Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-06-2010, 03:25 PM   #31
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No, I didn't say that. What I said - and the statement that you quoted - was:
OK, but since you did not quote what you were commenting I of course assumed it was DRM copyright protection you talked about since the thread is about DRM.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 03:26 PM   #32
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
Quote:
Without copyright protection for content producers, there is no commercial incentive to create content. Amateur writing is all well and good, and bravo to those who do write for the love of it, but if you want professional authors to carry on writing, there has to be an effective mechanism in place to allow those authors the opportunity to make a fair return from their work.
Why would one want the 'professional' authors to carry on writing for money? That influences their way of writing, they choose to write books that will sell better, and not ones they would want to write. If they want to write something, let it be something they'd like the world to read - otherwise publishing industry is just the old patronage model again, with author appeasing the public this time.
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 03:28 PM   #33
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by omk3 View Post

It's painfully obvious that most legislators have no idea what they are talking about, at least in technological matters. But they never let that stop them. And the less you know, the more you fear of course.
One of the few UK MPs that turned up to debate our similar new law thought that an IP address meant Intelectual Property address. Probably thought that was where you download all this "illegal" content from that is costing the country 60 billion dollars a week.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 03:29 PM   #34
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Hey, name me a drm that wasn't broken ? They only make sure the paid product have less value, because it is locked.
I couldn't unlock a book I got from Barnes & Noble a couple of weeks ago, I don't know if that is because they updated it or I'm just a bit crap. It was a free book too. Why bother protecting a free book?
Old 06-06-2010, 03:51 PM   #35
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
most of us, for example, accept without complaint the DRM which is present on DVDs,
Don't know about you, but all those unskippable warnings and advertisements at the beginning of legally purchased DVD annoy me very, very much.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 04:01 PM   #36
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
Don't know about you, but all those unskippable warnings and advertisements at the beginning of legally purchased DVD annoy me very, very much.
Yeah, that too
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 04:03 PM   #37
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass

Quote:
It seems like simple common sense to me, Tommy.

Copyright law grants the creator of a work the exclusive right to control it and profit from it. .
Only for the first sale. They have no control over what happens to it after that, or who can profit from it. DRM is an attempt to control what happens to goods after the first sale.

Quote:
I don't need to conduct "empirical studies" to tell me that if that exclusive right to profit from a work did not exist, neither would the motive to create it.
I don't think financial gain will be the major motivation behind any new writer, that would only come later when they realised that they might be able to make a living doing it. People write because they have something to say. Always have, always will. The cream will still rise to the top, just the same as it always has. Along with the scum.
Old 06-06-2010, 04:06 PM   #38
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystian Galaj View Post
Why would one want the 'professional' authors to carry on writing for money? That influences their way of writing, they choose to write books that will sell better, and not ones they would want to write. If they want to write something, let it be something they'd like the world to read - otherwise publishing industry is just the old patronage model again, with author appeasing the public this time.
Many of the greatest writers in history have "written for money": those dreadful hack writers Shakespeare and Dickens, to name but two. You make it sound as if there's something wrong with writers producing work that readers will want to read!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 04:09 PM   #39
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
If your reader has internet access they wouldn't really need to enter your house.
I avoid readers with internet access like the plague. But whenever I mention it I receive sarcastic remarks about tinfoil hats. Never mind, to check out the contents of my reader you need to stop and search me. Or hack into my computer of course

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
I couldn't unlock a book I got from Barnes & Noble a couple of weeks ago, I don't know if that is because they updated it or I'm just a bit crap. It was a free book too. Why bother protecting a free book?
Barnes & Noble DRM is different than regular epub DRM, but it has been cracked too, as far as I know. And they 'protect' free books because you still have to go to THEM to get them. You have to register and be on their database to get them. They're not for just anyone!
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 04:10 PM   #40
Kirtai
Addict
Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-650, iPad, Samsung Galaxy SII (JB), Google Nexus 7 (2013)
Quote:
It seems like simple common sense to me, Tommy.
Common sense can't be trusted, the only way to know for sure is to test it.

Much of modern science directly contradicts common sense after all
Kirtai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 04:27 PM   #41
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
The history of such stuff, as long as I've been observing it, has been for the status quo to vigorously oppose all new technology that they don't control, for them to be overrun by it, and eventually, they learn to turn it to their financial advantage.

You get some interesting failures along the way, such as the original DIVX DVD system (buy the DVD, you get to watch it for 48 hours before incurring extra fees) and self-destructing DVDs that became unplayable a short time after opening the sealed package.

Eventually the market decides what it wants, and smart companies make money by providing that.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 04:30 PM   #42
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Strnad View Post
You get some interesting failures along the way, such as the original DIVX DVD system (buy the DVD, you get to watch it for 48 hours before incurring extra fees) and self-destructing DVDs that became unplayable a short time after opening the sealed package.
Are those real-life examples? If so, I'm so glad I totally missed them!
Old 06-06-2010, 04:33 PM   #43
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I've not come across "self-destructing" DVDs, but they sound like a great idea for rentals, because they wouldn't have to be returned. You could put them in vending machines, for example. How did they work? A slow oxidation process once the packet was opened?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 05:11 PM   #44
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
I've not come across "self-destructing" DVDs, but they sound like a great idea for rentals, because they wouldn't have to be returned. You could put them in vending machines, for example. How did they work? A slow oxidation process once the packet was opened?
I recall that William Gibson released a short story on a self-destructing floppy disc at one point. I'm not sure how it worked. I'm guessing in that case it was a virus. I'm not sure how a self-destructing DVD would work, be interesting if anyone had the answer to that one.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 05:22 PM   #45
omk3
Wizard

Inspector Gadget was always given his orders on self-destructing pieces of paper.
Everything has been foretold!