Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-30-2011, 12:06 PM   #1
Brianrh
Connoisseur
Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Newbie Kobo Owner

After pondering a while and reading reviews and comments from here, I asked and received a Kobo Touch for Christmas. I have not had too much time to use it yet the Kobo but initial impressions are good.

My son initially registered the reader using his Windows laptop and I am about to side load books on to it using Calibre running under Linux Mint 12. I am working through the manual but I can't seem to find how the Micro CD memory works. Can I load books on to the device with Calibre and the device decide if it goes in the internal memory or on the memory card? Or do I need to use the Kobo Desktop running under Wine to do this?

I did do a search on this forum but I couldn't find quite what I wanted to know; also with the updates in firmware things can change quickly.

Thanks.

Brian
Brianrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 12:26 PM   #2
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
You can place your books on device memory or external SD card. Kobo reader will find them and add new books to data base so they will show in library. When device is started from off it checks books and add new books to data base. Actually the data base for external SD card is on that card so when you change cards and start from off only books on card and reader are shown in library. Too turn device off or on from off takes longer press on switch than putting kobo in standby or starting from standby.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2011, 01:25 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Kobo Desktop only handle books in Kobo's version of ePubs; these are downloaded by it automatically from Kobo's website, and sync'ed to the Touch.

Kobo Desktop does NOT handle regular ePubs.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote