Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 08-01-2010, 03:44 AM   #166
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Quote:
Originally Posted by firefox View Post
Has anyone else used a random US address for the billing address? I'm slightly uncomfortable that they may send an invoice or the like to that billing address with sensitive credit card/PayPal information which could be used for fraud.
I think in order to do that, they'd have to snail-mail a physical invoice to whomever lives there, and I don't really see B&N spending the postage to do so unless all the charges have been bouncing.

Perhaps for your peace of mind, you might want to look into setting up an account with one of those US-based package receiving/overseas re-shipping services.

I think a number of them will let you simply register for free (various providers have been mentioned upthread), and you'll also get the advantage of being able to possibly save postage on/obtain physical items that vendors don't normally sell to your region.

And that way if something goes wrong, you know whom to sue.

A possible way to minimize your CC fraud risk might be to reserve one credit card solely for "US" stuff (assuming you have more than one and the spare is a no-annual fee CC with low credit limit, or better yet, one of those prepaid ones in a relatively small denomination).

Then if the occasion ever arises that you do have to shut that down, at least your normal daily usage on your regular CC won't be affected.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 01:10 AM   #167
AlexRaRe
AlexRaRe began at the beginning.

Device: Nook (Wi-Fi only) / 32GB iPod Touch
Hi there, I'm form Mexico and I own a nook (Wi-Fi only). Regarding your questions about the usage/uploading content on your nook, it supports epub, PDF and .txt. Now, if you want to download ebooks from b&n you'll first need a VPN provider (as bn.com recognizes your IP and if it isn't a US you won't be able to download ANY content). Next you'll need an international credit card and, a US address (which is the hardest deal)
AlexRaRe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2010, 01:13 AM   #168
AlexRaRe

Still, there are a HUGE number of sites that let you download ebooks for free (i.e. Project Gutenberg, ManyBooks, Google Books, or Curriki for eTextbooks)
Old 08-07-2010, 02:51 PM   #169
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexRaRe View Post
Hi there, I'm form Mexico and I own a nook (Wi-Fi only). Regarding your questions about the usage/uploading content on your nook, it supports epub, PDF and .txt. Now, if you want to download ebooks from b&n you'll first need a VPN provider (as bn.com recognizes your IP and if it isn't a US you won't be able to download ANY content). Next you'll need an international credit card and, a US address (which is the hardest deal)
You can use any valid USA address. Disneyland, the Yankee stadium, google something. Nothing hard about that.
For a VPN you can use Hotspot Shield (free) or alwaysVPN ($8.50).
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 03:40 AM   #170
grimborg
Enthusiast
grimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toys

Device: PRS-T1
Purelygadgets seem to be overloaded with orders and take a long time to ship, as of the last weeks. Maybe ebay is a better option. I have triedy purelygadgets and canceled my order, I'm going for ebay. Fingers crossed, I hope I don't receive a brick with a smiley on it!
grimborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2010, 07:30 PM   #171
EricDP
Groupie
EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook, BlackBerry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BooksOnBowser View Post
Called the Sales Audit Team today after another email saying they can't process order. Got through in about 20 seconds flat to a guy called Mike. He said we just wanted to make you aware that you can't download books outside of the US. I said I was aware of the copyright restrctions. He said no problem I'll release for shipping now.
Well if that's the case, then why do you need the forwarder at all? Why won't they just ship direct to you after they confirm you understand you can't buy their books?

I've sent an email to customer service asking just that question... Let's see where this goes.
EricDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 04:29 PM   #172
BooksOnBowser
Enthusiast
BooksOnBowser knows what time it isBooksOnBowser knows what time it isBooksOnBowser knows what time it isBooksOnBowser knows what time it isBooksOnBowser knows what time it isBooksOnBowser knows what time it isBooksOnBowser knows what time it isBooksOnBowser knows what time it isBooksOnBowser knows what time it isBooksOnBowser knows what time it isBooksOnBowser knows what time it is

Device: Kobo Libra h2o
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricDP View Post
Well if that's the case, then why do you need the forwarder at all? Why won't they just ship direct to you after they confirm you understand you can't buy their books?

I've sent an email to customer service asking just that question... Let's see where this goes.
Good point Eric, how this started was I placed the order and asked for shipping to a UK address at which point the website spat the order out.

The only way I could get past this hurdle was to use a US address and the only way for me personally was to use US Unlocked.

I suspect the truth is
1) They don't want the hassle of shipping overseas, knowing full well that you are going to use it. In other words their 'system' has a clean conscience because they send to a US address

2) They can process the order as normal as they don't need to calculate shipping for you as it is free shipping in the US.

Let's see how you get on, I suspect they may refuse to ship to a different address. Let's hope you get Mike as I understand it's a bit hit and miss.
BooksOnBowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 06:14 PM   #173
EricDP
Groupie
EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You may be right that they just don't want to deal with (or have not yet negotiated) foreign shipping agreements.

What number did you end up calling?

So far, I've submitted to their online form and had two back-and-forths. The first just said they couldn't sell a nook outside the US. I responded by clearly stating that I understood about publishing territory and didn't want to purchase books, I just wanted the device to read my local libray books and free downloads from Gutenberg etc.. They replied that they actually can sell certain book to people in Canada, and nook users in Canada can buy them, but they still can't sell a nook outside the US.

So my next question will be how do I become a nook user in Canada... which I expect they will reply with "buy one in US and bring it home".
Old 08-19-2010, 04:01 PM   #174
BooksOnBowser
Enthusiast
BooksOnBowser knows what time it isBooksOnBowser knows what time it isBooksOnBowser knows what time it isBooksOnBowser knows what time it isBooksOnBowser knows what time it isBooksOnBowser knows what time it isBooksOnBowser knows what time it isBooksOnBowser knows what time it isBooksOnBowser knows what time it isBooksOnBowser knows what time it isBooksOnBowser knows what time it is

Device: Kobo Libra h2o
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricDP View Post
What number did you end up calling?
Sorry Eric I didn't keep a note of the number, but it was the one on the email they sent to me stating there was a problem with the order.

They will not respond to email, bear in mind the only way they knew I was in the UK was that I was using a US Unlocked address which flagged up on their system.

I paid with a US credit card and offered a US address.

The sales audit team just want to check you aren't a fraudster; as their system presumably says, we have sent 100 odd (or whatever) Nooks to that address!
BooksOnBowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 07:02 PM   #175
Paco
Paco began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch
HEre is my experience buying the nook outside US (Chile), I haven't received the nook yet but is shipping right now to a mail address in Miami and then flying to me.

Fisrt time I tried ordering the nook with my non us address, the system didn't let me, then I used on shippping and billing the US address I have with the service I hire and the system let me through, but somehow my payment got declined on my VISA, but I updated the number of the card and I was lucky, the payment was accepted.
All this process was without any VNC service you are talking here, but I assume I will have to use it when I need to buy books.

Now the shipping is in process (I chose free option). I calculate a week more of waiting, I'll let you know when I get it.
Paco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 08:31 PM   #176
EricDP
Groupie

So their answer to "how do I read B&N books in Canada if you won't sell me a nook" is "use nook for PC". Now this is making no sense at all - they have no problem with me using nook software and reading B&N books, and they will ship me a nook cover and other things, but they won't send nook hardware. What's up with that?
Old 08-20-2010, 12:32 PM   #177
ajaynaidu
ajaynaidu began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Quote:

Hi, I am in Australia and use an australian credit card. I use a US billing and shipping address. I use my brother's address. I m told you could pick any address off the internet and B & N don't check.
ajaynaidu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 11:29 PM   #178
AlexRaRe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaynaidu View Post
Hi, I am in Australia and use an australian credit card. I use a US billing and shipping address. I use my brother's address. I m told you could pick any address off the internet and B & N don't check.
Yeah, I first tried to buy something with any address I got. Minutes after my order had been placed it was canceled (their justification was that I didn't have a valid shipping address related to my credit card, so I don't know what to do right now). Is your credit card an international one? Of not, can you buy stuff from B&N?
Old 08-22-2010, 04:41 AM   #179
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Yeah, I first tried to buy something with any address I got. Minutes after my order had been placed it was canceled (their justification was that I didn't have a valid shipping address related to my credit card, so I don't know what to do right now). Is your credit card an international one? Of not, can you buy stuff from B&N?
You need to use a VPN like Hotspot Shield (free) or AlwaysVPN ($8.50) to have an US IP-address when buying books from B&N.
You also need to register your B&N account with a valid US address as shipping address and billing address of your credit card.
The billing address is not verified with your credit card company, so this will work fine.
You can use any valid US address: Disneyland, Yankeestadium, just google something.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 08:24 PM   #180
EricDP
Groupie

This takes the cake!

So I guess B&N isn't going to reply to my last email asking for an explanation about why they won't sell to me in Canada. Meanwhile, a friend of mine spent a couple weeks in Portland so I asked him if he could pick one up for me. Here's the best part about it: In the user manual, Page 35 (of the PDF), it says:

Quote:
Purchasing a NOOK: You can only purchase a NOOK if you have a billing address in the
United States, U.S. territories, or Canada. You cannot purchase a NOOK if you have an
international or APO/FPO (Army Post Office / Fleet Post Office) billing address.
Hmmm... so the official word is you can purchase one in Canada? Go figure...

Tags
b&n, barnes and noble, international, nook, overseas