Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-03-2010, 08:44 AM   #1
Bro Pete
Connoisseur
Bro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Sony PRS 650
Sony Reader Store download problem

Every time I try to download a book from the reader store (free or purchased) it gives me a message "Our Reader Store software is required to purchase and download ebooks. Download it here."

I have downloaded the software. I make sure it is running. I've tried it with my 650 connected and disconnected. I just can't get past the preliminary step to download the file. Anyone else have this problem? Anyone know know a fix?
Bro Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 08:53 AM   #2
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
Hey Bro Pete,
Fire up the Reader software. On the far left hand side, you'll see some icons running down the page. (Library, Status, eBook Store, Computer). Click on the eBook store icon. This will take you to the Sony Reader Store, where you will have to sign into your account. From there, you should be able to buy what you need, (unless you run afoul of the geographic restrictions).
It took me about an hour and a half to figure out how to buy my first book, so don't feel bad.
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2010, 09:30 AM   #3
mrscoach
Guru
mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy tab
yeah, for some reason Sony makes it LOOK like you can buy from their website, but you can't. You have to run the software you already downloaded and buy from there.
mrscoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 02:35 PM   #4
Bro Pete
Connoisseur
Bro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfolded

Wow! Thanks guys. I feel kinda dumb. Once I buy and download a book maybe I could get someone to read it to me.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:13 PM   #5
Under the Covers
Night Reader
Under the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bro Pete View Post
Wow! Thanks guys. I feel kinda dumb. Once I buy and download a book maybe I could get someone to read it to me.
Good one!
Under the Covers is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2010, 06:52 PM   #6
mrscoach
Guru
mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy tab
Depending on where in central Texas, I might.

It took me a while to figure it out, too. Don't feel too bad, Sony doesn't make that part clear.
mrscoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 08:20 PM   #7
Jeri Patrick
I like to watch
Jeri Patrick began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-650
I think Sony should be embarrassed by their Reader software. There's nothing intuitive about it, you end up going round in circles trying to register and it just makes you want to tear your hair out!
Jeri Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 08:54 PM   #8
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeri Patrick View Post
I think Sony should be embarrassed by their Reader software. There's nothing intuitive about it, you end up going round in circles trying to register and it just makes you want to tear your hair out!
I disagree. I've never had a problem with the Sony software and the UI is very similar to iTunes.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 09:31 PM   #9
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
I agree with Jeri. The Reader software leaves much to be desired.

I'm not an Apple fan grrl, but I think iTunes, while not perfect, is better designed and easier to use. Sony Reader just seems as though they tried to design as minimal a program as possible just to get something out there.

Other than using it to access the Sony ebook store (which I haven't been impressed with) there's really no point to the software at all. You can't edit meta tags with it, and it's easier to just drag-and-drop ebooks into the reader than to fire up the Sony software.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 07:31 AM   #10
Bro Pete
Connoisseur

Xanthe, Since I obviously haven't been using the Sony program for downloading books, I've been using Calibre for all my book transfer needs.
I was aware of dragging and dropping files but I have a question. Does the D and D goober up the file tree with lots of folders and duplicates? I have always been a stickler for eliminating extra folders and files on my electronics. I feel the need to eliminate dead ends and empty folders, it just feels more efficient.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:21 AM   #11
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Clutter depends on you... if you don't copy it over then it doesn't appear, drag half a dozen books over and that's all that goes but drag a load of folders then you'll get the additional clutter. I use both calibre and drag'n'drop to move books but I move my books from a separate copy of the collection rather than calibre's original store which is really cluttered with extra stuff.
If you are only going to move from calibre itself then I'd stick to calibre's internal transfer but from elsewhere d'n'd works fine provided you select what you move carefully...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bro Pete View Post
I was aware of dragging and dropping files but I have a question. Does the D and D goober up the file tree with lots of folders and duplicates? I have always been a stickler for eliminating extra folders and files on my electronics. I feel the need to eliminate dead ends and empty folders, it just feels more efficient.
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
download ebooks, sony reader store