Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 01:15 PM   #31
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by loisanborn View Post
New related question: I successfully ran the Igor scripts on my home computer. Can I use the same kindlePID on my work computer without actually running kindlepid.py and getting a different PID than the one I already have at home?
I'm not sure what your asking. Your Kindle PID will never change... it is always the same. however, if you mean the PID for your PC in Mobipocket software, it will be different for each PC. But, you should be able to put your two PC's and your Kindles PID into the bookstore and the file would work on all three devices.

BOb
Old 07-16-2008, 01:31 PM   #32
loisanborn
loisanborn began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
When I had both my PCs' PIDs and my Kindle PID on my Overdrive (e-library) account, I couldn't get kindlefix to work. When I removed both PC PIDs from Overdrive and only kept my Kindle PID on it, I got it to work on my home computer. I haven't tried it yet on my work computer, but was hoping I wouldn't have to run kindlepid.py on my work computer and get a different Kindle PID to post on Overdrive.
Advert
Old 07-16-2008, 01:45 PM   #33
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by loisanborn View Post
When I had both my PCs' PIDs and my Kindle PID on my Overdrive (e-library) account, I couldn't get kindlefix to work. When I removed both PC PIDs from Overdrive and only kept my Kindle PID on it, I got it to work on my home computer. I haven't tried it yet on my work computer, but was hoping I wouldn't have to run kindlepid.py on my work computer and get a different Kindle PID to post on Overdrive.
Ah... no, given a certain Kindle s/n kindlepid.py will always result in the same PID no matter what PC you run it on.

Perhaps Kindlefix.py has only been tested with a file encrypted with a single PID. Perhaps Igorsky will chime in here and correct me though.

Do you have to run Kindle fix? I heard that if you buy from Fictionwise you didn't even need to run it.

BOb
Old 07-16-2008, 02:00 PM   #34
loisanborn
loisanborn began at the beginning.

Thanks, Bob. I just ran kindlepid.py and you're right about the Kindle PID staying the same. I just ran kindlefix.py on my work computer and it worked just fine like it does on my home computer. And thanks to Igor for such a great Kindle script!!

Lois
Old 07-16-2008, 02:31 PM   #35
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
Glad to see someone else using ebooks from the library. Since many of the libraries subscribe to the Overdrive service, maybe we'll see more and more books available online. Unfortunately, Netlibrary (my other libraries subscription) does not even offer mobipocket format.

cheers
Advert
Old 07-16-2008, 11:28 PM   #36
ribbon_cable
ribbon_cable began at the beginning.

Instructions for mac?

Can I get instructions for the Mac like the ones below for PC? I have installed Python but I have no idea how to get the script to work. Dont know how to edit my PATH...

Help!
Old 07-17-2008, 09:04 PM   #37
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.
Question

post content modified on Amazon's request

Last edited by nohmi2; 07-17-2008 at 09:07 PM. Reason: Forgot to give Computer.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:51 PM   #38
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
By navigate you need to use the cd command (change directory).

For example on my PC is goes something like this:

cd c:\documents and settings\XXXX\my documents\my ebooks

When I've entered this my command prompt changes to:

c:\documents and settings\XXXX\my documents\my ebooks>

What I do is keep a window open showing my ebooks that I want to massage. At the top of the window will be the path so I don't have to try and remember it or write it down on a sticky note that I invariably misplace when I need it. And since all the files are right there in the window I can easily type them into the kindlefix.py script.

HTH
Old 07-18-2008, 01:07 AM   #39
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
By navigate you need to use the cd command (change directory).

For example on my PC is goes something like this:

cd c:\documents and settings\XXXX\my documents\my ebooks

When I've entered this my command prompt changes to:

c:\documents and settings\XXXX\my documents\my ebooks>

What I do is keep a window open showing my ebooks that I want to massage. At the top of the window will be the path so I don't have to try and remember it or write it down on a sticky note that I invariably misplace when I need it. And since all the files are right there in the window I can easily type them into the kindlefix.py script.

HTH
Many thanks for such a quick response.
Command Prompt now tells me
Import Error: No module named .prc

I never even got that far before.
Old 07-18-2008, 01:28 AM   #40
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
you don't seem to have changed to the directory where your ebook is located. Like TallMom says, if you open the folder where your ebook is, and have it open as well as your command prompt window, this should help you put together the correct cd command. for example, because I keep my ebooks in a directory on my desktop called "ebooks to convert", my command is: cd desktop\ebooks to convert If you keep your ebooks in a directory call my ebooks, probably the command you need is: cd my documents\my ebooks

Then try your kindlefix command again - it looks to be in the right format

cheers

Just reread your posts. Is your folder called BOOKS on your desktop? If so then your first command line would be: cd desktop\BOOKS
Then run your kindlefix command

Last edited by Leep; 07-18-2008 at 01:32 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 07-18-2008, 06:12 PM   #41
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by nohmi2 View Post
Command Prompt now tells me
Import Error: No module named .prc
This might be a failure to pick up prc.py (or prc.pyc) which should be in the same directory as kindlefix.py.

What I do is copy these files to the directory where I want to run kindlefix (copy kindlefix.py and prc.py to the ebook directory, or copy the ebooks to a dedicated kindlefix directory). This gets round issues with the PATH.
Old 07-19-2008, 01:43 AM   #42
nohmi2
Pensively observing.

It seems that it isn't my fate to do this right.
Now Command Prompt tells me that "kindlepid.py is not recognised" etc.
I have over one-hundred legally bought books from MobiPocket and my iPaq PDA isn't the easiest to read from. Would have left it at that, but Amazon own MobiPocket, so feel a bit ticked-off about that. Grrrr!!!
Old 07-23-2008, 08:15 PM   #43
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
nohmi2 -

Have you had any luck? I've been out of town and didn't have the time to check this thread. Let me know where you are and what errors you're having and I'll try to help.
Old 07-24-2008, 06:12 AM   #44
nohmi2
Pensively observing.

Kindle

Hi, Hope you enjoyed your break.
I appear to be in situation of 'so near and yet so far'. In command prompt:-
cd desktop\BOOKS\kindlefix.py .prc gaspingforairtime KindlePID

It then happily tells me that,
The Kindleizerv0.1. Copyright <c> 2007 Igor Skochinsky
PID is not valid! (should be in format AAAAAAA*DD)
It's a vicious plot I tell you!
Old 07-24-2008, 10:12 AM   #45
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by nohmi2 View Post
In command prompt:-
cd desktop\BOOKS\kindlefix.py .prc gaspingforairtime KindlePID

It then happily tells me that,
The Kindleizerv0.1. Copyright <c> 2007 Igor Skochinsky
PID is not valid! (should be in format AAAAAAA*DD)
I think kindlefix is treating "gaspingforairtime" (the 2nd argument) as the PID. The command should be:
Code:
post content modified on Amazon's request
The quotes around the filename are not always necessary, but it is simplest to always use them.
Closed Thread