Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-04-2012, 10:11 PM   #61
Dandifer
Dandifer began at the beginning.

Device: KT
Superb start to a long-awaited application!
(Is there a 'tip jar' anywhere?)

I think I understand the basic functionality between CollectionsManager and Calibre (via PlugIn), in that the updating process is only 1-way... I can manage the collections from Calibre and then update the Kindle -- that works great.

I don't see, however, a method for updating Calibre with any changes made on the Kindle (through native CollMgr or your utility). Importing Collections into Calibre doesn't see any Collections that were created/assigned on the Kindle.

Perhaps your menu could include an option to prepare/update the file that will be used by the Calibre plug-in as the source for imports?

I think that would result in a functional bi-directional support!

Thanks for this tremendous utility!
Dandifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:48 AM   #62
deeppans
deeppans began at the beginning.

Device: K5
ixtab,

Dandifer suggested bi-directional sync between calibre & k5 will be of great help.

I wasted an hour or so to find that given functionality is one directional.

BTW thanks for your great efforts.
deeppans is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2012, 08:47 AM   #63
ninki
Connoisseur
ninki began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin 6.1, Kindle 3, Kindle Touch, KPW3, KOA3
Hi,
I am using something for collection in the kindle touch [Kindle Touch] Calibre Kindle Collections Plug-in Hooks
I want to know if this will works with the last patch that has the collection or do i have to uninstall?
thanks
ninki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 02:46 PM   #64
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Version 1.2.0

This version includes support for two-way Calibre synchronization, and fixes a few display bugs of the previous version.

If you are using a localized version, make sure to update the localization file as well.

Last edited by ixtab; 08-06-2012 at 04:34 PM.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 03:13 PM   #65
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abradoks View Post
Great application, ixtab!
First off, thanks for the appreciation, and for the detailed feedback. I'll cover most of the details below (please don't get too disappointed though! )

Quote:
Is it possible to add "Update collections" feature, that will purge empty collections and create new collections only for books that aren't in any yet?
No, because it wouldn't be possible to know which collection new books should go into.

Quote:
- hierarchical view
The current view is hierarchical. If you were thinking about something like a "tree mode", then no. A tree mode doesn't make sense at all with the current user interface. Think about it.

Quote:
- make toolbar vertical: saves space and allows more buttons
No. It would ruin the "up/down" buttons understandability. Plus, there is no need for more buttons (but there would be the space for one, or even two, more)

Quote:
- "select all" button
No. But that's just because I'm lazy, because it would require two buttons instead of one (for upper/lower pane), and because the whole idea of the program isn't to move massive amounts of items around (and clicking 5 items instead of one is still acceptable).

Quote:
- ability to delete books too (non recursively, so deleting collection won't delete books in it)
No. No way. This is a collections manager, not a content manager. I don't need posts like "Help! I accidentally clicked on the wrong button, now you help me to recover the book that I paid for" here.

Quote:
- menu option to delete selected items recursively
See above. A tree structure makes no sense, so this doesn't either.

Quote:
Also, what do you think about profiles support? E.g. everything in "documents/$profilename$.profile/" is treated the same way if it was in "documents/", but is displayed only if specific menu item is checked. Is it possible to maintain separate book progress and recent history?
Please don't get carried away. The thing you're requesting would touch many, many more aspects than just collections. You're requesting a new framework here. So: no.

Quote:
Bug report:
- Click "Display only collections" (next page button gets disabled, as expected) -> "Hide invisible" -> "Display all" -> next page button stays disabled.
And finally: yes Thanks for the bug report, this should be fixed with the current version.

Last edited by ixtab; 08-06-2012 at 04:37 PM.
Advert
Old 08-06-2012, 03:19 PM   #66
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninki View Post
Hi,
I am using something for collection in the kindle touch [Kindle Touch] Calibre Kindle Collections Plug-in Hooks
I want to know if this will works with the last patch that has the collection or do i have to uninstall?
thanks
From what I understand, both should peacefully coexist and work along each other. But it's up to you to ultimately find out, and to see which method (or even which combination) works best for you.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:58 PM   #67
Dandifer
Dandifer began at the beginning.

Device: KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
This version includes support for two-way Calibre synchronization, and fixes a few display bugs of the previous version.
Bravo! Two-way Calibre synch works great!

Still looking about for a Tip Jar??? Does one exist?

Last edited by Dandifer; 08-06-2012 at 04:19 PM.
Dandifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 04:32 PM   #68
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandifer View Post
Bravo! Works great!

Still looking about for a Tip Jar??? Does one exist?
Hehe, thanks. I guess the only relevant one for now is that little "Karma" button to the left of my posts. Thanks for filling that one up, in conjunction with a nice comment!
Old 08-06-2012, 09:19 PM   #69
Abradoks
Abradoks can read faster than his screen refreshesAbradoks can read faster than his screen refreshesAbradoks can read faster than his screen refreshesAbradoks can read faster than his screen refreshesAbradoks can read faster than his screen refreshesAbradoks can read faster than his screen refreshesAbradoks can read faster than his screen refreshesAbradoks can read faster than his screen refreshesAbradoks can read faster than his screen refreshesAbradoks can read faster than his screen refreshesAbradoks can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
(please don't get too disappointed though! )
Ah, that's not a problem at all. Probably I'll check the sources myself, but here is some more elaboration anyway. I don't mean to convince you to implement that stuff, just to make ideas for possible features clearer.

Quote:
No, because it wouldn't be possible to know which collection new books should go into.
The collection should be the one named after book's folder. I believe it's quite easy from code point.

Quote:
The current view is hierarchical. If you were thinking about something like a "tree mode", then no. A tree mode doesn't make sense at all with the current user interface. Think about it.
"/" displays everything on kindle, including music files. I was also meaning including folders into the list. I.e. I'm thinking about your Collections Manager as a tool for sync between directory structure and collections. So / should display something like documents/, music/, audible/. Inside of documents/: "root" collections, folders from /mnt/us/documents/ that differ from those root collections and files from documents/.
Current "/" is unusable without filters, if you have many files and nested collections.
And yes, tree view would be awful.

Quote:
No. It would ruin the "up/down" buttons understandability. Plus, there is no need for more buttons (but there would be the space for one, or even two, more)
You need that screenshot to understand them anyway. Also it will allow a little more space for list.

Quote:
No. But that's just because I'm lazy, because it would require two buttons instead of one (for upper/lower pane), and because the whole idea of the program isn't to move massive amounts of items around (and clicking 5 items instead of one is still acceptable).
Then how should you move those amounts around?
It only needs 1 button (for top pane). Toggle button is already single, right?

Quote:
No. No way. This is a collections manager, not a content manager.
But it would be so nice to have 2in1.

Quote:
I don't need posts like "Help! I accidentally clicked on the wrong button, now you help me to recover the book that I paid for" here.
Don't let dumb people limit usability.^^

Quote:
A tree structure makes no sense
Why? Isn't flat structure of native manager exactly what people were complaining about?
The simplest use case is to have your books organized somewhat like %topic%/%author%/book. Then you can hit "Create from directories" once and "Update from directories" any time you add new folder.

Quote:
Please don't get carried away. The thing you're requesting would touch many, many more aspects than just collections. You're requesting a new framework here.
Oh, new non-java framework would be sooo nice indeed.
But I was asking if you know any elegant way to implement all that stuff (like toggling inactive amazon features ).
Abradoks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:20 PM   #70
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
I finally had time to start playing with the Calibre import/export! It's pretty cool

A quick question about the import: Does it reset the visibility/parent(s) of *existing* collections?

Basically, I plan to do a relatively simple setup:
all the genres nested into a Genres collections, all the authors nested in an Authors collection, etc. Right now it's faked on my K3 by using a crapload of toplevel collections, with a specific prefix/suffix for genres, another for authors, etc.

I was looking at how to handle this simple nesting automatically, and promptly realized that it was impossible without implementing a clunky prefix/suffix detection in the Kindlet [ie. all the stuff that matches '^(>)(.*?)(<)$' (prefix > / suffix <) is hidden in Home, and goes into the collection 'Authors', etc.].

Another idea would be to tweak the JSON format used, but I'm not sure there's enough info to match the correct parent collection at the import stage. From what I gather, it's just a query against the name? So, yeah, maybe doable, but I'm not sure how exactly to coax the json data into an acceptable/parseable format while preserving the nesting... And we'd need to tweak the Calibre plugin to handle this 'new' format, too.

That leaves me with this question. If it doesn't touch visiblity/nesting on import, I can probably live with it, it means that I'll only have to tweak nesting/visibility manually each time a *new* collection is added, not for everything at every import, which would be bad .

Apart from that, a few small bugs:

* When the cdeKey begins with *, it means that there's no ASIN (or fake UUID as ASIN) in the headers of the book, and the key was derived from the sha1sum of the absolute path of the file. That changes the format used in the legacy json file. It's just 'cdeKey', instead of '#cdeKey^cdeType'. (Right now it's exporting stuff as '#*sha1sum^EBOK' instead of just '*sha1sum').

* The lastAccess field is faked in the exports, but that's not a huge deal .

* In the same 'no ASIN' vein, in the case of Kindlets, the cdeKey is NULL for custom stuff. They don't get exported. I don't think there's anything we can do on that front (well, except making Kindlet authors put a fake UUID in the Amazon-ASIN field of their Kindlet Manifest), just mentioning it . (They used the same *sha1sum trick as for books on previous firmwares, so custom Kindlets could be managed via Calibre).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 08-07-2012 at 11:30 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:01 PM   #71
ChrisKaos
Enthusiast
ChrisKaos began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
A thousand books is rather excessive for modern kindles that keep their collections database on the 30MB /var/local that has other stuff stored there too. One method some people have used to avoid that problem is to move it to the much larger /mnt/us and put a symlink in its place.
I haven't noticed any issues with having so many books on my kindle whatsoever that I didn't notice when I had 100 books on it.
ChrisKaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 12:12 PM   #72
yoda0
yoda0 began at the beginning.

Update Polish translate to V1.2.0

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...2&postcount=53
yoda0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:21 PM   #73
ixtab
(offline)

Version 1.2.1

This is mostly a bugfix release, and takes into consideration most of NiLuJe's comments on Calibre import and export.

Upgrading is recommended; I'll post a more detailed answer in a few minutes.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:29 PM   #74
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
I finally had time to start playing with the Calibre import/export! It's pretty cool

A quick question about the import: Does it reset the visibility/parent(s) of *existing* collections?
Nope. This is now made explicit in the description. Note that versions <= 1.2.0 would actually remove child collections from a collection whose "other" content was modified; this is fixed with v1.2.1.

Quote:
* When the cdeKey begins with *, it means that there's no ASIN (or fake UUID as ASIN) in the headers of the book, and the key was derived from the sha1sum of the absolute path of the file. That changes the format used in the legacy json file. It's just 'cdeKey', instead of '#cdeKey^cdeType'. (Right now it's exporting stuff as '#*sha1sum^EBOK' instead of just '*sha1sum').

* The lastAccess field is faked in the exports, but that's not a huge deal .
Both of these should be fixed in 1.2.1. Since I don't have books which match the first case, please report back on whether it works as it should now. (but it should )

Quote:
* In the same 'no ASIN' vein, in the case of Kindlets, the cdeKey is NULL for custom stuff. They don't get exported. I don't think there's anything we can do on that front (well, except making Kindlet authors put a fake UUID in the Amazon-ASIN field of their Kindlet Manifest), just mentioning it . (They used the same *sha1sum trick as for books on previous firmwares, so custom Kindlets could be managed via Calibre).
That's right. Anything which doesn't have a cdeKey (or doesn't pass a few other sanity checks) is vigorously ignored

Thanks for the reports and the testing!

Last edited by ixtab; 08-09-2012 at 05:31 PM.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:58 PM   #75
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@ixtab: Fantastic, thanks .

The export of !ASIN stuff looks okay, the lastAccess field too, and I just ran an initial 160 collections import from Calibre. I didn't have much stuff to break, but it looks like it went perfectly fine, everything went in the right place, and the few things that went in an existing nested collection behaved as expected .

I'll give you a shout if everything implodes at my next import .

EDIT: Stupid question: What's the numbers supposed to mean in the status bar during the import? I got that the first one is the number of items in the collection being imported, but the second was was always 0 ;?

Last edited by NiLuJe; 08-09-2012 at 05:56 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
collections, collections manager, kindle touch hacks