Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 05-20-2016, 01:18 PM   #31
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
I don't see why not, if the ability to add/delete/modify books is added.
Server-based read/write capabilities has been on Kovid's TODO list for a long time -- it opens up lots of possibilities.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 10:29 PM   #32
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Yes, when the ability to write is added to the server, it means the server acn then do pretty much anything the normal GUI can do.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2016, 10:18 AM   #33
JazzyJeff
Enthusiast
JazzyJeff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JazzyJeff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JazzyJeff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JazzyJeff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JazzyJeff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JazzyJeff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JazzyJeff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JazzyJeff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JazzyJeff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JazzyJeff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JazzyJeff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcdecker View Post
How close are you to developing a version of Calibre that can be run on a Chromebook? Windows 10 is a disaster and many of us with Windows 7 and 8 computers are slowly seeing our computers destroyed or bricked by numerous faulty updates that Microsoft keep downloading to our machines each month. With Windows crashing and Macs so expensive, a version for Chromebook would be great!
Just install Linux.
JazzyJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 01:32 PM   #34
josh.p.23
josh.p.23 began at the beginning.

Device: android kindle app, FB Reader, several tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Yes, when the ability to write is added to the server, it means the server acn then do pretty much anything the normal GUI can do.
that will be pretty snappy stuff right there.
josh.p.23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 06:57 AM   #35
FacebookVirus
Hybrid reader
FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2; Sony PRS-350
Chromebooks outsell Macbooks

Quote:
One Google+ reader commented that Chrome OS, the Linux-based operating system that runs on Chromebooks is "a web browser, not a desktop. Good thing, but not the same at all.”

Torvalds' response to that commenter hits the nail on the head:

It's not a desktop exactly the same way that PC's were not "real computers" when they started showing up?

The arguments were the same back then. "Cheap toy, you can't get real work done".

The whole "it's not the same thing" is simply not an argument. Of course it's not the same thing. Computing changes all the time.”
http://www.cio.com/article/3073897/l...-macbooks.html
FacebookVirus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2016, 09:59 AM   #36
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FacebookVirus View Post
True enough. In all fairness, I really do think ChromeOS is an excellent, Desktop OS.

That being said, it still isn't a power-user's desktop (for reasons I alluded to previously). And calibre still won't run on it.
On the other hand, calibre should soon have the capability to run as a hosted web application, which is exactly what ChromeOS is best at... so it's all good.
Old 05-25-2016, 11:33 AM   #37
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
A good, web-based reader sound very attractive to me. Any possibility to have it in Calibre 2?
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 12:31 PM   #38
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

That makes no sense. The development of the web-based reader is what will define calibre v3.

It is currently in alpha development. You can view the current state of things by running calibre from source and using the command `calibre-debug --new-server`.
Old 01-28-2017, 08:15 PM   #39
Knalselder
Knalselder began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
1 link to solve your troubles
https://www.rollapp.com/apps/ebooks
Knalselder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 05:29 PM   #40
dnastase
Addict
dnastase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dnastase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dnastase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dnastase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dnastase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: NG,NSTG,NST,AuraHD,OnyxT68,Lynx, BoyueT62,NGP,Aura1,Oasis,Mars
I highly recommend installing crouton on a chromebook. If you are a Linux user, that is. It basically transforms the chromebook/ChromeOS into a Linux. You pretty much can do everything you can do on a Linux.
And then you just install Calibre...
dnastase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 04:11 AM   #41
avetik
avetik began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3
Chrome OS now supports Linux apps via containers (a.k.a. "Crostini"). User can install Debian programs, and I tried installing calibre. Since CrOS v 72 (which is currently in dev channel) with some flags enabled I can make a USB drive shareable. I thought I'd try to connect to my existing calibre library, which is located on that USB drive, but for some reason am getting an "I/O Disk Error" message and a popup suggesting library is corrupt (but it is not corrupt when I am trying to connect to it from another Linux installation).
I know this may sound like something not really that important, but I'm just curious if there will be any plans to make it work on CrOS as well. Or what might be the best way to submit this as a feature request. By the way, thanks to Kovid for making this great software through all these years.
avetik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 04:53 AM   #42
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Have you tried picking up an existing container off dockerhub that has Calibre installed in it? As long as ChromeOs allows host paths to be mapped to container paths I would think this should work?
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 11:19 AM   #43
avetik
avetik began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
Have you tried picking up an existing container off dockerhub that has Calibre installed in it? As long as ChromeOs allows host paths to be mapped to container paths I would think this should work?
Could you provide some hints on how to get that done?
avetik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 02:51 PM   #44
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by avetik View Post
Could you provide some hints on how to get that done?
not really as I have no experience of ChromeOS and its docker support. I just know that I have successfully used docker containers for running Calibre in other environments.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 10:50 PM   #45
Holdwink
Holdwink began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle paperwhite 4
Calibre on Chromebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcdecker View Post
How close are you to developing a version of Calibre that can be run on a Chromebook? Windows 10 is a disaster and many of us with Windows 7 and 8 computers are slowly seeing our computers destroyed or bricked by numerous faulty updates that Microsoft keep downloading to our machines each month. With Windows crashing and Macs so expensive, a version for Chromebook would be great!
http://www.lincolnfoxandthebaddog.co...omebook-for-in
Holdwink is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chrome os, chromebook