Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-28-2014, 12:19 PM   #106
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
Purchased a T3 last night and partnered with Calibre (with input from a helpful apprentice), I am quite happy to continue to buy Sony ereaders.
Then it'll be another T3. I seriously doubt they'll produce another e-reader. Unless you buy that that $1100 morbius e-ink pdf reader.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 04:36 PM   #107
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura One, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, Google Pixel Slate
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaughingVulcan View Post
If I were to change, I would either purchase a Kindle if I really still want the e-Ink feel or I'd more likely invest in an iPad Air. (When I think about the number of re-purchases of Sony's I've made, I'm really on par with an iPad's price.)
How is the iPad any better with respect to DRM than an eink-based reader?

And if you mean to read DRM-free content on the iPad, then you could just as well do it on the eink reader.
radius is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2014, 07:12 PM   #108
teija
Gadget fiend
teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite 2021, Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaughingVulcan View Post
(When I think about the number of re-purchases of Sony's I've made, I'm really on par with an iPad's price.)
I've purchased mine slightly used or as really good deals, so the amount I've spent on my eReaders up until last week was under $100. Truth being told, I could have managed perfectly fine with just my Kobo Mini (still my favorite) and that only cost me $38... that's nowhere NEAR the cost of my iPad ($550), and I will not prefer to read on the iPad regardless of cost, as I find the eInk so much easier on my eyes - in fact I bought my eReader long after I bought the iPad, as the iPad just wasn't "cutting it" for my reading activity.
teija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 02:50 PM   #109
PatGIV
Connoisseur
PatGIV began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 & 2 ea. of T2
I too, will continue w/my trusty T1 w/calibre. Both do an excellent job, so why switch?
PatGIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 07:37 PM   #110
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
Then it'll be another T3. I seriously doubt they'll produce another e-reader. Unless you buy that that $1100 morbius e-ink pdf reader.
Ahhh, no. Who knows what the future will bring. My daughter is loving her Kobo Touch and having used the original Kobo without issues, perhaps will head down that path if Sony stop producing ereaders.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2014, 01:53 AM   #111
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Two of my kids have PRS-350s and I gave my other son and his wife my PRS-505 and PRS-950. All of the metioned readers had PRS+ on them. I moved on to a Nexus 7 with Calibre Companion and Moon+ Reader Pro and have never looked back.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 11:58 AM   #112
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I love my T3, best ereader I have owned so far. No page turn issues, collections menu opens in seconds with 3000+ books on SD card, no crashes or reboots, battery lasts well and no spontaneous discharges, back button and all other functions work as expected. Not perfect but better than any others I own or have tried.

If Sony does not produce another ereader in the fall I will get another T3 or a used 350 to replace my broken mini.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 12:00 PM   #113
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 w/SO
I don't own a Sony so I'm shutting-up
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 12:01 PM   #114
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

honest, won't say another word
Old 03-31-2014, 12:01 PM   #115
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf

not even ONE
Old 03-31-2014, 12:02 PM   #116
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf

I'm so bad at this
Old 03-31-2014, 12:16 PM   #117
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorfindel View Post
I don't own a Sony so I'm shutting-up
That's never stopped a Kindle owner before
Old 03-31-2014, 12:19 PM   #118
Rizla
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
I love my T3, best ereader I have owned so far. No page turn issues, collections menu opens in seconds with 3000+ books on SD card, no crashes or reboots, battery lasts well and no spontaneous discharges, back button and all other functions work as expected. Not perfect but better than any others I own or have tried.

If Sony does not produce another ereader in the fall I will get another T3 or a used 350 to replace my broken mini.

Helen
The T3 looks nice (lack of front-light notwithstanding). But you can't customize the user interface. Everything by Sony up to the 650 is much-loved partly because of PRS+. Without PRS+, the firmware was solid, but feature-poor. The T1 / T2 could be rooted, so again they could be customized. The T3 cannot be rooted, so users are stuck with the the solid but less-than-stellar UI that Sony includes.
Old 03-31-2014, 12:19 PM   #119
Rizla
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
Ahhh, no. Who knows what the future will bring. My daughter is loving her Kobo Touch and having used the original Kobo without issues, perhaps will head down that path if Sony stop producing ereaders.
you said Sony.
Old 03-31-2014, 12:26 PM   #120
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
That's never stopped a Kindle owner before
Hey, I only responded in this thread to peoples' comments about Kindles!

Not all of us feel the need to advertise/interject with random ill-informed remarks about non-Amazon products, you know.

Okay, maybe just a little. I did, after all, give Kindles some visibility.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote