Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-02-2012, 08:15 PM   #211
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewmartigan View Post
haven't read the entire thread...are you happy with yours? I think your pics look similar to the way mine looks.
For the most part I'm happy so far.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:24 PM   #212
wynand32
Enthusiast
wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Tried 3 more. None of my books are Syncing this is not a PW problem.
Well, that's both more and less comforting. More, in that Amazon has even more impetus to fix it, less in that it would seem to be a larger problem.

And to think I switched to Kindle from Nook specifically because of syncing problems...
wynand32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2012, 08:42 PM   #213
ddoyle777
ddoyle777 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, Kindle Fire, Kindle Touch
I received mine about 3:30 this afternoon and have been reading, playing and loading books. To state the conclusion first, I think it is a good improvement and I'll not be returning it. Firmware is 5.2.0.

First, on the light. After reading some reviews on the web I expected the light would bathe my eyes in a healing heavenly light that would return my eyes to the health of an 18 year old and bring world peace. Nope. It's 4 lights way under the bottom bezel and there is some unevenness in the bottom 1/2 inch. I have to look for it to see it. So it's noticeable, but not aggravating to me. YMMV. I think it is going to be a very subjective thing. I didfind that once I got reading in my current book, it became less noticeable. Maybe we need to give it a week or so before we make a decision based on this one factor.

Second, brightness and dimness: my wife is a night nurse so our bedroom is almost completely dark at noon - a good test for night reading. To my delight the light will go dim enough to read in the dark. I'm very fussy about this and want a very, very dim screen. I have to use ScreenDim on my Fire because it's way to bright at its lowest setting. A sigh of relief for me here.
At the opposite end, I went to sit on the deck in a mild overcast. I turned the light all the way up and it was barely noticeable. The PW looks like a normal eink device. It's sharp and clear, and very readable, but to me the light has no effect outdoors. Personally, I'm happy with this because I'd much rather have the light set properly for night where it's critical, than for noon where it's a gimmick.
Indoors, in the afternoon, or tonight after dark, the light is very effective.
I also like the way you can set the light by either swiping up and down, or by hitting a plus or minus key. The steps in brightness are at a good interval.

Third, all the reviews said that the PW was faster than the old Touch. You couldn't prove it by me as I don't notice any different. I haven't done any side by side tests, nor do i intend to. If its not noticeable in regular use then it doesn't exist! The speed is fine - it's fast enough that it doesn't slow my very fast reading speed.

I also don't really see a great difference in clarity. It feels the same to my eyes. I'm very satisfied with the screen, and I enjoy reading on it.

One thing I do find jarring and wish I could turn off is that on the first home screen, Amazon has decided to show only three of my books on the top and under a thin line to show 4 "Editor's Choice" books. Then, underneath these four covers, is the normal special offer. As soon as you swipe over the top row of your books the screen shows only your books, and the special offer on the bottom. This is irritating, as I have constantly stopped what I was doing to think, hey wait a minute, I didn't buy Tom Wolfe's Back to Blood! Oh, wait, it's an advert.
I'll pay the fee to dump special offers in a heartbeat if it pulls this stupid trick off.

EDIT: I noticed that keeping the home screen in list view removes the Editor's Choice advert.

But, once I'm safely in a book, I'm happy and content. I'm looking forward to night time use as well.
Happy reading!

Last edited by ddoyle777; 10-02-2012 at 09:21 PM. Reason: New info
ddoyle777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:42 PM   #214
jswinden
Nameless Being

Here is a sample of the bleeped up text I was talking about. This is Helvetica witH brightness set at 17/24.

Text sample (600 x 300 px)

Text sample (1200 x 600 px): Larger image

Compare "perhaps" in the 3rd line with "some four" in the 7th line. Considerable difference in font weights although all of the text is supposed to be the same weight. Thiese differences in weight are more pronounced in the lighter, thinner fonts.

Last edited by jswinden; 10-02-2012 at 08:58 PM.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:47 PM   #215
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Page refresh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Here is a sample of the bleeped up text I was talking about. This is Helvetica witH brightness set at 17/24.

Text sample (600 x 300 px)

Text sample (1200 x 600 px)

Larger image

Compare "perhaps" in the 3rd line with "some four" in the 7th line. Considerable difference in font weights although all of the text is supposed to be the same weight. Thiese differences in weight are more pronounced in the lighter, thinner fonts.
Do you have "page refresh" turned on? I've read some posts either here or in the Amazon Forum which state that is a necessity to eliminate differences in font shading.

I'm making notes about these recommendations in MS OneNote to get ready for my own PW on 10/11.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2012, 08:50 PM   #216
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Yeah, the varrying font weight thing would bug me. Like a pbook where the ink is faded in spots.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:53 PM   #217
techiegirl
Groupie
techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Mini, iPhone 6+
I received my 2 PW's (wifi & 3G) and I see the uneven-ness in the bottom. It does look blotchy. I'm charging them right now and will test them tonight.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.JPG
Views:	371
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	93274   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.JPG
Views:	349
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	93275  
techiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:56 PM   #218
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Yeah, the varrying font weight thing would bug me. Like a pbook where the ink is faded in spots.
Yep, it makes my eyes divert to the heavier weights. I really like Caecilia Condensed but the variations are even much worse for it. The lighter areas nearly fade off the screen with thin fonts.

@sirmaru, yes Page Refresh is turned On.

Last edited by jswinden; 10-02-2012 at 09:00 PM.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:58 PM   #219
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by techiegirl View Post
I received my 2 PW's (wifi & 3G) and I see the uneven-ness in the bottom. It does look blotchy. I'm charging them right now and will test them tonight.
I think they all have that to one degree or another. I could live with that if it was the only flaw in mine. After all there isn't much text down there.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:58 PM   #220
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I just thought it was the book I was reading. So I reconverted and still no go. Today I went back to another book and have the same problem.
Blossom,

I downloaded two books from cloud that I'm reading on my other Kindle Touch, and they synced without problems. They opened exactly where I left ...

jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:00 PM   #221
techiegirl
Groupie
techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Mini, iPhone 6+
Quote:
I think they all have that to one degree or another. I could live with that if it was the only flaw in mine. After all there isn't much text down there.
I agree. I don't see that as a serious issue. It's still more convenient than a clip on light, which is more uneven as far as lighting is concerned.
techiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:02 PM   #222
digimuzik
Bus Geek
digimuzik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digimuzik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digimuzik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Oh, and I thought there were 5 LEDs but this clearly indicates there are only 3 LEDs.

There. Are. Four. Lights!

Sorry... couldn't help myself.
digimuzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:06 PM   #223
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Thanks everyone for posting reviews and photos. It's greatly appreciated.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:10 PM   #224
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
Blossom,

I downloaded two books from cloud that I'm reading on my other Kindle Touch, and they synced without problems. They opened exactly where I left ...

It seems to be pdoc issue and possibly device specific. Here's the weird thing pdocs I sent just now work. pdocs that have been on my Kindles don't seem to be syncing. It's sporadic. I started a thread to discuss this so people can go over there instead of flooding the PW thread with sync issues.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:17 PM   #225
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
I just finishing registering by PW and reading the first couople of pages. I have my light set at 14 for the type of light in my room. I have a Sony T1 with a light and I must say the PW beats this hands down. It is a better reading experience with light. I don't have to be constantly adjusting the light to get it right. Don't get me wrong; I love my T1 and will still use it in situations where I do not need the light. My eyes were drawn to the LEDs at the bottom and you can see the wedge there. If I hadn't read this forum, I don't know if I would have noticed it at all.

All in all, I am very pleased with the PW and it will be a mainstay in my future readings.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote