Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-04-2011, 01:06 PM   #1
iceman0918
iceman0918 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Buying two E-readers, one for me, one for my wife.

Do I buy two of the same? Is there a good reason to buy a Kindle and a Nook?

I've done a fair amount of research and I think I like the Kindle better over-all as a product but I could see the advantage of the Nook with regard to borrowing e-books from the library in ePub format. How easy of a process is it to convert the ePub book to a PDF or another format that the Kindle can read? Can you even do this with a "protected" file like this that you borrow from the library?

Thoughts on this dilemma?

Thanks!
iceman0918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 01:21 PM   #2
tm3
Groupie
tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Device: Kindle 3
an advantage of buying two different ones is that you each may decide you like the other ones reader better, and you can then swap.

ereaders vary so much that a lot of the choice really just boils down to personal preference. read through the threads here to see how passionate some folks are over touch screen, no touch screen, etc.

my best recommendation is to get a hands on preview before you buy, or maybe narrow it down to 2 or 3 and do an in home trial. getting it right would be worth return shipping.

as far as the library books on the kindle, i would say that your ability to get on to this forum and post a message demonstrates that you have the requisite skill set for getting library books onto your kindle. setting it up requires downloading and installing software. once set up, it is a very easy process.
tm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2011, 01:24 PM   #3
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Google Apprentice Alf. That blog has step by step instructions that you will find useful.

Take a look at the e-books your library offers and figure out if you really are going to be donwlaoding a lot of books from the library. If you want to read library books I would suggest the Nook or Sony. It is easier to get the library books on them.

If you find that you are not getting a lot of library books and you prefer the Kindle, get a couple of Kindles.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote