Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-31-2014, 12:49 PM   #19426
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccowie View Post
I don't often participate here because it seems many who contribute read a lot of the same material and I seem to read a lot that's quite different. However, I did just finish Just One Damned Thing After Another, which a lot seem to have read and enjoyed. I thought it was a lot of fun and blasted through it quickly. I'll pick up the sequels - they're available at Kobo and they're cheap!
Beware that the book with the "vol. 2" cover at Kobo is actually the third book in the series I tried to contact the author through Twitter but no news from her so far. (-> which makes me think to try again, right now).
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 12:53 PM   #19427
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
I don't often participate here because it seems many who contribute read a lot of the same material and I seem to read a lot that's quite different.

It's interesting to see what people are reading. You should post here, doesn't really matter if your taste in books is different
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2014, 01:03 PM   #19428
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
I don't often participate here because it seems many who contribute read a lot of the same material and I seem to read a lot that's quite different. However, I did just finish Just One Damned Thing After Another, which a lot seem to have read and enjoyed. I thought it was a lot of fun and blasted through it quickly. I'll pick up the sequels - they're available at Kobo and they're cheap!

I also just finished The Casual Vacancy. It was much better than I had expected, particularly after reading many poor reviews shortly after it was published. There wasn't a single character that I liked, but I did want to know what horrible thing each would do next. I'm a huge David Adams Richards fan; a Canadian author who writes rather dark novels that take place in the Mirimachi area of New Brunswick. Rowling's book reminded me of a Richards' book set in England.
I will have to look at David Adams Richards as I lived in new Brunswick many years ago. I kind of relish the thought of dark things happening in New Brunswick

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 01:08 PM   #19429
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Next up? No idea. I know I have Peacemaker coming on Tuesday, so I don't really want to start anything major. Maybe an Alice Munro story or two will do?
You were smarter than I about this. I'm reading Robert Graves' I Claudius, newly available in ebook format here in the US. I read it a long time ago and was looking forward to a rereading, but my mind keeps wondering if the Kyo are here (and afraid if they are it'll be a cliffhanger and we won't know until next year.)

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 01:21 PM   #19430
ccowie
Hiding with an ereader
ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony PRS 950, Ipad 2, PRS 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
I will have to look at David Adams Richards as I lived in new Brunswick many years ago. I kind of relish the thought of dark things happening in New Brunswick

Helen
Well, there's a lot of lying, alcohol and misery in his books, but they're just so good! I'd highly recommend Mercy Among the Children, River of the Brokenhearted or The Lost Highway.
ccowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2014, 01:27 PM   #19431
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
Beware that the book with the "vol. 2" cover at Kobo is actually the third book in the series I tried to contact the author through Twitter but no news from her so far. (-> which makes me think to try again, right now).
Can you confirm the correct title of #2 samhy? I bought #2 from Amazon - A Symphony of Echoes (haven't started it yet).
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 02:55 PM   #19432
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Guys, I just noticed that Just One Damned Thing After Another by Jodi Taylor is currently FREE at Amazon.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 03:03 PM   #19433
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
I did just finish Just One Damned Thing After Another, which a lot seem to have read and enjoyed. I thought it was a lot of fun and blasted through it quickly. I'll pick up the sequels - they're available at Kobo and they're cheap!
Just One Damned Thing After Another is currently free at Amazon US and Amazon UK, and possibly at other Amazon sites.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 03:08 PM   #19434
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool FREE at Amazon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella View Post
Guys, I just noticed that Just One Damned Thing After Another by Jodi Taylor is currently FREE at Amazon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Just One Damned Thing After Another is currently free at Amazon US and Amazon UK, and possibly at other Amazon sites.
Thanks!

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 04:12 PM   #19435
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
I just picked it up free at Amazon.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 04:16 PM   #19436
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Thanks!

Yes, good price. Not sure when I'll get to read it, but someday, maybe.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 04:17 PM   #19437
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strether View Post
You were smarter than I about this. I'm reading Robert Graves' I Claudius, newly available in ebook format here in the US. I read it a long time ago and was looking forward to a rereading, but my mind keeps wondering if the Kyo are here (and afraid if they are it'll be a cliffhanger and we won't know until next year.)

Jim
It's driving me nuts that B&N have it available already, but Amazon is keeping to the embargo on it. OTOH, I pre-ordered it at $3 less than the release price.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 06:21 PM   #19438
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
I ended up reading Honor Harrington #8, Echoes of Honor, and really enjoyed it. I may start #9, Ashes of Victory, since none of my library holds have come in yet. At least the first couple chapters to see what the fallout from the last book is.
I have found myself skipping and skimming large sections* of Ashes of Victory which is not a good sign. If it gets worse, I will put it on hold for a while and move on to something else. Either way I will be taking a break from Honor Harrington after this.

*The info dumps seem to be more numerous and longer in the last couple books than the previous ones. Hopefully, assuming I finish this one before I take a break, the anthologies will help me get back into the Honorverse when I decide to continue. I will be following pdurrant's suggested reading order I think.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 06:28 PM   #19439
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
I will be following pdurrant's suggested reading order I think.
The reading order I've got is a bit different, and omits the anthologies. The first nine entries are the same (right through Ashes), but after that:

10 - War of Honor
11 - Crown of Slaves
12 - Torch of Freedom
13 - The Shadow of Saganami
14 - At All Costs
15 - Storm from the Shadows
16 - Mission of Honor
17 - A Rising Thunder
18 - Shadow of Freedom
19 - Cauldron of Ghosts

Food for thought, if you want to use it.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 06:40 PM   #19440
49Kat
Fanatic
49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 9th Gen, iPhone 11, Paperwhite 10th Gen.
Quote:
Just a caution re this series, see this thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=236554

I ended up getting volume 2 from Amazon. I'm not sure if Kobo has fixed the problem or not. I got an e-mail from them saying it was being passed on to Tier 2.

Oops, I see this has been discussed on this thread already...

Last edited by 49Kat; 03-31-2014 at 06:42 PM.
49Kat is offline   Reply With Quote