Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-25-2009, 10:57 AM   #31
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labib Rahman View Post
I wonder if AT&T is going to subsidize this.
The Press Release says that there won't be any 3G download cost, but it very much sounds like the only place you can go over 3G is Sony's ebookstore, so that will keep the wireless costs down for them.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 10:57 AM   #32
evenstr
Enthusiast
evenstr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evenstr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evenstr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evenstr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evenstr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evenstr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evenstr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evenstr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evenstr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evenstr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evenstr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Anyone have any idea if the NYPL will be available for any Sony Reader, or just the Daily Edition?
evenstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2009, 10:59 AM   #33
lisreed
Addict
lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.

Device: Nook GlowLight 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Isn't EVDO considered a 3G technology? EDGE was the 2G one, right?

BOb
The kindle 2 I just sold certainly says 3G when I turn the wireless on.
lisreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 10:59 AM   #34
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
It's....longer....
Quote:
Aspect ratio reminds me a lot about wide screen displays. Interesting.
I really don't think that's a straight-on picture -- I think the right edge is farther away than the left one, making it look taller and narrower. The pic here doesn't suggest that it's tall and narrow, anyway.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 11:00 AM   #35
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by evenstr View Post
Anyone have any idea if the NYPL will be available for any Sony Reader, or just the Daily Edition?
Good question... if it is built into the Sony eLibrary Software as are the Google PD ebooks then buying a Sony reader lets you read ALOT of ebooks for FREE!!!

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2009, 11:00 AM   #36
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Tomorrow in the UK, Sony will announce the British Version of this - the Sony "You're Havin A Larf". In the UK version you get a free "bus pass" with each model to take you to your local library where you can, if you have a card, rent a pbook (OH Britain, why are you soooo behind the rest of the world!!!)
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 11:01 AM   #37
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I want the library feature for my 505
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 11:02 AM   #38
Be Szpilman
Fetch that LRF
Be Szpilman began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, Treo 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Ah, looks like it's got a different aspect ratio:
Hmm, I can't see how it makes it much better for newspapers. Single column ?
For PDF's this ratio is awful. Really awful.

Quote:
At 399 this thing isn't exactly cheap, and although the library features are amazing all, the things not going to sell unless it gives us 505 level contrast. Period.\

I wonder if AT&T is going to subsidize this. If it does, pushing the cost lower, with cheap monthly fees, and a screen at least equal to the PRS-505, I'd say Sony's done a pretty good job.
I highly doubt they're doing that good a job. Still, let's see, the tale's not over yet.
Be Szpilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 11:02 AM   #39
Riocaz
Fulfilled but not by iRex
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Far too many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
(OH Britain, why are you soooo behind the rest of the world!!!)
Err right...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzpilman View Post
I highly doubt they're doing that good a job. Still, let's see, the tale's not over yet.
Or has even started yet...
Riocaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 11:02 AM   #40
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think Engadget got the price wrong:
Quote:
it'll launch in December for $300, and the 3G access will be free.
BOb
Old 08-25-2009, 11:02 AM   #41
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
Engadget has some more pics up. The AR definitely does lean towards the tall 'n skinny side--it's not just the angle of the shots. I'd like to see some specs on this. Resolution? Pixel density?
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 11:04 AM   #42
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
Ooooh. Now that looks readable. (I'm gonna ignore all you "but I don't want any margins whatsoever" people.)
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 11:05 AM   #43
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abecedary View Post
Engadget has some more pics up. The AR definitely does lean towards the tall 'n skinny side--it's not just the angle of the shots. I'd like to see some specs on this. Resolution? Pixel density?
Even more and a longer article:

http://www.engadget.com/2009/08/25/s...der/#continued

BOb
Old 08-25-2009, 11:05 AM   #44
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
I think this is my next ebook reader purchase. I like!
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 11:06 AM   #45
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abecedary View Post
Ooooh. Now that looks readable. (I'm gonna ignore all you "but I don't want any margins whatsoever" people.)
oh yeah, that looks pretty great. even i'm tempted, and i don't want a bigger liseuse.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote