Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-25-2011, 08:20 AM   #1
Farhad
Zealot
Farhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheese

Device: N800/Nokia 5230/PB IQ701/PB 360
You helped me once, could you do it again?

Dear friends,

Thanks to a post here and your advice I got myself a PB IQ 701 which I love - so thanks a lot for that! However, I also got a second ereader, one in which I placed great hopes, but ended up finding a mix of good and bad: the JetBook mini. And since, to make things worse, the 'support' at Ectaco is nothing short of Kafkaesque, I would appeal for your expertise once more.

I wanted a small ereader which I could read in the sunlight and in brightly lit rooms. I did not need a large or color screen, but I did hope for a crisp, high contrast screen which would 'feel' as book-like as possible (The JB mini's screen is very nice, but it is also way too dark, not white like a page, but a weird kind of gold in color.). I want neither wifi nor any other capabilities other than book reading. The one thing which I loved with the JB mini is that it runs on AAA batteries. I would like to get a unit which would have either a long-lived battery inside or which would run on regular batteries I could get in a store.

After my disappointment with the JB mini I suppose that I need to get a unit with either e-paper or e-ink (I don't really understand the difference). But what I don't want is ghosting or a noticeable amount of flicker on page turns.

Furthermore, I don't want any DRM capabilities, and I don't need many built-in formats: the ones I use most are, in order, epub, fb2 and txt.

Lastly, and this does matter a lot to me, I want to by a decent to good quality product from a company which does stand behind its units and which cares about its customers.

Is there such an ebook reader out there? Should I go for e-ink or e-paper? Which is the highest, most book-like, quality of screen?

Thanks in advance,

Farhad
Farhad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:24 AM   #2
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
My Aluratek Libra Pro can do all that with the exception of the fb2 format and its one of the smallest on the market, it eink and is great for reading a high lighting environments -does not do well in low lighting environments. It does have DRM reading abilities however if you are reading txt and epub that is not really an issue.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2011, 08:51 AM   #3
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
You're already a Pocketbook customer. Check out their 5in Pocketbook 360. Most of its owners seem quite happy about it. (Me too) It supports your listed formats. Plus it comes with a snap-on cover that works very well. It easily fits in coat of front pants pockets as its exactly the size of a CD jewel case.

If FB2 support isn't critical, you could try the Sony 350.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:47 AM   #4
Farhad
Zealot
Farhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheese

Dear jbcohen and fjtorres,

Yes, these are two models which I am seriously considering now. It seems that the PocketBook 360 has a better screen technology than the Aluratek Libra Pro and a user-changeable battery. Since my first experience with the PocketBook company and products is excellent, I am leaning towards the PocketBook 360, but I am still looking at other options and opinions.

Thanks a lot!
Old 02-25-2011, 09:48 AM   #5
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Sony or Pocketbook are your best bet.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2011, 10:04 AM   #6
maxbookworm
Addict
maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Galaxy Note 2
The PRS-350 has the latest Pearl e-ink screen. I think you'll find it fits your requirements quite well. I love mine!
maxbookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 10:09 AM   #7
Farhad
Zealot

How would the PRS-350 compare to the PocketBook 360 in terms of screen? (sorry, I don't know anything about e-ink)
Old 02-25-2011, 11:16 AM   #8
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If they boith have an e-ink screen, the Sony 350 will be nicer because it is the latest and greatest e-ink screen, the Pearl screen.
Old 02-25-2011, 11:23 AM   #9
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Do you have a smart phone such as a blackberry, iphone or android based phone. My reader of choice is a blackberry costs me $0 since the phone itself belongs to my employer. I can perform a stunt that most readers can't on their dedicated readers - I can read Kindle books and Barns and Noble books on the same device. You try that with a pocket book or a Kindle or a Nook.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 12:08 PM   #10
Farhad
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
Do you have a smart phone such as a blackberry, iphone or android based phone.
I have both a Nokia Internet Tablet running Maemo OS2008 and a Nokia Nuron 5230. But now I am looking for a dedicated ebook reader to use outdoors in the sun.

BTW - I decided for the PB360. First, I am very happy with PocketBooks' quality, second it has a better screen than the Aluratek Libra Pro and, last, its cheaper than the Sony.

Thanks a lot guys, you rock!
Old 02-25-2011, 12:39 PM   #11
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

Enjoy!
Old 02-28-2011, 05:26 PM   #12
maxbookworm
Addict
maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Galaxy Note 2
Good choice The PB360 is definitely a fun little reader and you can have endless entertainment customizing fonts, etc.
maxbookworm is offline   Reply With Quote