Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > HanLin eBook

Notices

Old 10-25-2009, 11:35 PM   #1
troykm
Connoisseur
troykm will become famous soon enoughtroykm will become famous soon enoughtroykm will become famous soon enoughtroykm will become famous soon enoughtroykm will become famous soon enoughtroykm will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 2
Eco reader Review

Well after numerous emails to cbell, i feel its my duty to provide a review of my ECO reader :-)

I will start by saying that the first device i bought had a defective screen, but i exchanged it and the new one is flawless.

I wanted a dedicated e-reader as i was reading on my iphone+stanza. a good mix for about 20 min's, then i would either end up with a headache or slightly blind for an hour or two LOL. So i looked in to the e-reader solution, and i knew nothing about them, so researched almost every brand and device.

I was going to get the kindle 2, based on mostly, looks. I am glad i picked the ECO reader.

The ECO reader is not locked in to any store!!! BIG PLUS! i can buy books from anywhere really (geographical restrictions dependant) or download books from free site's, and indeed on this forum. I was surprised how many free books there are out there. (not that i have any issue paying)

It was great that, no matter what format the book i downloaded was in, i just dragged it to my sd card and opened it on the ECO, easy.

The device its self is great. Its not much to look at when you first see it, but that is a good thing, as when you in to a book, you don't want to see the device! (make sense?) it disappears nicely into the background. I know it has been said b4 but, the screen really looks like a piece of paper with real text on it. If it were not for the button pressing to turn the page, you would forget it was not a "real" book.

Page turns are about 1 second, and i like this as it gives me a chance to blink and focus :P Folders are a great feature, as one giant list of 300 books would just be annoying! I have mine sorted by author.

Although its not officially supported, you can use mobipocket reader software on your pc to get newspaper, magazine and blogs onto your ECO via RSS feeds. Just set up your feeds, update them, then right click - send to removable disk and its done, takes 10 seconds!

The only thing i really wish for would be (and i think its more to do with the book format than the reader its self) is more font options. I would love there to be an inbuilt override to the font the book has so i can change it to whatever i wanted, and even a bold text option, as sometimes my eyes can focus better on bold print. This is just a wish, not a deal breaker.

Over all my experience these last 2 weeks have been most enjoyable, support from DA and notably cbell has been great. (although me thinks she has seen my email address enough :-) )

Get an ECO reader, you wont be disappointed

cheers

troykm

Last edited by troykm; 10-25-2009 at 11:37 PM.
troykm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 01:53 AM   #2
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by troykm View Post
Over all my experience these last 2 weeks have been most enjoyable, support from DA and notably cbell has been great. (although me thinks she has seen my email address enough :-) )

Get an ECO reader, you wont be disappointed

cheers

troykm
I agree completely, especially about the superb service and support.

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2009, 03:12 AM   #3
cbell
Frenetic
cbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipse

Device: iLiad V2
Thank you for the review, troykm, and I love your avatar! I chose that page for the photos and box cover (My Fellow Australians) and I formatted the displayed ebook, too!

I practiced how to make ebooks here at MR and I received lots of good advice.

It was a pleasure exchanging emails with you and you were very nice about your first ECO Reader. That was bad luck! Glad the lovely people at Melb Uni bookshop were able to help.

Reviews are very helpful for people who want an ebook reader, but can't decide which one. Well done!

And thank you, Alex and Troy, for the nice comments
cbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 03:29 AM   #4
troykm
Connoisseur
troykm will become famous soon enoughtroykm will become famous soon enoughtroykm will become famous soon enoughtroykm will become famous soon enoughtroykm will become famous soon enoughtroykm will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbell View Post

Reviews are very helpful for people who want an ebook reader, but can't decide which one. Well done!
a good product deserves a good review
Old 10-26-2009, 07:43 PM   #5
paul1403
Exertion Avoider
paul1403 can extract oil from cheesepaul1403 can extract oil from cheesepaul1403 can extract oil from cheesepaul1403 can extract oil from cheesepaul1403 can extract oil from cheesepaul1403 can extract oil from cheesepaul1403 can extract oil from cheesepaul1403 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Eco-Reader, Motorola Xoom, Samsung Galaxy S2
Thanks for the review Troy. I'm still to finally decide which reader to buy, but you have made that decision a lot easier.

Paul.
Canberra, Australia
paul1403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2009, 04:41 PM   #6
paul1403
Exertion Avoider
paul1403 can extract oil from cheesepaul1403 can extract oil from cheesepaul1403 can extract oil from cheesepaul1403 can extract oil from cheesepaul1403 can extract oil from cheesepaul1403 can extract oil from cheesepaul1403 can extract oil from cheesepaul1403 can extract oil from cheese

A decision which I have made at last.

I ordered an Eco-Reader yesterday. It should be here very soon, I hope.

Paul,
Canberra, Australia
Old 11-10-2009, 05:23 PM   #7
cbell
Frenetic
cbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipse

Hi Paul, good choice!

Your ECO Reader left Melbourne yesterday afternoon (by registered mail). Please allow a couple of days transit to A.C.T... and thank you for your order!
Old 11-10-2009, 06:25 PM   #8
paul1403
Exertion Avoider

Thank you Christine,

I am looking forward to it's arrival

Paul,
Canberra, Australia
Old 12-19-2009, 03:47 PM   #9
troykm
Connoisseur

well i have had my reader for 3 months now, so here is a follow up.

i have never read so much in my life! im churning out a book a week (thats a lot for me :P )

the reader its self has not faulted. i am yet to find a ebook format that it can not read. having said that it does not seem to like .lit very much and i understand, as its a microsoft format who would expect it to work properly lol.

it handles the ADE books from readwithoutpaper.com well and the device shows up in digital editions.

all in all, (even after my few rants on this forum - my bad :P ) im very happy, am recommending it to friends and will soon be buying a second one for my sisters 21st.

i would like to see a payment plan from DA Direct, $449 is a lot of money in one hit and a plan that spreads the cost over 3 months, off a credit card may attract a lot more buyers. just a thought.

well thats all for now. if you were thinking about an ECO reader, just get one. i doubt you will not like it.
Old 12-20-2009, 03:17 AM   #10
cbell
Frenetic

Quote:
Originally Posted by troykm View Post
... i would like to see a payment plan from DA Direct, $449 is a lot of money in one hit and a plan that spreads the cost over 3 months, off a credit card may attract a lot more buyers. just a thought.

well thats all for now. if you were thinking about an ECO reader, just get one. i doubt you will not like it.
Wow, Troy, that 3 months flew by quickly! I'm not surprised you're an ebook and ECO Reader enthusiast now.

We (at DA Direct) have considered offering payment plans for ebook reader purchases (and also offering extended warranties) - but I believe they would be very difficult to administer. We're not saying "No", just saying "Not yet".

I had to read "i doubt you will not like it." a couple of times to understand your meaning. On this point, I agree with you!

I enjoy reading your posts
Old 12-20-2009, 03:37 AM   #11
troykm
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbell View Post

I had to read "i doubt you will not like it." a couple of times to understand your meaning. On this point, I agree with you!

I enjoy reading your posts
LOL me english good

what i think that says is, i have no doubt you will like it.

;-)