Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 05-23-2010, 01:38 PM   #1
BaenSidhe
Groupie
BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500 and PRS-650
How to Transfer Books

How do I transfer my .prc books to the ipad so I can read them with the kindle app?

When I first tried drag and drop with my epub books, iTunes kept crashing. Had to search online for how to transfer them. -_- However, nothing comes up on how I can transfer kindle books and when I try to use the File->Add File to Library->file method I used for the epub books, nothing happened.

Also, how do I get the b&n app to see the epub books I've just uploaded?

Gah, so many minor annoyances.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by BaenSidhe; 05-23-2010 at 01:42 PM.
BaenSidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 01:45 PM   #2
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
You can't transfer your own books to the Kindle app. From the Kindle FAQ:

Quote:
Periodicals such as newspapers, magazines, and blogs, and personal documents can only be delivered to and read on Kindle devices and cannot be viewed on Kindle for iPad/iPhone or other Kindle applications
You can convert your .PRC files to .epub, using a program such as Calibre, and then read them in iBooks, Stanza, or IBISReader on your iPad.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2010, 02:00 PM   #3
BaenSidhe
Groupie
BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So the kindle app only works with books you've bought from Amazon? What about other sites?

Does this restriction apply to the b&n app too?
Old 05-23-2010, 02:08 PM   #4
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaenSidhe View Post
So the kindle app only works with books you've bought from Amazon? What about other sites?

Does this restriction apply to the b&n app too?
The iPhone/iPad Kindle apps (for now, at least) only seem to work with content you've bought from Amazon. The Kindle itself can read your personal documents as well as books bought from Amazon, and from other book sites.

The B&N iPhone app also has no way (that I've found) to open any books other than those purchased from B&N.
Old 05-23-2010, 02:24 PM   #5
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
The iPhone/iPad Kindle apps (for now, at least) only seem to work with content you've bought from Amazon. The Kindle itself can read your personal documents as well as books bought from Amazon, and from other book sites.

The B&N iPhone app also has no way (that I've found) to open any books other than those purchased from B&N.
If you have time and inclination to answer, would you please tell me what's the easiest way to get Word docs and non-Kindle books (which I have in Kindle format) onto iPad? I'm a tech 'tard, so easy is key.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2010, 03:10 PM   #6
kjk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
If you have time and inclination to answer, would you please tell me what's the easiest way to get Word docs and non-Kindle books (which I have in Kindle format) onto iPad? I'm a tech 'tard, so easy is key.
1) I use Calibre to convert everything (.RTF files from Word, .MOBI from Kindle etc..) into ePub.
http://calibre-ebook.com/ I just drag the file into Calibre, and select Convert (ePub).

2) Then I just drag the ePub files to iTunes, and they will show up under "Books".

3) Then I sync the iPad-choose which books to sync, and they should show up in the Bookshelf!

*I also am using Sigil to edit the ePubs if there are any issues with the conversion.
Old 05-23-2010, 03:22 PM   #7
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
1) I use Calibre to convert everything (.RTF files from Word, .MOBI from Kindle etc..) into ePub.
http://calibre-ebook.com/ I just drag the file into Calibre, and select Convert (ePub).

2) Then I just drag the ePub files to iTunes, and they will show up under "Books".

3) Then I sync the iPad-choose which books to sync, and they should show up in the Bookshelf!

*I also am using Sigil to edit the ePubs if there are any issues with the conversion.
Thanks very much!
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 03:56 PM   #8
BaenSidhe
Groupie

Quote:
Did you drag to the books directory in your library or your ipad? Because when I tried to drag and drop, itunes would crash right away. I think I was dragging to ipad and not to the library, though, since I didn't want my books in yet another location.

When you add a file to the library, does it add it to a folder location like Calibre does? I just did a quick look through my itunes folder and didn't see it, but I didn't look that hard.
Old 05-23-2010, 04:21 PM   #9
Trubu
Zealot
Trubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 2, Nook, iPhone 3GS, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaenSidhe View Post

Did you drag to the books directory in your library or your ipad? Because when I tried to drag and drop, itunes would crash right away. I think I was dragging to ipad and not to the library, though, since I didn't want my books in yet another location.
You need to drag it into the library first, and then transfer it to the iPad from within iTunes. If you just want to drag-n-drop to the iPad from within iTunes, you may have to check "Manually manage music and videos" under Options when the iPad is hooked up; I'm not sure how it handles books (I just use the Books tab to choose what to sync).

If you don't want iTunes storing a copy of books in its media folder when you add them to the library, you can go into Preferences->Advanced and uncheck "Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to the library." From then on, iTunes will just keep a pointer to the location of files you add to the library.

However, be aware that this applies to everything (movies, music, audiobooks), and if the original file is moved/deleted, iTunes won't be able to find it unless you go in and point it to the new location.

Quote:
When you add a file to the library, does it add it to a folder location like Calibre does? I just did a quick look through my itunes folder and didn't see it, but I didn't look that hard.
If you're using the standard iTunes organization (and haven't followed the instructions above to prevent files from being copied into the iTunes folder), books will be stored in a "Books" folder in your iTunes Media folder, organized in folders by author name.

Last edited by Trubu; 05-23-2010 at 04:26 PM.
Trubu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 05:36 AM   #10
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
All my Amazon-bought books come up on my iPod as in archive, and I then need to download them, while I'm connected to wifi.
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 10:40 AM   #11
esperanc
esperanc began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
If you have jailbroken your ipad, you can transfer .mobi files directly to the Documents folder inside the Kindle application folder and Kindle will pick them up.
esperanc is offline   Reply With Quote