Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 08-22-2012, 07:55 AM   #31
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Where be all the science buffs?

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...96#post2191196

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...18#post2191218

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...40#post2191240
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:12 AM   #32
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
^We're here, we're just severely outnumbered. Quick to the forumer replicator!

HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:01 AM   #33
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What's so odd, HIMS, is that non-fiction is the one month I have no problem coming up with all kinds of suggestions. I really have to work at it for most of the rest of the year.

And will someone please do something with this damn cat. Christian's sitting on my lap uninvited and trying to love on my fingers while I type. Norton was trying to take that spot, but he was still wet from where I just let him and Crystal out for a few minutes and got the brush-off.

EDIT: I give up. Now they're both on my lap. And Crystal's on the bed beside me.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 08-22-2012 at 10:04 AM.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:41 PM   #34
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I'm going to go a different track and nominate Sh*t My Dad Says by Justin Halpern.

Quote:
After being dumped by his longtime girlfriend, twenty-eight-year-old Justin Halpern found himself living at home with his seventy-three-year-old dad. Sam Halpern, who is "like Socrates, but angrier, and with worse hair," has never minced words, and when Justin moved back home, he began to record all the ridiculous things his dad said to him:
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 01:06 PM   #35
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I'd like to nominate The Swerve, by Stephen Greenblatt. Here's the blurb from Amazon:

Quote:
Winner of the 2012 Pulitzer Prize for Non-Fiction
Winner of the 2011 National Book Award for Non-Fiction

One of the world's most celebrated scholars, Stephen Greenblatt has crafted both an innovative work of history and a thrilling story of discovery, in which one manuscript, plucked from a thousand years of neglect, changed the course of human thought and made possible the world as we know it.

Nearly six hundred years ago, a short, genial, cannily alert man in his late thirties took a very old manuscript off a library shelf, saw with excitement what he had discovered, and ordered that it be copied. That book was the last surviving manuscript of an ancient Roman philosophical epic, On the Nature of Things, by Lucretius—a beautiful poem of the most dangerous ideas: that the universe functioned without the aid of gods, that religious fear was damaging to human life, and that matter was made up of very small particles in eternal motion, colliding and swerving in new directions.

The copying and translation of this ancient book-the greatest discovery of the greatest book-hunter of his age-fueled the Renaissance, inspiring artists such as Botticelli and thinkers such as Giordano Bruno; shaped the thought of Galileo and Freud, Darwin and Einstein; and had a revolutionary influence on writers such as Montaigne and Shakespeare and even Thomas Jefferson.
It's available at all the venues; under $10 for Kindle and couponable at Kobo.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 01:27 PM   #36
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I'd like to nominate The Swerve, by Stephen Greenblatt. ...It's available at all the venues; under $10 for Kindle and couponable at Kobo.
I can't find it at Kobo.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 08-22-2012 at 01:33 PM.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:57 PM   #37
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I can't find it at Kobo.
I bought it at Kobo (with a coupon ) about 6 months ago, so I didn't verify.

http://www.kobobooks.com/ebook/The-S...6DQ/page1.html
Old 08-22-2012, 01:59 PM   #38
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

I get this error when I follow that link:

Quote:
Oops!

This content has been deleted by its creator.

If you continue to receive this notification, please contact our Customer Care department for assistance:

Call 1-866-204-4714 (8am-12am EST)

Email: help@kobo.com (24 hours)
Old 08-22-2012, 02:00 PM   #39
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
I get this error when I follow that link:
Sorry--I get the book link, presumably because it's in my library and I can download it.

In any case, Amazon has it for under $10 and it's won a buncha prizes!
Old 08-22-2012, 02:03 PM   #40
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

I did list the Amazon, Barnes&Noble, and Sony Reader links. Inkmesh was no help at all.
Old 08-22-2012, 02:19 PM   #41
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
I did list the Amazon, Barnes&Noble, and Sony Reader links. Inkmesh was no help at all.
It was good of you to take the trouble.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:58 PM   #42
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

You're welcome.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:07 PM   #43
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I can't find it at Kobo.
That does it for me then. No Kobo, no coupon code, no buy.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:10 PM   #44
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Sh*t My Dad Says is available via Overdrive for FREE.

http://search.overdrive.com/SearchRe...howVideo=False
Old 08-22-2012, 07:11 PM   #45
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
That does it for me then. No Kobo, no coupon code, no buy.
But your beloved Sony Reader Store has it!