best!

Last edited by booklover6; 12-30-2013 at 07:34 AM.