Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 07-22-2010, 04:15 AM   #1
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
International Forum Author Promos

I know this may be contentious, but I, for one, am getting a little irritated by Author promotions that are Geographically Restricted .... Whether these are free, or by payment ..... !!!!

As we are an International Site, perhaps we ought to restrict promotions accordingly !!!!!

[Sorry, I'll get back into my 'cage'] .....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 08:07 AM   #2
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
I've noticed this, too, Geoff. As part of a community (at least I hope that's why they're posting here), authors who promote their work in the forums should warn us of geographical restrictions on their work. They should also strive to do something about it. I don't know the US-'foreigner' ratio at MR, but there's at least a hugely significant minority of non-US residents who would apprectiate this simple courtesy. Cheers. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 08:51 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I agree that it's a simple matter of courtesy for an author to indicate when their book is restricted in some way.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 09:07 AM   #4
suecsi
Rock Chick
suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle 2i, Kindle DX, Kindle 3G
Geoff C and HarryT. I'm getting annoyed with all the Kindle freebies that are geo-restricted - if it is in the title I won't bother wasting my time to click through .....
suecsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 09:13 AM   #5
GeoffC
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Beloved of prefixes, is there a possibility of highlighting limitations with prefixes ....

Geo - for geographic restrictions
drm - for the obvious
dev - for device specific (ie Kindle)

and any others anyone else can think of ....

hopefully not too many Authors are using mobileread solely to plug their wares and are, at least, making other contributions ....
Old 07-22-2010, 09:52 AM   #6
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
Beloved of prefixes, is there a possibility of highlighting limitations with prefixes ....

drm - for the obvious

hopefully not too many Authors are using mobileread solely to plug their wares and are, at least, making other contributions ....

hopefully, they will contribute but I would not hold your cyberbreath too long.....
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 10:21 AM   #7
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
I like that idea, especially the DRM part of it. If I can't tell right away whether a book is DRM-restricted or not, I usually won't even follow up on it. My TBR list is already out of control, and I'm not going to buy something that requires advance research just to make it longer.

I don't know about anyone else, but for me, most fiction is an impulse purchase. Make me do too much (read: any) research on whether or not I can actually use the book, and the impulse passes before I'm done.

If the book is DRM-restricted, I'm not going to buy it under any circumstances (you're not a better writer than Tolkien, and I won't buy LotR because of DRM) so you might as well tell me up front, and save the loss of goodwill that comes about when I waste my time finding out. I'm sure that's equally true for the people who have to deal with geo restrictions, device limitations, etc.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 04:07 AM   #8
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:

drm - for the obvious

Just off the top of my own head (no Moderator hat), how about the same but opposite, similar to that thing Neil sometimes adds to his sig'. That is, only create prefixes for "DRMFREE" and "WORLDWIDE" and other positive attributes. Give authors something to aim for?

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 04:16 AM   #9
GeoffC

Anything that is simple for them to use, and explanatory for the rest of us ....
Old 07-27-2010, 04:21 AM   #10
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Anything that is simple for them to use, and explanatory for the rest of us ....
I like stuff like "DRMFREE" because it adds that little, extra coloured "flag-waving" tag to a post, and in the author promo forum any extra visibility is good, especially when so many potential readers are looking for that particular type, for instance.

That is to say, Geoff, I think you're idea is a good one...I just turned it on its head a little.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 04:28 AM   #11
GeoffC

Okay, I'll certainly buy the "drmfree" prefix - and also "worldwide" - yes - your suggestion is more positive than my original one was ....

ps have you noticed how many freebies seems to be only for the Kindle .... !!!!!
Old 07-27-2010, 09:13 AM   #12
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
We are encouraging posters to add more info to thread titles in the "Deals, Freebies" section - koland in particular is trying to squeeze as much as she can, and other posters seem to be following her lead. See here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...33&postcount=1

Will this type of thread title be workable for you?
Adding prefixes can be challenging and time-consuming to apply & keep current, esp. for a forum in which threads for deals/offers appear & age off quickly.

One other thought would be to somewhat emulate the Kindle "Free Books" sticky thread - have 1 thread/month extensively labeled: "DRMFree Kindle SciFi Freebies", "DRM US-Only Kindle Romance" - and restart a new thread monthly.

Any way you go will be labor intensive.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 05:03 AM   #13
GeoffC

yes i've certainly noticed more useful info being added to titles which is good and welcome.

the forum as a whole is going to get very long, i like your idea of monthly threads which may go some way towards making it more administratively manageable.