Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-05-2011, 02:48 PM   #691
EatingPie
Blueberry!
EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (RIP); PRS-600 (Good Riddance); PRS-505; PRS-650; PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
Besides Nook branded readers, what else supports B&N DRM? As far as I know, Kobo also isn't using a new enough version to support nook books.
Kobo Touch definitely does. Kobo Wifi, probably not.

Heck my Entourage Pocket Edge supports it. And just about all the mobile apps on iOS and Android do. ADE Preview 1.8 does.

A pretty good indicator is that if you see hyphenation, it supports B&N DRM. But there was at least one RMSDK before that that did also.
Here is a another great example of the problems with lock-in.

Hellmark is hardly a newb, and yet he doesn't (and neither do I!) know exactly who supports which DRM for B&N. Let's face it, it's just too complicated. New users want something that works, period! Having to all this DRM research is -- again -- detrimental to end-users. Oops, I made one tiny mistake on which version of Adobe DRM my Reader supports, and now I'm SOL unless there's an update!

Lock-in is rotten to the core. It makes everything harder for people who just want to buy an e-book and read it. With paper books, I can walk in to any store that has my book in stock and buy it. When a friend wants to buy an e-Reader, you have to tell them that's no longer possible! And then you have to give them a Reader/Store compatibility matrix! Ugh!!

-Pie
EatingPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 02:52 PM   #692
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by EatingPie View Post
You miss the point completely. (1)

You have obviously never looked at the ePUB generated by Calibre. I don't mean the book but the actual uncompressed ePUB files.(2)

-Pie
1. lock in is bad - completely agree, solution is to boycott those retailers who are the worst offenders, + learn how to liberate your own books. Anyway B&N DRM is just as easy to bypass as other flavors!

2. yes i have, I buy lots of retail mobi from amazon, strip DRM & convert with calibre for my sony reader. & fine tune with Sigil. so I know exactly what an epub conversion by calibre looks like - it is very fit for purpose, and easy to fine-tune.

that's why calibre is by far the most used conversion program.
AND its output files pass all the built in checks that sigil offers

so don't pre-judge - go learn how to use calibre preferences!

calibre does an excellent job IMHO, and in the opinon of 1000s of its other users; if you can do better then bring YOUR program to market!

specifically - you want to buy from B&N + read on sony - no conversion is needed, just remove the DRM - conversion is only needed if you buy .mobi from amazon to read on an epub device such as Sony/Kobo/Nook, & calibre handles that very well IMHO

one reason I bought sony is that it wants to sell great hardware, not crap-at-a-loss to lock me into their bookstore ( & that's why I got rid of my Kobo device , & why I won't be buying a K4)

Last edited by cybmole; 10-05-2011 at 03:05 PM.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2011, 07:24 PM   #693
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by EatingPie View Post
Here is a another great example of the problems with lock-in.

Hellmark is hardly a newb, and yet he doesn't (and neither do I!) know exactly who supports which DRM for B&N. Let's face it, it's just too complicated. New users want something that works, period! Having to all this DRM research is -- again -- detrimental to end-users. Oops, I made one tiny mistake on which version of Adobe DRM my Reader supports, and now I'm SOL unless there's an update!
Yeah, things change so much, that it is hard to keep track. Wasn't that long enough, that the RMSDK with nook support was out, but no one was using it. Basically, it is all you can do to just keep up with your own device.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 08:15 PM   #694
EatingPie
Blueberry!
EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (RIP); PRS-600 (Good Riddance); PRS-505; PRS-650; PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
1. lock in is bad - completely agree, solution is to boycott those retailers who are the worst offenders, + learn how to liberate your own books. Anyway B&N DRM is just as easy to bypass as other flavors!

2. yes i have, I buy lots of retail mobi from amazon, strip DRM & convert with calibre for my sony reader. & fine tune with Sigil. so I know exactly what an epub conversion by calibre looks like - it is very fit for purpose, and easy to fine-tune.

that's why calibre is by far the most used conversion program.
AND its output files pass all the built in checks that sigil offers

so don't pre-judge - go learn how to use calibre preferences!
Seems we now agree on lock-in.

But it's like you didn't read my post. At. All. Every little snipe goes against something I actually say in my post. For example, I'm "pre-judging" yet I somehow edit Calibre converted books all the time. Now how do I pre-judge if I'm using it for conversion?

Quote:
calibre does an excellent job IMHO, and in the opinon of 1000s of its other users; if you can do better then bring YOUR program to market!
LOL. Yes, your opinion or the highway. If a program does something we don't like, nobody can bring up the deficiencies, ever, until they write their own program! All those complaints about Word, Windows, Mac OS X, Android iOS, etc.... nope! Invalid! Write your own!

On Calibre's formatting, we disagree. Period. No point in arguing further.

Quote:
specifically - you want to buy from B&N + read on sony - no conversion is needed, just remove the DRM - conversion is only needed if you buy .mobi from amazon to read on an epub device such as Sony/Kobo/Nook, & calibre handles that very well IMHO
This all started because you took me to taksfor creating ePUBs that have headers. Why? Because it was not a feature you needed. (Your way or the highway!!!! ) Sheesh.

Your statement above does not apply to me. For me, all ePUBs need conversion since I want headers and margins. Calibre can't do that, and neither can Sigil (headers anyway). I don't begrudge that of those programs (as I said earlier). They serve a purpose that doesn't fit my scope. No, I still don't like Calibre's output, and still think it's awful for editing (and does not pass epubcheck), but as I said before, I understand why it's the way it is (except for a few noted exceptions).

So I say one more time: Headers rock in books! Lock-in sucks for consumers! More headers, less lock-in!

-Pie
EatingPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 08:34 PM   #695
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Why exactly does BN not want other devices to be able to read their books? Don't they need all the book sales they can get?
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2011, 09:33 PM   #696
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Why exactly does BN not want other devices to be able to read their books? Don't they need all the book sales they can get?
The reality is that virtually any device that's come out in the last year or so can read B&N ebooks without stripping DRM. Except for Sony's.

B&N does not have and exclusive on this DRM, they partnered with Adobe on it with the knowledge that any licensee of RMSDK would be able to make devices capable of reading their ebooks (though they enjoyed a relatively brief period where that amounted to 'lock in'). They did not want to require their customers to install a desktop app just to side-load B&N content on their devices, as other Adobe-powered devices required at the time (which made them less convenient than a Kindle, which has never required any additional software).

The B&N flavor of DRM is more convenient than 'classic' DRM because it does not require 'authorization' with an Adobe ID, or use of ADE. More ebook vendors should be using it. I don't particularly like B&N, but in terms of choosing where to buy DRMed ePub books, they are my first choice when price is the same (as it often is, thanks to Agency pricing). (For various reasons, including laziness, I prefer not to strip DRM.)

I would turn the question around: Why doesn't Sony want to sell their most excellent devices to B&N customers looking for a better device? They might even sell some ebooks of their own.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 03:27 PM   #697
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pietvo View Post
Does anybody know if the T1 will support epub3?
ePub3 is mostly to add multimedia tro ePub. There's no need for annoying us with video & audio when what we want is just to read.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 03:46 PM   #698
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pietvo View Post
Does anybody know if the T1 will support epub3?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
ePub3 is mostly to add multimedia tro ePub. There's no need for annoying us with video & audio when what we want is just to read.
So is that a yes, no, or you don't know?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 05:00 PM   #699
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I would turn the question around: Why doesn't Sony want to sell their most excellent devices to B&N customers looking for a better device? They might even sell some ebooks of their own.
Because the ebook industry is not mature enough for most people to be looking for devices they can port their already-owned books to.

For most people, what file types they buy is dependent on what device(s) they own, not vice versa. There's no need for Sony, or anyone else, to court the owners of BN media files, because that's market too small to cater to.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 04:12 PM   #700
JirkaS
JirkaS began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone, Sony PRS 505
Hi, any word about internationalization? I mean being able to load a book written in czech, slovak, russian or any other languages? I mean, do they discovered unicode fonts already?

Sorry posted to a wrong forum - should be the forum about SONY DRS T1.

Last edited by JirkaS; 10-09-2011 at 04:15 PM.
JirkaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 01:00 PM   #701
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
It's too bad that Sony doesn't seem to have any interest in releasing their readers in South Africa. The local Sony staff said that there is "no plans on bringing the T1 here".
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 01:39 PM   #702
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
It's too bad that Sony doesn't seem to have any interest in releasing their readers in South Africa. The local Sony staff said that there is "no plans on bringing the T1 here".
Were you talking to people at a Sony Store? If so, they wouldn't be ones to really ask. Store employees find out only after it is announced to the public, and it may just be that region is just getting a delayed launch.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 02:41 PM   #703
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
Were you talking to people at a Sony Store? If so, they wouldn't be ones to really ask. Store employees find out only after it is announced to the public, and it may just be that region is just getting a delayed launch.
No, it's the local Sony distributors and their customer services. I guess I shouldn't be all that surprised since none of the over readers were available here.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 05:37 PM   #704
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Sony stores are, basically, nothing to do with Sony ...
They are stand alone businesses, franchise-type, or so I was told by a Sony exec...
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:39 PM   #705
Murre
Connoisseur
Murre can name that ebook in five wordsMurre can name that ebook in five wordsMurre can name that ebook in five wordsMurre can name that ebook in five wordsMurre can name that ebook in five wordsMurre can name that ebook in five wordsMurre can name that ebook in five wordsMurre can name that ebook in five wordsMurre can name that ebook in five wordsMurre can name that ebook in five wordsMurre can name that ebook in five words

Device: Nook
Basically, living in Europe and the cost of getting a Nook here and Kindle not supporting ePub it feels like this is the best choice atm.
What do you think, this will be my first eRader.
Does it compete with Nook/Kindle spec wise?
Murre is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
prs-t1, sony, specs