Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: August 2010 Mobile Read Book Club Vote
Sh*t My Dad Says by Halpern, Justin 11 13.25%
The Long Goodbye by Raymond Chandler 22 26.51%
Eye of the Needle by Ken Follett 10 12.05%
Don't Sleep There Are Snakes by Daniel Everett 6 7.23%
The Guns of August by Barbara W. Tuchman 5 6.02%
Life of Pi by Yann Martel 3 3.61%
Aspects of the Novel by E. M. Forster 6 7.23%
The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak 11 13.25%
The Tipping Point: How Little Things Can Make a Big Difference by Malcolm Gladwell 7 8.43%
Memoirs of a Woman of Pleasure by John Cleland 2 2.41%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-24-2010, 05:41 PM   #61
yekim54
What the Dog Saw
yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Surface3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Just a reminder that Mr. Chandler's works are not in the public domain in the USA, Europe, or indeed most places other than Canada. Please do not download it if it is not in the public domain for you.
Hmmm, if this had been posted before voting started I wonder if the tally would be significantly different.
yekim54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 06:11 PM   #62
Trebro
Connoisseur
Trebro began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by yekim54 View Post
Hmmm, if this had been posted before voting started I wonder if the tally would be significantly different.
Not in my case, since I really want to read some Chandler. Though given it's close to $10 for the ebook version, I'll probably hit up the library for a DT copy. Kinda feel like that's a lot for a book so old.
Trebro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 06:23 PM   #63
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
See here:

http://inkmesh.com/search/?qs=The+Lo...nE=Find+Ebooks

a number of choices.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 07:33 PM   #64
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by yekim54 View Post
While I understand Harry's need to reiterate the copyright differences between the United States and Canada, I'm not going to lose sleep over whether the Bono Copyright Term Extension Act is fair or not.

And you can take that anyway you please...

Edit: Oh, and I didn't vote for Chandler

Last edited by jgaiser; 07-24-2010 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Added note..
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 02:35 AM   #65
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It has nothing to do with Mr. Bono and his copyright term extension. Mr. Chandler only died in 1959, hence his works are still protected by copyright in all countries with a "life+70" copyright term.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 04:14 AM   #66
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
@ BOb
In view of Harry's reminder , I am kindly and seriously asking a statement from you. If the reminder is to be considered in the general frame of MR policy, it is one thing, if it will affect the practical result of the poll by some ruling emanating from you, it is an other.
Thank you

P.S. Bob is probably fast asleep, unless he is travelling in Europe.

Last edited by beppe; 07-25-2010 at 04:18 AM.
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 04:27 AM   #67
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Why should it affect anything, beppe? Book club nominations are simply dependent upon whether or not a book is available as an ebook, not upon whether it's is in the public domain. Anyone who was interested to know could have easily checked when Raymond Chandler died, and hence whether or not his books were in the public domain in their country.
Old 07-25-2010, 04:37 AM   #68
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Why should it affect anything, beppe? Book club nominations are simply dependent upon whether or not a book is available as an ebook, not upon whether it's is in the public domain. Anyone who was interested to know could have easily checked when Raymond Chandler died, and hence whether or not his books were in the public domain in their country.
What you say finds me in agreement.

Now, I answer your question. A ruling by Bob would have effects, undoubtedly. If Bob rules or not, and in which sense, this depends on him. That is why I asked for a statement.
Old 07-25-2010, 05:53 AM   #69
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
A "ruling" by Bob (or Harry or Beppe) has nothing to do with any of this.

Harry made a statement regarding copyright.

I provided a search link to where the book is available (free in come cases, not it others).

The book is available (in ebook form), it's in the poll....

(maybe more important what Jon's "ruling" is )
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 06:18 AM   #70
beppe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I provided a search link to where the book is available (free in come cases, not it others).
And useful is. With the MR is in first place and when one follows it he finds in bold the warning about copyright.

What else there is, or there was to say?

Ciao, Kenny, it is picnic time in the wood for me. Have a good day.
Old 07-25-2010, 07:35 AM   #71
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Chandler's book is the kind I'd like to "read" as an audiobook, but all I've been able to find are either abridged or even shorter dramatized versions.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 07:45 AM   #72
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I've got a large collection of audiobooks, but the only Chandler one I have is an unabridged version of "The Big Sleep", and some BBC Radio dramatisations with Ed Bishop as Marlowe (these are very good!). I see that all that "Audible" appear to have are abridged versions.
Old 07-25-2010, 09:27 AM   #73
beppe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Chandler's book is the kind I'd like to "read" as an audiobook, but all I've been able to find are either abridged or even shorter dramatized versions.
Quote:
I've got a large collection of audiobooks, but the only Chandler one I have is an unabridged version of "The Big Sleep", and some BBC Radio dramatisations with Ed Bishop as Marlowe (these are very good!). I see that all that "Audible" appear to have are abridged versions.
Audio books. They are so widespread. I have a number of audio things, mostly podcasts, interesting material. But I do not listen to them, and stopped accumulating them, because they require concentration, and the only time I imagine I could activate it, is while driving on a long monotonous trip. But even then, there is a disturbance and there it goes the story, the thread, ...

How do you listen to them? can you give me some advice?
Old 07-25-2010, 09:28 AM   #74
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I listen to audiobooks in my car, on my way to and from work. I have about a 45 minute journey each way, and it makes what would otherwise be a wasted hour and a half an enjoyable experience.
Old 07-25-2010, 09:41 AM   #75
glowhappy
lost my wits...
glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Quote:
I listen to audiobooks in my car, on my way to and from work. I have about a 45 minute journey each way, and it makes what would otherwise be a wasted hour and a half an enjoyable experience.
I've tried listening to an audio book during a 500 mile road trip. It only made me sleepy.
glowhappy is offline   Reply With Quote