Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-04-2012, 02:21 PM   #331
markdek
Addict
markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trauma Doll View Post
Here's another good picture of the 'cloudy' problem, directly from Amazon's customer images of the PW.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41uG9sN2GzL.jpg

For me at least, those darker 'clouds' are not smudges or shadows, they are always in the exact same position and visible to other people without me cueing them on where to look.
That's a pretty small pic, but after blowing it up, man that looks bad. I would think this is not the normal PW....I hope not anyways.
markdek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:26 PM   #332
timelysarcasm
Warrior Princess
timelysarcasm shines like a glazed doughnut.timelysarcasm shines like a glazed doughnut.timelysarcasm shines like a glazed doughnut.timelysarcasm shines like a glazed doughnut.timelysarcasm shines like a glazed doughnut.timelysarcasm shines like a glazed doughnut.timelysarcasm shines like a glazed doughnut.timelysarcasm shines like a glazed doughnut.timelysarcasm shines like a glazed doughnut.timelysarcasm shines like a glazed doughnut.timelysarcasm shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 4
Decided to return mine. Just wasn't liking the reading experience, and since all I do with my e-readers is read (no web surfing, pics, or anything else), it made no sense to keep trying to convince myself it was better.

I was pretty happy with my K4NT + lighted leather cover, so I'm going to go for that combo once more. Good luck to everyone else getting replacements and such.

I'll check back in on the next iteration of Paperwhites, for now, it was too bluish, splotchy, and gray for my liking.
timelysarcasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2012, 02:26 PM   #333
Trauma Doll
Addict
Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Gave up on PW. Using Kindle Keyboard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdek View Post
That's a pretty small pic, but after blowing it up, man that looks bad. I would think this is not the normal PW....I hope not anyways.
Yeah. Mine's not quite that bad, but once you know it's there you can't unsee it. I'm really hoping enough data comes in for me to make a good decision about whether to return before the return grace period (30 days?) is up.
Trauma Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:31 PM   #334
Greg G
Groupie
Greg G is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle Papwerwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
SB Sarah has posted a PW review, I know this thread is really for MR user reviews, but I thought the pics in the review did a good job of showing the blotchiness problem some folks are having. So my question for those having problems is are these pics a good example? It looks like the northern lights are shining on the screen in some of those pics (although she doesn't seem to mind/notice it), if my screen looked like that it would drive me nuts.

http://smartbitchestrashybooks.com/b...hite-my-review
This is exactly what my wife's Kindle looked like out of the box but it got better when I turned down the light brightness. Hers is brighter than mine for some reason at the same setting so mine looked much better out of the box.
Greg G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:32 PM   #335
miquele
Connoisseur
miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Kindle 3, Kindle PW, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by David58117 View Post
Hm, just read for an hour in complete darkness.
All together I find the bottom more of an inconvenient place for the lights to be. When they were at the top - you read the first one or two lines and your eyes move on. At the bottom, you're constantly working your way TO the screen issues, which is annoying as you get closer and closer to them.
Maybe you can change orientation upside down?

Reading the entire thread I am going to stick to my K3, even though I badly wanted to order one after the keynote. Things I don't like:

- no page buttons, when in 98% of the cases I'm going through pages and not settings
- touch layer affecting the contrast negatively
- light bleed / uneven lit areas at the bottom
- font weighting issues
- smaller bezel which in connection with touch is not so great for holding the device over longer periods of time
- all in all no better contrast once the lighting is switched off

What I really dislike is that the LED seems to remain switched on, no matter what.

I think I am going to wait for a lit, open source device which can be rooted and can access OPDS catalogues directly.

If there were some sync services comparable to Whispernet I'd be all happy

Last edited by miquele; 10-04-2012 at 02:37 PM. Reason: typo
miquele is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2012, 02:38 PM   #336
Zimmy
Connoisseur
Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I got mine yesterday and it's been a dream come true.
I currently own:
K3 3G, Kindle DX, and a Kindle Touch.

The PaperWhite is the best yet.

Paired with the case, it is my best reading experience yet.

Open the case and a quick swipe, the book opens and light comes on.

The screen has the responsiveness that I always hoped the Touch had.

The web seems to be faster to me. I don't have to wait forever to load something in article mode.
Zimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:26 PM   #337
Greg G
Groupie

Looking at the Amazon page I have to say that the pictures are very misleading. They look perfect with no noticeable lights at the bottom at all. That's what set the expectations and I just don't see how the devices pictured can be actual unmodified photos.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:31 PM   #338
ecksor
Enthusiast
ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg G View Post
Looking at the Amazon page I have to say that the pictures are very misleading. They look perfect with no noticeable lights at the bottom at all. That's what set the expectations and I just don't see how the devices pictured can be actual unmodified photos.
Oh it can, if you flood it with professional light for product shooting.
ecksor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:57 PM   #339
Greg G
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecksor View Post
Oh it can, if you flood it with professional light for product shooting.
What about the night picture (though I guess the angle and size make it hard to tell if it has shadows or not)?

Old 10-04-2012, 04:15 PM   #340
ecksor
Enthusiast
ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle PW
Quote:
What about the night picture (though I guess the angle and size make it hard to tell if it has shadows or not)?

Well, of course, the images are post-processed. My point was that product shooting creates nearly perfect lighting conditions to showcase the product that requires very little alteration. They have legal guidelines that they must follow.
ecksor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:25 PM   #341
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trauma Doll View Post
Here's another good picture of the 'cloudy' problem, directly from Amazon's customer images of the PW.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41uG9sN2GzL.jpg

For me at least, those darker 'clouds' are not smudges or shadows, they are always in the exact same position and visible to other people without me cueing them on where to look.
Ugh, I hope the camera exacerbates the problem because that is ugly. Like a old paperback with pages that are yellowing, except in this case it's blueing.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:41 PM   #342
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecksor View Post
Well, of course, the images are post-processed. My point was that product shooting creates nearly perfect lighting conditions to showcase the product that requires very little alteration. They have legal guidelines that they must follow.
If photo retouching in ads were illegal, the fashion/cosmetic industry would be out of business. What about the food.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/hgrant/fast-...the-real-thing

I don't know if tech products are governed by stricter rules, but I've never seen a TV ad where the picture isn't perfect. Who knows if it's even a screenshot of the TV, or they just superimpose a picture over the set.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:47 PM   #343
markdek
Addict
markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
I agree...and I don't think they required to use actual photos.
markdek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:57 PM   #344
Greg G
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by markdek View Post
I agree...and I don't think they required to use actual photos.
Probably not - but it sure sets expectations that are not being met. I am very happy with my PW but I do understand why others may not be.

-Greg
Old 10-04-2012, 05:33 PM   #345
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
Quote:
Maybe Amazon should have stated "simulated imagery" as in this ad

Last edited by JoHunt; 10-04-2012 at 05:36 PM.
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote