Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 10-29-2013, 10:25 AM   #1
ZoeRochelle
Sigil Addict
ZoeRochelle began at the beginning.

Device: Apple iPad Air 2
Exclamation Don't upgrade to Apple OS X Mavericks

If you value your ebook collection and use iBooks on your reader, I suggest you don't upgrade to Apple OS X Mavericks.

Luckily, I had a Time Machine backup and was able to restore my system to the old OS.

The new iBooks for Mac is the default ebook app in Mavericks. Meaning you can no longer use iTunes to manage your books.

Upon opening the app (no, there's no warning to backup your files, etc.) it moves all of your files in iTunes "books" folder into iBooks AND RENAMES THE FILES. All of your books will have alphanumeric gibberish as their filenames. The author folders are gone. The book files are stored deep into the operating system.

There's more issues, sync to iPad/iPhone not working, PDFs missing, metadata gone. See the apple discussion forum for more info. https://discussions.apple.com/commun...ibooks_for_mac

(Can a Moderator move this to the Apple Devices section? Oops.)

Last edited by ZoeRochelle; 10-29-2013 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Added note
ZoeRochelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:21 AM   #2
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
Upgrade to Maverick? I've just downgraded from Mountain Lion to Snow Leopard and disabled updates in order to solve the long-standing problem of not being able to connect reliably to a host of routers. The only one ML would connect to was - fanfare - Apple's Airport Extreme (and probably Airport Express also).

Bonus: I got my scroll arrows back, but I pay a price in not being able to sync my computer calendar with icloud and one or two other nice things that came in Lion and ML.
James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:54 AM   #3
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle 3/Kobo Aura HD, iPhone 6
Interesting - I have upgraded to Mavericks and had no problems with my ebooks. Everything working as it should. I should add that I don't use iBooks but use Marvin. Hope the problem works itself out.
chilady1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:08 PM   #4
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Same here, I upgraded to Mavericks, use both iBook and Marvin and have had zero problem (I've been using the two side by side while I experiment with them). They had some problems with the early betas, so it could be the reports are based on the beta rather than the final version.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:42 PM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
I use Ibooks on my apple devices, and did upgrade....I don't use Itunes to organize books.....i am just bringing them over from the Calibre library to my macbook air and have noticed no file name changes.

So far I'm loving Mountain Lion....and haven't had any problems...
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 01:20 AM   #6
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
I use iBooks and upgraded to Mavericks and everything worked perfectly for me. I haven't worried yet about file names or book locations, but I know it very easily transferred all my books from iTunes to the new iBooks app with all my notes and annotations intact, and I'm loving the new ability to use iBooks on my Mac now.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:30 AM   #7
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
There have been a lot of issues with Maverick. Even if this isn't one of them (it is too late for me) waiting to upgrade would be good to get out the kinks. I've heard issues with MS Office, accessing network printers, etc etc
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:37 AM   #8
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
The only issue I've had is with flicking on one machine hooked up to a TV with HDMI, but I am sure that will get fixed. Otherwise, very happy with Mavericks.
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:37 AM   #9
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
I don't use iBooks on the iPad, never liked how it worked nor the lock-in from buying through it. However, I've not had any of the other mentioned issues with Mavericks, ML, Lion or SL. I've used several brands of router/modems over the years and never had an issue connecting wired or wireless to them.

The only issue I can recall experiencing to date is how Apple messed up multiple monitors in Lion/ML but that's finally been resolved in Mavericks. Plus the file sharing between windows and mac is a lot more stable now with Apple's move to SMB2 rather than their proprietary AFP.

I wouldn't call Mavericks a great improvement, but it does fix a few annoyances that were introduced in ML and Lion.

I would have thought though that if people like iBooks on the iPad, having it available on the Mac would be a bonus? I'd rather use the kindle app or goodreader though with calibre for managing books on the Mac.

Bug wise, anyone who updates to a new release within the first month or so is likely in for a bumpy ride. Usually I'd hold off at least that long, but I felt like being a guinea pig for a change

Last edited by JoeD; 10-30-2013 at 07:41 AM.
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:50 AM   #10
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoeRochelle View Post
If you value your ebook collection and use iBooks on your reader, I suggest you don't upgrade to Apple OS X Mavericks....Upon opening the app (no, there's no warning to backup your files, etc.) it moves all of your files in iTunes "books" folder into iBooks AND RENAMES THE FILES. All of your books will have alphanumeric gibberish as their filenames....See the apple discussion forum for more info. https://discussions.apple.com/commun...ibooks_for_mac
That is just plain scary. My wife just bought a new Mac and it came with Maverick installed. Fortunately my iPad syncs with my Windows PC and not with my wife's Mac.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoeRochelle View Post
(Can a Moderator move this to the Apple Devices section? Oops.)
Done. We are now in Apple Devices,

Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnfan View Post
There have been a lot of issues with Maverick. Even if this isn't one of them (it is too late for me) waiting to upgrade would be good to get out the kinks. I've heard issues with MS Office, accessing network printers, etc etc
Although it seems no one here has of yet reported any problems except for ZoeRochelle, from the Apple discussions link in the first post it's apparent that many people have. Those of us who haven't can count themselves fortunate.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 10-30-2013 at 09:07 AM. Reason: Added the clarifier, "Windows."
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:59 AM   #11
Lyn2012
Addict
Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPhone 8, iPad Pro
Mavericks is a no go area for me since I found out the ability to sync calendar and contact information has been removed - unless you want all your info stored in the cloud, which I don't.

Neither have I been able to upgrade to iOS7 as Apple broke the audiobook chapters functionality. I usually keep all my devices up to date software wise, but this years so called improvements would leave me with less functional devices so I will be giving them a miss. Of course this means that I won't be buying new hardware either.
Lyn2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:30 AM   #12
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
No go here as well --- I simply don't see how Apple justifies not maintaining Rosetta --- I need it until someone comes up w/ a better drawing program than FreeHand.

Probably I'm going to have to haul out my OPENSTEP 4.2 disks and install OS into a virtual machine so that I can use Altsys Virtuoso --- at least that way I'll get Display PostScript back.
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 05:31 PM   #13
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Munch View Post
The only issue I've had is with flicking on one machine hooked up to a TV with HDMI, but I am sure that will get fixed. Otherwise, very happy with Mavericks.
Do you mean the screen flickers? I also have a Mac connected to a television through HDMI and it works the same with Mavericks as it did before (no flickering or anything).
Old 10-30-2013, 05:46 PM   #14
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
...Although it seems no one here has of yet reported any problems except for ZoeRochelle, from the Apple discussions link in the first post it's apparent that many people have. Those of us who haven't can count themselves fortunate.
So far I've had no problems at all and I'm really enjoying some of the new features. I'm still not sure what exactly happened to the original poster - did she somehow lose her entire book library, or is she upset that the new iBooks renamed files and moved them to a new location? If it's the latter, then to me it doesn't seem like a big deal, but I suppose if one likes to have things organised in a certain way and has a large library then it could be a pain. If it's the former and she lost her library, then that is something major.

I think any new system would always have differences that some people won't like or kinks to work out, and Mavericks will be no different. I do count myself lucky I personally haven't had to deal with any yet with Mavericks.

ETA - Though it sounds like the original poster solved her problem, I became curious to find the locations of the books in iBooks. If anyone else would like to know, here is a link to an article that describes how to find them. Here's the basic steps:

1 - If your user library isn't already visible, make it visible. Do this by opening Finder, having the view on your user folders (which normally includes "Documents", "Downloads", etc.), then pressing "command-J" (or choosing "show view options" under the "view" menu tab), and then checking "show library folder" from the options.

2 - Follow this path starting with the now visible user Library - /Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks. As ZoeRochelle said, books will now be labelled with alpha-numeric code, though I've noticed some such as PDFs are still labelled with their original title.

Last edited by sun surfer; 10-30-2013 at 06:18 PM.
Old 10-30-2013, 06:15 PM   #15
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Mavericks has been a smooth transition for me, though it killed McAfee Antivirus (no great loss). Even Fusion 4 seems to run okay (but I've moved my VMs over to a Windows system for the time being). I don't do much with iBooks or iTunes so if there are problems there they don't affect me.

On the 'improved' side I have not had a failed shutdown since the update. Before this, Chrome (or Firefox) would sometimes fail to shut down and that would prevent normal system shutdown/restart. Though by the time I updated, I had developed the habit of quitting the browser when I was done for the day (I normally don't shut down my MBP for days at a time, and never quit the browser either).
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
ibooks for mac, mavericks