Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-30-2011, 10:02 PM   #1
canadian
canadian began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Broken Kobo Screen, after only 2 weeks?

I recently won a kobo in a contest and I'm loving it! Well I was, until I reached into my bag and found that a weird pattern had formed all over it. It looks like it's split into four uneven, jagged pieces (not the actual screen, the design on it), and each on the pieces had a series of horizontal/vertical lines running through it. The lines are perfectly straight. The picture that was on the screen is still legible, mostly. This is the newer model with wifi. Nothing happens when I press power, but the screen kind of flashes.

I was wondering, is this a defect? Or does it mean I broke it? Would I be able to get it replaced? Since I won it in a contest, I do not have a receipt.. So I'm unsure of what to do.

Thank you.
canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 10:19 PM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian View Post
I recently won a kobo in a contest and I'm loving it! Well I was, until I reached into my bag and found that a weird pattern had formed all over it. It looks like it's split into four uneven, jagged pieces (not the actual screen, the design on it), and each on the pieces had a series of horizontal/vertical lines running through it. The lines are perfectly straight. The picture that was on the screen is still legible, mostly. This is the newer model with wifi. Nothing happens when I press power, but the screen kind of flashes.

I was wondering, is this a defect? Or does it mean I broke it? Would I be able to get it replaced? Since I won it in a contest, I do not have a receipt.. So I'm unsure of what to do.

Thank you.
It sounds like you broke the screen. You will need to contact Kobo for what to do. I am sure it would be better if you could get some sort of receipt from the party you got it from.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-30-2011, 11:06 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Actually, I think you might find that Kobo do not need a receipt; when I dealt with them recently the only thing they were interested in was the serial # from the Kobo itself.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 12:06 AM   #4
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
Same here. I did a request regarding information on getting my broken screen fixed. All they requested was my name, address, where I bought my Kobo and the Kobo WiFi serial number. Their response was very quick and they shipped me a box + shipping label and a Purolator Express shipping bag withing 2 days of the email. I shipped back my Kobo and within about 2 maybe 3 days I received what appears to be a new one.

5 Stars for Customer service on this problem.
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 04:02 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian View Post

Thank you.
You've broken it. An eInk screen has a very thin glass substrate under the outer plastic screen; you've fractured this. Whatever case you were keeping it in (and I sincerely hope your WERE keeping it in a case!) it sounds as if you need a tougher one. The warranty covers manufacturing defects, not user abuse, so I doubt it will be covered.

Next time, for goodness sake get a STRONG case and make sure that you keep the reader in it!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2011, 10:49 AM   #6
46jimbo
Zealot
46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: Kobo Touch + Kobo Aura
It could just be that the battery has decharged. Try recharging the device. I had this happen to my Sony ereader, and it also looked like a 'broken' screen. Recharging fixed it.
46jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 12:39 AM   #7
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
...The warranty covers manufacturing defects, not user abuse, so I doubt it will be covered.

Next time, for goodness sake get a STRONG case and make sure that you keep the reader in it!
Perhaps you should had read what I wrote... the one just above the one you wrote. I told Kobo I broke my screen and I was fully expecting some sort of fee to have it fixed. They replaced it no charge. Freaking awesome if you ask me. I don't know of any other company that would do that.

Ditto on the case.
Old 06-06-2011, 12:41 AM   #8
Danger
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46jimbo View Post
It could just be that the battery has decharged. Try recharging the device. I had this happen to my Sony ereader, and it also looked like a 'broken' screen. Recharging fixed it.
Nope, the Kobo reader will shut itself down before the battery has fully discharged and will not let you do anything until you charge it. The fractured look on the screen is most definitely a broken screen. I know from experience
Old 08-21-2012, 01:40 PM   #9
Xiexie
Xiexie began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Chapters Ottawa exchanged screen-broke Kobo

Had a similar problem with the screen suddenly splitting into 4 parts. It was still clickable, but unreadable. I tried the standard and factory reboots to no effect. Chapters Ottawa SouthKeys examined it and promptly exchanged it. Really great customer service, no hassles. Hats off to them.
Xiexie is offline   Reply With Quote