Closed Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 07:20 AM   #3781
El_Pirato
FanFic Hunter
El_Pirato began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryzed View Post
It's specifically for getting chapter updates. You'll need to enable story alerts for your chosen fanfiction sites and FFDL will scrape received emails for story URLs and then check them.
how do I do that? because I tried to do that and got nothing
Old 02-28-2015, 07:44 AM   #3782
cryzed
Evangelist
cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Most fanfiction sites will have something called story alerts or something of the sort. These story alerts are usually notices in the form of an email sent to the email address you registered on the site with, informing you about updates for stories you specifically followed or otherwise requested alerts for. On fanfiction.net for example, there is this button, on other fanfiction sites the mechanism probably works slightly different or is accessed in another way. It all ultimately ends up with the fanfiction site sending you an e-mail containing the story URL of the updated story, which FFDL then will scrape and try to update. What part of this process doesn't work for you, exactly?
Advert
Old 02-28-2015, 08:27 AM   #3783
El_Pirato
FanFic Hunter
El_Pirato began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Most fanfiction sites will have something called story alerts or something of the sort. These story alerts are usually notices in the form of an email sent to the email address you registered on the site with, informing you about updates for stories you specifically followed or otherwise requested alerts for. On fanfiction.net for example, there is this button, on other fanfiction sites the mechanism probably works slightly different or is accessed in another way. It all ultimately ends up with the fanfiction site sending you an e-mail containing the story URL of the updated story, which FFDL then will scrape and try to update. What part of this process doesn't work for you, exactly?
the scraping part. I thought it was because it didn't start with chapter 1.
Old 02-28-2015, 08:33 AM   #3784
cryzed
Evangelist
cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't understand. When you follow a story initially you won't necessarily get an email, you'll probably only get notified when there was an update. Your "workflow" should look something like this: Find a story you like, download it with FFDL and follow/request story alerts for it on the fanfiction site. From now on you can regularly check your email address for story alerts with FFDL and download updates as soon as they are released that way -- this spares you from having to check all your stories with FFDL manually.

Last edited by cryzed; 03-01-2015 at 10:26 AM.
Old 02-28-2015, 03:32 PM   #3785
aleyx
Addict
aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Cybook Diva
Quote:
From now on you can regularly check your email address for story alerts with FFDL
Note, however, that FFDL only checks _unread_ emails. If you open the mail before running FFDL's scrapper, it'll miss it.

That also means that you can just mark any email notice as 'unread' and FFDL will try to update that story.

Or perhaps even any story URL you mail to yourself. I just thought about it, but that could be a simple way to build yourself a "Stories I wanna check out later" list if you're not using your Calibre computer...

N.
Advert
Old 03-04-2015, 02:27 PM   #3786
Tanjamuse
Wizard
Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: none
I'm having trouble with the new email-feature.

I get the following error:

Quote:
calibre, version 2.19.0
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>error</b>:[ALERT] Please log in via your web browser: http://support.google.com/mail/accou...y?answer=78754 (Failure)

calibre 2.19 isfrozen: True is64bit: False
Windows-7-6.1.7601-SP1 Windows ('32bit', 'WindowsPE')
32bit process running on 64bit windows
('Windows', '7', '6.1.7601')
Python 2.7.9
Windows: ('7', '6.1.7601', 'SP1', 'Multiprocessor Free')
Successfully initialized third party plugins: Generate Cover && FanFictionDownLoader && EpubMerge && Manage Series && Wiki Reader && User Category && Read MP3 AudioBook metadata && Reading List && Modify ePub && Find Duplicates && Quality Check
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre_plugins.fanfictiondownloader_plugin.ffdl_ plugin", line 425, in get_urls_from_imap_menu
File "calibre_plugins.fanfictiondownloader_plugin.fanfi cdownloader.geturls", line 182, in get_urls_from_imap
File "imaplib.py", line 519, in login
error: [ALERT] Please log in via your web browser: http://support.google.com/mail/accou...y?answer=78754 (Failure)
Old 03-04-2015, 02:34 PM   #3787
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite(10th)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanjamuse View Post
I'm having trouble with the new email-feature.

I get the following error:
Did you follow the steps in the help page given in the error?

Did it work before and now it doesn't? Or are you trying to set it up for the first time?
Old 03-04-2015, 02:35 PM   #3788
Tanjamuse
Wizard
Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

I'm trying to set it up for the first time.

I've created a new email specifically for this.
Old 03-04-2015, 03:23 PM   #3789
cryzed
Evangelist

Did you do this, as I had mentioned when you asked about the email feature previously?
Old 03-04-2015, 03:28 PM   #3790
Tanjamuse
Wizard

I thought I did, but it must have been for another account, because it wasn't activated. It now is, and it looks to be working

Thanks for the quick replies.
Old 03-04-2015, 06:14 PM   #3791
cryzed
Evangelist

@Jimm I feel it is as good a time as any to thank you again for the continued support and development of FFDL. I don't want this to seem like a formality, because I really am grateful for your work: I've seen quite a few software projects abandoned due to the amount of work required over time and it's really great that you are still as active as always; if not more so considering the newest set of features. I hope FFDL and its development will keep being as active and successful as they are currently.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:30 PM   #3792
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks!

I appreciate your help fielding questions, too.
Old 03-05-2015, 07:45 AM   #3793
cryzed
Evangelist

Just trying to give back what I feel I owe .

Last edited by cryzed; 03-05-2015 at 09:13 AM.
Old 03-08-2015, 01:11 PM   #3794
tricklem
Connoisseur
tricklem began at the beginning.

I am trying to set up the new email feature, and I am getting this error.

Spoiler:
calibre 2.20 isfrozen: True is64bit: False
Python 2.7.9
Successfully initialized third party plugins: Find Duplicates && Generate Cover && EpubMerge && FanFictionDownLoader
File "calibre_plugins.fanfictiondownloader_plugin.ffdl_ plugin", line 425, in get_urls_from_imap_menu
File "calibre_plugins.fanfictiondownloader_plugin.fanfi cdownloader.geturls", line 181, in get_urls_from_imap
File "imaplib.py", line 1165, in __init__
File "imaplib.py", line 172, in __init__
File "imaplib.py", line 1176, in open
File "socket.py", line 571, in create_connection
error: [Errno 10060] A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond

I figured it out, so this post can be deleted.

Last edited by tricklem; 03-08-2015 at 01:26 PM. Reason: I figured it out, so my post can be deleted.
Old 03-08-2015, 01:25 PM   #3795
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricklem View Post
I am trying to set up the new email feature, and I am getting this error.

Spoiler:
Code:
calibre 2.20  isfrozen: True is64bit: False
Python 2.7.9
Successfully initialized third party plugins: Find Duplicates && Generate Cover && EpubMerge && FanFictionDownLoader
  File "calibre_plugins.fanfictiondownloader_plugin.ffdl_plugin", line 425, in get_urls_from_imap_menu
  File "calibre_plugins.fanfictiondownloader_plugin.fanficdownloader.geturls", line 181, in get_urls_from_imap
  File "imaplib.py", line 1165, in __init__
  File "imaplib.py", line 172, in __init__
  File "imaplib.py", line 1176, in open
  File "socket.py", line 571, in create_connection
error: [Errno 10060] A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond
Your error states: "A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond"

Are you sure you have the correct IMAP server name for your email account?

Are you sure that your email provider allows SSL IMAP4 access?
Closed Thread