Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 01:58 PM   #1
lmittell
Enthusiast
lmittell began at the beginning.

Device: K2, K3, Jetbook Lite, iPhone4
Kindle "spam"

Here's an interesting Reuters piece, via the LA Times (link). It looks as though Amazon needs to beef up quality control viz-à-viz self-published ebooks.

Larry
Old 06-17-2011, 02:05 PM   #2
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
I think the article makes a good point, and it is becoming a problem.

I'm not sure of the solution though since it is probably impractical for Amazon to hire a stable of book readers to approve submissions. But if they want to, I'm hating my job today and would love to apply.

So what other solutions are there:

1. Amazon removing a book after a certain number or percent of refund requests?

2. Amazon adding a review option of "I think this book should be de-listed" and taking action after 100 people agree?

I'm not sure. Those two suggestions would probably incite author wars to knock all the competition off the bestseller lists.
Advert
Old 06-17-2011, 02:05 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
This is already being discussed here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=139489
Old 06-17-2011, 02:19 PM   #4
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
1. Amazon removing a book after a certain number or percent of refund requests?

2. Amazon adding a review option of "I think this book should be de-listed" and taking action after 100 people agree?

I'm not sure. Those two suggestions would probably incite author wars to knock all the competition off the bestseller lists.
As well as give a new tool for the organised moral minority in their crusade to rid the world of anything worth reading/watching/looking at.

I'd rather have the spam. Not that I've noticed any, to be honest. Either it only exists in America or I look for things in a different way to everyone else.
Old 06-17-2011, 02:46 PM   #5
lmittell
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
This is already being discussed here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=139489
Yes, but that discussion is contained in a forum not frequented by some Kindle users (I'm assuming my case is typical).

This forum actually seems a more appropriate spot for continued discussion, if there is any, since the problem appears to be, for the time being, unique to the Kindle.

Larry
Advert
Old 06-17-2011, 02:54 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Nonetheless, we do ask people not to create duplicate threads, and since the other thread was created first I would ask you please to continue the discussion in that thread.

Thanks.
Old 06-17-2011, 03:05 PM   #7
lmittell
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
As well as give a new tool for the organised moral minority in their crusade to rid the world of anything worth reading/watching/looking at.

I'd rather have the spam. Not that I've noticed any, to be honest. Either it only exists in America or I look for things in a different way to everyone else.
It's a two-edged sword, isn't it? An organized extremely liberal minority could do the same thing. Neither outcome would be good.

As to a negative effect on one's ability to wade through Amazon's ebooks, I haven't noticed one either. But the sheer volume of junk suggested by the Reuter's article bodes future ill.

Larry
Closed Thread