Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 03-19-2010, 04:45 PM   #1
JaneFancher
Zealot
JaneFancher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JaneFancher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JaneFancher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JaneFancher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JaneFancher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle2
How to edit ToC

I'm having issues with the mobi-created ToC. I don't like how it looks. (to put it mildly) I also can't figure out how to edit the appearance.

I can make a perfectly gorgeous ToC in WordPerfect, which translates (functionally) very nicely within Mobi...but it doesn't show up as an option on the dropdown "contents" menu.

My question is threefold:
1) Is there a way to make Mobi "connect" to a link within the main html file? (i.e. the internal ToC) (perhaps under the guide "script" and if so, is there a guide to writing such script somewhere?) or (alternatively)

2) is there a way to edit the mobi-created ToC into something other than Uuuuuuugly? and

3) do either or both of these options translate to other formats once I go through the Calibre conversions?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give a poor confused writer....
JaneFancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 05:41 PM   #2
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
Have you tried MobiPocket Creator? Harry T put together a nice tutorial.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17914

This is what I used when I was in the book making business and it appeared to work well.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2010, 02:51 PM   #3
Peake
Peake began at the beginning.

Device: none
I always use the guide option in Creator to point to my own TOCs in the source HTML. I enclose my table on contents in a div element, i.e:

<div id="toc">
my table of contents here
</div>

In Mobipocket Creator I use the guide to point to my table of contents. Name: Table of Contents, Type: toc, Filename: htmlfilename.html#toc

This may be explained much better in HarryT's guide though, I need to check that out

Regards,
Peake
Peake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 01:01 PM   #4
JaneFancher
Zealot
JaneFancher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JaneFancher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JaneFancher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JaneFancher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JaneFancher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Thanks, both of you! Hopefully these will solve my problem. (Going to check out the tutorial this afternoon.)

Peake, do you know...when you do the pointer, does that create a prc file that translates the ToC pointer to other formats? We're trying to sell a combined file with all the formats Calibre translates to, but don't really have anything other than Calibre's reader to check them with.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:37 PM   #5
Peake

I haven't tried a conversion from mobi to another format in Calibre, so I don't know if the Table of Contents would carry over from the mobi format to another.

If I were to use Calibre to convert to multiple output formats, I would likely feed Calibre my source xhtml files, and just use Calibre to create the TOC from my markup.

Regards,
Peake
Advert
Old 03-23-2010, 03:45 AM   #6
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
I have TOC in all my Mobi books (and it's my main format). From this I convert to ePub and lit with Calibre, and it keeps the TOC (if it doesn't it, usually the option "--use-auto-toc" is OK). The only problem with ePub is that the book shows the contents as another "chapter" into the book. You can remove it manually, but if you want to make a batch convert, you must take this into account.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 10:41 AM   #7
JaneFancher
Zealot

Peake...gave your method a quick try this AM and worked like a charm in Mobi. Tried a direct conversion prc to epub and it worked quite well, tho I'm less than thrilled with the sidebar links in the epub reader that comes with Calibre. That c/b solved with just making the ToC itself a link within the ToC.

Main thing is...I think I've got a working solution!

Terisa...Thanks and I love your avatar!
Old 03-24-2010, 11:07 AM   #8
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Glad to have helped and... well, who is the most beautiful woman in the kingdom?
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 08:40 PM   #9
Peake

Glad that worked for you

Regards,
Peake

Tags
calibre, conversions, mobi, toc, wordperfect