Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-12-2013, 05:25 AM   #17131
rajamath36
rajamath36 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Post Dracula !

Im reading the classic Dracula these days.
Really enjoying the book !
rajamath36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:26 AM   #17132
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Now Reading Tainted Garden by Jeff Stanley, my oldest-unread-paid-for ebook, bought in April 2003. And this one I certainly haven't read before.
Some interesting ideas, but I couldn't suspend disbelief. It was fairly obvious how the two strands were going to tie up, but I was disappointed in the exact way they did in the end. It also seemed to me to be written with one eye on film rights. A bit too much gore for my liking. I can't recommend it.

Next I read Assignment in Eternity by Robert A. Heinlein from the August Baen Monthly Bundle (still a few days left if you want to buy the bundle!).

A good collection of some of his earlier stories, with a nice afterword by David Drake. I'd read the stories before, but they were worth a re-read.

Now I'm reading another from the bundle: Queen of Wands by John Ringo. So far an excellent sequel to his earlier Princess of Wands. (Although if my guess as to the way the story is going, they might have been more appropriate with the titles swapped!)
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 01:52 PM   #17133
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
After finishing The Forever War I decided to take a break from the hugo/nebula winners and catch up a bit on my Star Trek reading. I haven't read any in quite a while so wasn't sure where to start. I had started reading The Great Gatsbay, but it just didn't seem to hold my interest. Although, it is a pretty short book.

I looked at some more recent ones and found what seems to be a mini series of 4 books that was fairly recent.

Star Trek: The Next Generation: Cold Equations: The Persistence of Memory: Book One

Star Trek: The Next Generation: Cold Equations: Silent Weapons: Book Two

Star Trek: The Next Generation: Cold Equations: The Body Electric: Book Three

I was only planning to buy the first one, but when I saw that they were each $.99 on the Kindle store I just bought all three.

The pro-log seemed to say the first one takes place after the Last Next Gen movie.

I started the first book, so far so good. I think David Mack is the author of several other Trek books I have enjoyed.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 05:50 PM   #17134
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post

I started the first book, so far so good. I think David Mack is the author of several other Trek books I have enjoyed.

BOb
Yeah, he wrote several in the Star Trek Vanguard series (original series) which I'm in the middle of reading. Plot moves slow.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:55 PM   #17135
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Next up, I'm tackling The Forever War by Joe Haldeman. I've had the omnibus in my shelves for at least a couple of years and it's time I sampled the trilogy. I'm hoping I like it enough to want to read the other two.
So, I've finally read The Forever War. I liked this book. Most of the story couldn't be called gripping. However, I liked the portrayal of war and thought the changes to civilisation over the centuries were quite interesting to read about.

I wouldn't have called it an action novel, but there were a few pretty intense action scenes and they worked well for me, especially the final battle scene. And the ending was surprisingly tender.

Next up, The Conjure Book by A A Attanasio, one of my favourite writers. I haven't read one of his novels for a while, so I'm about due.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 01:01 AM   #17136
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Well, Mort isn't available yet, so I started In Enemy Hands by David Weber (Honor Harrington 7) and got about 10% into it before deciding I wanted something different. I will still complete it (probably this month) but I want a little more separation from the previous ones.

I decided to check on other library books to see what is available. Beyond now having 5 reserved I also have Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy by John le Carre on my Kindle and I will start reading it this evening. It is book 5 in the George Smiley books but book 1 of the "Karla Trilogy" and since I have seen the movie, I hope I can get away with starting in the middle of a series.

None of the reserved books were on my TBR, oops.
The movie really matched the feel of the book in Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy, I really enjoyed it. Probably need to read the previous books to understand his relationship with Ann, although that may not help anyway.

Mort came in a couple days ago along with Rain Storm (now Winner Take All) by Barry Eisler. Mort first I think, probably starting on Monday.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 02:39 AM   #17137
SouthernSun
Connoisseur
SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
I'm still plunking my way through Stephen King's IT (I'm a frustratingly slow reader - we're nearly there! ~400 pages left!), but for now I'm taking a small break to read Stephen King's newest work, Joyland - you've probably heard of it because it's not being released as an ebook. It's very small, so I suspect I'll have it finished by the time the day's through.

Quote:
College student Devin Jones took the summer job at Joyland hoping to forget the girl who broke his heart. But he wound up facing something far more terrible: the legacy of a vicious murder, the fate of a dying child, and dark truths about life - and what comes after - that would change his world forever.

Life is not always a butcher's game. Sometimes the prizes are real. Sometimes they're precious.
SouthernSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 04:50 AM   #17138
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Just finished "Mike" - the final (and by far the best, IMHO) book in P.G. Wodehouse's "School" series. From Wiki:

Quote:
The first half of the story, introduces Michael "Mike" Jackson. Mike is the youngest son of a renowned cricketing family. Mike's eldest brother Joe is a successful first-class player, while another brother, Bob, is on the verge of his school team. When Mike arrives at Wrykyn himself, his cricketing talent and love of adventure bring him success and trouble in equal measure.

The second part, also known as "Enter Psmith" or "Mike and Psmith", takes place two years later. Mike, due to take over as cricket captain at Wrykyn, is withdrawn from the school by his father and sent to a lesser school, called Sedleigh. On arrival at Sedleigh, he meets the eccentric Rupert Psmith, another new arrival from the superior school of Eton. Becoming fast friends, the two eschew cricket and indulge in all manner of high-jinks and adventures.
A wonderful book, especially to a cricket lover such a myself (a lot of the book is about cricket). The book also introduces the character of "Psmith", who has a couple more books to himself ("Psmith in the City", "Psmith, Journalist"), and these in turn are linked to Wodehouse's "Blandings Castle" series.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 11:11 AM   #17139
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Queen of Wands by John Ringo. So far an excellent sequel to his earlier Princess of Wands. (Although if my guess as to the way the story is going, they might have been more appropriate with the titles swapped!)
Well, the story didn't go the way I guessed. Indeed, it went in a direction I didn't expect at all, and, IMO, has jumped the shark, and it's only the second book in the series. A shame.

Next up: my oldest purchase that I think I haven't read: Time Tripper by Brian Larson, bought almost exactly 10 years ago, in July 2003.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 11:46 AM   #17140
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Just finished "Mike" - the final (and by far the best, IMHO) book in P.G. Wodehouse's "School" series. [...]
I've only read a little P.G. Wodehouse, and that was a long time ago. Any recommendations on the best place to start if want to dive back in again?
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 12:35 PM   #17141
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
I am currently reading Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone on my Kindle.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 02:37 PM   #17142
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
I've only read a little P.G. Wodehouse, and that was a long time ago. Any recommendations on the best place to start if want to dive back in again?
I prefer the novels to the short stories. Try "Psmith in the City"; it's in the US public domain.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 03:37 PM   #17143
orange!
Born to be wild
orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle K3 wi-fi, Nexus 7 + Aldiko
Guess I'm the last person on earth to read The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks--just finished it. Glad I read it--some really interesting ideas and a well-told story.
orange! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 04:00 PM   #17144
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Finished Before They are Hanged and going immediately to the final book in the series, that is Last Argument of Kings.

First Law Series is really a great one. I recommend it to any fantasy fan, especially those who like dark fantasy.
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 05:35 PM   #17145
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Just finished The City and The City by China Mieville. I read this based on recommendations from other addicts, er, I mean eBook enthusiasts here at MobileRead and it was excellent. Very imaginative and very well written.

Next it's Lonely Planets by David Grinspoon recommended by Kennyc who never gets it wrong.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote