Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-01-2009, 03:02 PM   #1
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Swingline Customer Service

Too many times these days we buy expensive gadgets that poop out on us way before their time.

In November, I bought an electric stapler, Swingline model #48204. We do a lot of stapling at school, we make books, etc. I was always careful to use the recommended staples, and not go even near the maximum recommended sheet load. It cost $94, so was a sizeable investment, but sure made short work out of stapling!

Imagine my feelings when it suddenly started misfiring, double stapling, hanging, etc. Nothing helped, made sure there were no jams, changed staple cartridge, etc.

So, first I emailed their support center. Waited one week, and when I received no supply, called the 800 number which is conveniently on bottom of stapler.

I have to say, I wasn't expecting much. However, the nice lady, asked me what it was doing, when I bought it, and for my phone number.

Imagine my shock when she said "no problem, its still under guarantee, we'll ship you out a new one immediately. You can expect it in 7-14 working days."

When I picked my jaw up off the floor, I asked her what shipping information she needed. She already had everything on her computer. Apparently whenever anything is sold, at least by Amazon, they get the data in their computers.

You can bet I will continue to buy from this company. AND recommend them to anyone. With all the negative feedback out there about shoddy merchandise, its nice to be able to throw in an "atta boy" once in a while.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 03:16 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Don't you love that! I still have some old Swingline staplers.

I've got a story as well. I remodeled my bathrooms in 2007. I installed these really cool looking wavy grab bars. Well the one in my Master bath started to deteriorate in less than a year. I'm sure I used something that was too harsh for it in trying to get rid of hard water spots. The one in the Guest bath is still in great condition because it doesn't get used that often.

One day, after I was well past my warranty, I called the company just to get advice on how I should have cleaned it properly. The woman on the phone thanked me for my honesty about being out of warranty and sent me the bar replacement part for FREE (these were expensive bars). They had upgraded the coating on their finishes since I had purchased mine, so now I have the upgraded unit.

They made my day.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 03:18 PM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Don't you love that! I still have some old Swingline staplers.

I've got a story as well. I remodeled my bathrooms in 2007. I installed these really cool looking . Well the one in my Master bath started to deteriorate in less than a year. I'm sure I used something that was too harsh for it in trying to get rid of hard water spots. The one in the Guest bath is still in great condition because it doesn't get used that often.

One day, after I was well past my warranty, I called the company just to get advice on how I should have cleaned it properly. The woman on the phone thanked me for my honesty about being out of warranty and sent me the bar replacement part for FREE (these were expensive bars). They had upgraded the coating on their finishes since I had purchased mine, so now I have the upgraded unit.

They made my day.
Those are really gorgeous.
Old 06-01-2009, 03:21 PM   #4
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
First thing I thought of:

/it doesn't bind up so much
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 03:42 PM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
First thing I thought of:

/it doesn't bind up so much
Excellent. Now, try stapling 200, 20 page books, three staples each, and see how far you get....
Old 06-01-2009, 04:39 PM   #6
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
those electric staplers are cool eh?

I think you bought it from them, they were just selling it on amazon. if you go to their page you will probably see, Sold by swingline, fulfilled by amazon, (if it has free shipping you will see that atleast)
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 05:09 PM   #7
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybaby View Post
those electric staplers are cool eh?

I think you bought it from them, they were just selling it on amazon. if you go to their page you will probably see, Sold by swingline, fulfilled by amazon, (if it has free shipping you will see that atleast)
Nope. The model I bought is not availabe right now, but two other models are "shipped from and sold by Amazon".
Old 06-01-2009, 09:13 PM   #8
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Excellent. Now, try stapling 200, 20 page books, three staples each, and see how far you get....
What on earth are you stapling? Revolutionary fliers? VOTE FOR PORTUGAL??
Old 06-01-2009, 09:27 PM   #9
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
What on earth are you stapling? Revolutionary fliers? VOTE FOR PORTUGAL??
No, these are guided reading books downloaded from this site
http://www.readinga-z.com/

Books are downloaded, printed, cut and stapled. They are used for reading centers, and there are 26 levels, on for each letter of the alphabet. Each letter has from 20-36 books. We need 6 copies of each book, (there are six students in each center) plus a master.

Levels of difficulty rise as the letters of the alphabet get larger. It takes a pretty organized teacher to keep her kids at the same level together, and to make sure each group has the proper book. And we do this 3 times a week. Different books each time.

the kids are tested each time on comprehension, speed, and reading ability. Some of the kinders were reading at level M at the end of the year. Here is some info

Level M books feature:

* 550-760 words total
* Average of 9-10 words per sentence
* Full pages of text
* Text can wrap illustrations
* More complex sentences
* More specialized vocabulary
* Illustrations used to extend meaning
* Table of contents, captions, index, and glossary in factual books
* Tables, charts, and graphs
* 20 pages

Here is a Level AA, where many started........

Level aa books feature:

* 1-3 words per page; 2-3 word average
* One word change per page
* 16 - 24 words total
* 1-2 high utility words and a descriptive word.
* Repetition of high-utility words
* One line per page
* Mostly picture captions
* One-to-one text-to-picture correspondence
* Familiar topics
* Consistent text placement
* 8 page

TMI? Sorry, but I just love watching kids learn to read!
Old 06-01-2009, 09:53 PM   #10
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
No, these are guided reading books downloaded from this site
http://www.readinga-z.com/

Books are downloaded, printed, cut and stapled. They are used for reading centers, and there are 26 levels, on for each letter of the alphabet. Each letter has from 20-36 books. We need 6 copies of each book, (there are six students in each center) plus a master.

Levels of difficulty rise as the letters of the alphabet get larger. It takes a pretty organized teacher to keep her kids at the same level together, and to make sure each group has the proper book. And we do this 3 times a week. Different books each time.

the kids are tested each time on comprehension, speed, and reading ability. Some of the kinders were reading at level M at the end of the year. Here is some info

Level M books feature:

* 550-760 words total
* Average of 9-10 words per sentence
* Full pages of text
* Text can wrap illustrations
* More complex sentences
* More specialized vocabulary
* Illustrations used to extend meaning
* Table of contents, captions, index, and glossary in factual books
* Tables, charts, and graphs
* 20 pages

Here is a Level AA, where many started........

Level aa books feature:

* 1-3 words per page; 2-3 word average
* One word change per page
* 16 - 24 words total
* 1-2 high utility words and a descriptive word.
* Repetition of high-utility words
* One line per page
* Mostly picture captions
* One-to-one text-to-picture correspondence
* Familiar topics
* Consistent text placement
* 8 page

TMI? Sorry, but I just love watching kids learn to read!
Wow, you really know your stuff That's a great thing to staple!
Old 06-01-2009, 09:59 PM   #11
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Wow, you really know your stuff That's a great thing to staple!
No, I just take my lead from an awesome teacher.....who, as it happens is going into 1st next year, along with my Abbey.

Life is good.
Old 06-02-2009, 01:55 AM   #12
Curly
I need a holiday!
Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: PRS-505, ipod touch
Quote:
No, I just take my lead from an awesome teacher.....who, as it happens is going into 1st next year, along with my Abbey.

Life is good.

That's great! It makes the transition to the next grade level so much easier when the teacher moves with their class -- especially the move from kindergarten to first grade. Will you and your stapler move to first grade as well?
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 05:23 PM   #13
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
That's great of you DG.

As for Swingline, I still have a Swingline stapler that has been around since the 1950s. It is not used much anymore. The stapler on my desk is a manual Swingline. They just make very good equipment that is fairly priced.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 05:24 PM   #14
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly View Post
That's great! It makes the transition to the next grade level so much easier when the teacher moves with their class -- especially the move from kindergarten to first grade. Will you and your stapler move to first grade as well?
Of course!! Soon enough she won't want 'nana' around. But for now.........I'm taking full advantage.