Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-26-2011, 06:33 AM   #1
AliBaba77
AliBaba77 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Disabling WiFi on $79 Kindle??

Okay, I know this seems strange but Santa brought my 9yr old daughter a Kindle for Christmas. Problem is, I'm not too comfortable with handing over unfettered access to the internet to a child. Unfortunately, this device does just that. I have it blocked from my router (unless her mom or I enter the password on the router configuration) but if she's somewhere else other than home, there's potential for exposure. And to make matters worse, Amazon has gone and added a browser to the blasted thing.

I'm curious as to whether or not someone has spent the time to develop a hack/mod that will disable WiFi altogether. I know I could just "unregister" the unit and that would address most of my concerns but not 100%. I have Google'd this subject and found several other interested parties but none with a workable solution to date. Well, unless you count the home made padlocked, zippered pocketbook with a clear PVC front panel.

At any rate, the Kindle is a hit with my daughter. She has hardly put it down.

Thanks for any advice you may offer!
AliBaba77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 02:47 AM   #2
LittleLui
LittleLui began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Just an idea: jailbreak it and remove/rename the browser? The browser location is documented in the wiki, so this should be a viable way of removing/disabling browser functionality[1]. This would still keep over-the-air-delivery of content available.
I think it should also be able to simply prevent startup of the wifi itself[2] (probably by removing a corresponding init script from /etc/upstart, but i can't verify this right now).

regards, lui

[1] ... at first. After a few weeks it might become a viable way of creating interest in ssh, linux and creative use of technology in your daughter while she tries to get the browser to work again. Which would be a good thing, too.
[2] Of course [1] also applies here.
LittleLui is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2011, 09:36 PM   #3
AliBaba77
AliBaba77 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
That seems like a viable option. I still have some concern about her accessing books that may be out of her reading level.

At any rate, I'm going to try an tinker with the idea a bit. If you or anyone else comes up with something that works before I post something please post here too.

Thanks folks!!
AliBaba77 is offline   Reply With Quote