Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 06-02-2011, 02:02 PM   #16
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
This is the first time I've dropped in on the Plugin forum in a few weeks - you've been busy! Wow, pages, reading lists... Somehow I don't think I'm going to get much real work done today. Great work!
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 01:58 AM   #17
pike2000
pike2000 began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook Pro 903
Possible bugs and improvements

Could you clarify how it is supposed to work? I added "Read" and "To Read" lists. I created 2 custom columns. And it seems that all 3 lists (including "Default") share the same column and tags (to add/remove). Every time I change either the column or the tags in the plugin properties all lists are affected, not just the list shown in the "Lists" menu.

It would be nice if each list has own "Tags to add/remove when adding to the list" value. It will allow to display different text for different lists. The idea is that when all columns are displayed in GUI it easy visible what lists some book belong to (without looking for the columns names).

What types of columns are shown in the "Column to update" menu? It seems that only the "Comma separated text, like tags, shown in the tag browser". I did not try all possible types but I added "Text, but with a fixed set of permitted values" column. The column is not shown in the menu.

Some custom columns can be displayed using colors. Rating columns are displayed as starts. It would be nice if such columns can be used in the reading lists.
pike2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 04:10 AM   #18
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Hi pike2000, welcome to mobileread.

Those were all intentional limitations, so you have the behaviour correct. In hindsight I realise I should have made the extra effort to make the column and tags a per list setting as it falls apart as a concept if you have multiple lists, so I will fix that.

The problem with supporting more column types is what value do I put in them. So again I chose the easy route of just supporting text type columns. For instance you mention a stars column which along with any of the numerical based columns I wouldn't have thought made any sense to indicate presence on a list?

A permitted value text column should have worked I thought though I did not try it. So I can fix that if it is broken. I could I guess also add support for yes/no columns too. But a rating column doesn't make sense to me?
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 11:43 AM   #19
comox
Enthusiast
comox began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thank you for a great new plugin.

I am glad to see you are considering adding a unique tag per list. I would find this very helpful.
comox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 12:42 PM   #20
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
Those were all intentional limitations, so you have the behaviour correct. In hindsight I realise I should have made the extra effort to make the column and tags a per list setting as it falls apart as a concept if you have multiple lists, so I will fix that.
At first I didn't realize this wasn't the case because of the way I used it yesterday - create new list, input desired column & tag, then add desired books. Rinse, repeat. It was only after I saw a book I wanted to put on a previous list that I realized the tags weren't "attached" to the lists, and at first I thought it was something I did. (I mean, after all, when something doesn't work as expected, it's usually my fault.)

So I, too, am happy to hear that you'll be changing that. I've got a whole new system now thanks to this plugin. I use it to create "priority lists" accessible from the tag browser. I could have done it before with a custom column, but using the plugin is much faster than editing the metadata field, and that's without even using shortcut keys yet.
Old 06-03-2011, 12:48 PM   #21
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes it is one of those things in hindsight you smack your forehead over and say how could I have been so stupid

I did consider doing it at the time, but because it is quite a bit of extra work I took a shortcut and thought that per library settings would be enough. Obviously it isn't... duh... I only use a single list myself so hadn't spotted the impact of it in usage.

I'm coding it up at the moment so should be a release in a few hours.
Old 06-03-2011, 12:57 PM   #22
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist

Quote:
Yes it is one of those things in hindsight you smack your forehead over and say how could I have been so stupid

I did consider doing it at the time, but because it is quite a bit of extra work I took a shortcut and thought that per library settings would be enough. Obviously it isn't... duh... I only use a single list myself so hadn't spotted the impact of it in usage.

I'm coding it up at the moment so should be a release in a few hours.

And on that note, it's time to make the donation rounds again. Which, coincidentally, is made so much easier by the plugin updater plugin.
Old 06-03-2011, 01:13 PM   #23
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

@CWatkinsNash - thx so much for that, you just made my weekend
Old 06-03-2011, 01:51 PM   #24
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist

Quote:
@CWatkinsNash - thx so much for that, you just made my weekend
You're very welcome! Anyone who makes my life easier (and allows me to geek out in the process) deserves to be rewarded.

(Note to self: good deeds on Fridays make entire weekends, whereas good deeds Monday - Thursday make someone's day. Do deeds on Friday when possible from now on.)
Old 06-03-2011, 03:22 PM   #25
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

v1.1 Released

Changes in this release:
  • Change all tagging column definitions and values to be per list rather than per library
  • Support other custom column types of enumeration and boolean

I've added code that should migrate your lists and columns/value to the new structure needed for the column change above. This should now allow you to set different columns/values for different lists in the same library. I also added support for yes/no columns and "text with a permitted set of values" columns.
Old 06-04-2011, 09:47 AM   #26
beckywc
Addict
beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini w/Retina, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire HDX 8.9, & Asus Transformer
I now get an error since updating to 1.1:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre_plugins.reading_list.action", line 312, in show_configuration
File "site-packages\calibre\customize\__init__.py", line 150, in do_user_config
File "calibre_plugins.reading_list.__init__", line 62, in config_widget
File "calibre_plugins.reading_list.config", line 268, in __init__
File "calibre_plugins.reading_list.config", line 288, in _select_list_combo_index_changed
File "calibre_plugins.reading_list.config", line 122, in get_tags_to_add_remove
AttributeError: 'list' object has no attribute 'get'
beckywc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 10:00 AM   #27
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

@beckywc - I would say there was a problem migrating your previous lists. Did you restart calibre after installing the new version?

Can you please attach your Reading List.json file to a post (you may have to zip it first to attach it, or else just paste the content into a spoiler tag on here). You can find this using Preferences->Misc->Open Calibre configuration directory and going to the plugins subfolder.

If you just want to get going, you could just delete this file and restart calibre, but that will lose your lists.
Old 06-05-2011, 12:16 AM   #28
beckywc
Addict
beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini w/Retina, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire HDX 8.9, & Asus Transformer
I did restart my computer a few times. readinglist.zip

Last edited by beckywc; 06-05-2011 at 12:20 AM.
beckywc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 07:24 AM   #29
kenr276
Enthusiast
kenr276 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckywc View Post
I now get an error since updating to 1.1:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre_plugins.reading_list.action", line 312, in show_configuration
File "site-packages\calibre\customize\__init__.py", line 150, in do_user_config
File "calibre_plugins.reading_list.__init__", line 62, in config_widget
File "calibre_plugins.reading_list.config", line 268, in __init__
File "calibre_plugins.reading_list.config", line 288, in _select_list_combo_index_changed
File "calibre_plugins.reading_list.config", line 122, in get_tags_to_add_remove
AttributeError: 'list' object has no attribute 'get'
I get same error.
kenr276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 08:01 AM   #30
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

Thanks for confirming becky's issue. Obviously there as some sort of configuration migration issue, though I am surprised more people haven't reported it.

The easiest solution for you if you don't mind losing your lists is to rename the Reading List.json file in your calibre plugins folder, then restart calibre. Set your lists up again. Then add your books again, or if you want to you could copy the list of comma separated id values over from the old configuration file that you renamed to the new one.

I will take a look at becky's file shortly to see if I can find out why it went wrong for you both and if a new plugin version could fix it.