Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-16-2010, 10:08 AM   #1
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
T-Mobile HTC HD2 with B&N ebook Reader

The T-Mobile HTC HD2 will come with a built in B&N ebook Reader. Since B&N does not have a generic WinMobile reader, this might be another variant of the Adobe-based reader for Sense (HTC Touch Phones to get Adobe Digital Editions). If so, either B&N is preparing to deliver ePub for all its titles or HTC has added eReader support to its Reader (in at least this version) in addition to passworded ePubs. I wonder if the T-Mobile version it will also support AdobeID ePubs.

The press release for the updated Sense did not include an ebook reader. Since it was definitely spotted in a pre-production ROM, this may be something that carriers get to customize for their network.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 01:13 PM   #2
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Aaaaagghhhh - LOL. I've been drooling over this phone since I heard of it a few weeks ago. Not getting one though - I don't think we can even get T-Mobile service here. I'll probably end up with the HTC Imagio in October when my contract is up.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2010, 07:26 PM   #3
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
If you're referring to the Sense UI tab, it's actually linked to Borders, not B&N.

B&N does, according to a little spot on their nook comparison page, have a Windows Mobile (and Android) reader application in the works. So they'll both be on WinMo soon.
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 08:02 PM   #4
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
So is that the reader you get in the Sense UI tab on the new ROMs on XDA-developers? I haven't tried one of these on my Touch Pro 2 yet. Can it read DRMed files?

Yes, have wanted one of those HD 2s since they were announced. But the Touch Pro 2 is running so well, just can't justify it!
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 08:09 PM   #5
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
But the Touch Pro 2 is running so well, just can't justify it!
Oh, the injustice!

Yeah, I like mine too. Snapdragon is tantalizing, and once full flash makes it way to windows mobile, I may wish I had one (I'm concerned the old 528mhz dinosaur we have may not be up to playing hulu), but the TP2 is a very nice handheld.
Advert
Old 02-16-2010, 08:16 PM   #6
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Marseilles View Post
Oh, the injustice!

Yeah, I like mine too. Snapdragon is tantalizing, and once full flash makes it way to windows mobile, I may wish I had one (I'm concerned the old 528mhz dinosaur we have may not be up to playing hulu), but the TP2 is a very nice handheld.
You can try Hulu now using Skyfire, I haven't yet because I would have to run a VPN for IP masking. But the new Slingplayer works great. Yes, when I bought it (because of the hardware keyboard) I was worried about the processor. But the latest ROMs have it flying, the speed is phenomenal. I am using Firestorm 5.7, which ROM are you using?
Old 02-16-2010, 08:29 PM   #7
Marseille
Guru

Quote:
You can try Hulu now using Skyfire, I haven't yet because I would have to run a VPN for IP masking. But the new Slingplayer works great. Yes, when I bought it (because of the hardware keyboard) I was worried about the processor. But the latest ROMs have it flying, the speed is phenomenal. I am using Firestorm 5.7, which ROM are you using?
Nope. Hulu began blocking skyfire well before I got my TP2, along with other things things like boxee etc. It doesn't even matter where you live, they're blocking all skyfire users equally.

I have played full episodes through several US broadcasters and publishers' sites, but since skyfire does all the flash server-side and they use their own formats to display video on the device, I don't think I have a good idea of what performance will be like when displaying/decoding flash locally.

I'm using the stock VZW 6.1 ROM. Yes, that's right. Not only am I using stock, I haven't even upgraded to 6.5. I have no speed issues in daily use, but then nothing I'm doing now would be comparable to flash decoding. Even though I do watch some videos, I mostly do it in WMP which has access to hardware acceleration that nothing else has because of licensing issues. I think I remember that things like tegra might do hardware acceleration for things like flash, but our old qualcomm chipset has no such option.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:38 PM   #8
HansTWN
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Marseilles View Post
Nope. Hulu began blocking skyfire well before I got my TP2, along with other things things like boxee etc. It doesn't even matter where you live, they're blocking all skyfire users equally.

I have played full episodes through several US broadcasters and publishers' sites, but since skyfire does all the flash server-side and they use their own formats to display video on the device, I don't think I have a good idea of what performance will be like when displaying/decoding flash locally.

I'm using the stock VZW 6.1 ROM. Yes, that's right. Not only am I using stock, I haven't even upgraded to 6.5. I have no speed issues in daily use, but then nothing I'm doing now would be comparable to flash decoding. Even though I do watch some videos, I mostly do it in WMP which has access to hardware acceleration that nothing else has because of licensing issues. I think I remember that things like tegra might do hardware acceleration for things like flash, but our old qualcomm chipset has no such option.
You are very traditional! I personally love the improvements in Manila 2.5 and WM 6.5.3. But I suspect that full flash would bring the Pro2 to its knees. Well, that will give me an excuse to finally upgrade. Perhaps they will have a 4.3" screen with a full querty keyboard by then. And a 1.5MHZ Snapdragon or Tegra 2 system.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:46 PM   #9
Marseille
Guru

Quote:
You are very traditional! I personally love the improvements in Manila 2.5 and WM 6.5.3. But I suspect that full flash would bring the Pro2 to its knees. Well, that will give me an excuse to finally upgrade. Perhaps they will have a 4.3" screen with a full querty keyboard by then. And a 1.5MHZ Snapdragon or Tegra 2 system.
You really aim high, don't you? Looking for an HD2 Pro Ultra, eh? I hope it comes around for ya.

I'll probably upgrade to 6.5 once OneNote Mobile 2010 is ready to roll. Until then, I don't really have a reason to. I use spb mobile shell instead of TF3D, which I mainly bought once I realized that 6.5's manila, though looking more like sense, didn't offer nearly as much customization as sense. Mobile Shell lets me collect most of my tasks on my home screen and tailor it to taste.