Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-23-2011, 11:05 AM   #16
kdoc
Enthusiast
kdoc began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Glare

Which one did you get, where, and does it work well without diminishing the overall quality of the picture when viewed inside, away from the sun?

kdoc
kdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 01:09 PM   #17
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdoc View Post
Which one did you get, where, and does it work well without diminishing the overall quality of the picture when viewed inside, away from the sun?

kdoc
The one I got doesn't fit well it's too big. So I am looking for a better one but for me anti-Glare is the way to go. I am use to them as I use one on my phone. I can turn up Screen Filter a little more now. I can't explain what it does for text but you lose the clearness but it's still very readable once you grow use to them.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2011, 10:57 PM   #18
SeaReader
SeaReader began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire, NookColor, NookClassic, iPad, Droid2
I have used the Barnes/Noble antiglare on the Nook Color for almost a year and now also on the Fire. It works very well to cut out the mirror effect of these screens in sunlight. Also fits the Fire just fine and applies easy for me and I am generally not good at these. No more dirty screens either.
SeaReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 11:07 PM   #19
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaReader View Post
I have used the Barnes/Noble antiglare on the Nook Color for almost a year and now also on the Fire. It works very well to cut out the mirror effect of these screens in sunlight. Also fits the Fire just fine and applies easy for me and I am generally not good at these. No more dirty screens either.
Where do I find this? I bought a new protector tonight but it's clear. Not many good antiglare ones out there.
Old 11-24-2011, 10:14 AM   #20
SeaReader
SeaReader began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire, NookColor, NookClassic, iPad, Droid2
BN Antiglare Film

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Where do I find this?
At a Barnes/Noble retail store in the Nook section with accessories and also at its website. http://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/nook...=9781616813819

Probably also at most stores that carry the Nook Color and its accessories. I bought the BN antiglare film kit last year for the Nook Color at a BN store and again this past week for the Fire at a Walmart store that carries the Nook and accessories.
SeaReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2011, 02:57 PM   #21
kdoc
Enthusiast

I've never managed to get one of those type of things on without bubbles. Is this one the same challenge? Did you have that problem?

kdoc
Old 11-24-2011, 04:01 PM   #22
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
I've never managed to get one of those type of things on without bubbles. Is this one the same challenge? Did you have that problem?

kdoc
I've read the ones that come with a solution spray do not have that issue. I ordered a Skinomi for $7 but it isn't anti-glare. I've yet to find one that is.
Old 11-24-2011, 04:06 PM   #23
hn333
Addict
hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire
Who reads in sunlight?
hn333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 07:59 PM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hn333 View Post
Who reads in sunlight?
I was reading today in direct sunlight as the sun came in through a window.

I do read in direct sunlight outside sometimes when the weather is warm enough.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 12:23 AM   #25
kdoc
Enthusiast

Reading

So we return to one of the main points. Kindle is for reading. Kindle cannot be read in the direct sunlight, nor can other backlit tablets. Yet it can be read in the dark, unlike the previous kindles. Now Kindle Fire is for other things too!! So, it comes down to this: yo pays yo money, takes yo chances, and decides yo decidings . That problem does definitely bother me and some others, but seems not to be a problem universally. I do have the other e-ink one, and, given this fact, I wouldn't part with it. I want to read no matter where the sun happens to be in relation to my screen.

kdoc
Old 11-25-2011, 09:49 AM   #26
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
I have had an anti-glare filter on my iPad 1 since I bought it when it came out, and it helps with reading, but does diminish the color quality of course (and also screen sharpness it seems to me). So I will try a clear screen protector on my kindle first (am too timid to use any high-priced electronic touchscreen device without a screen protector).

Best regards,
Andy
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 09:55 AM   #27
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Have you ever seen an LCD that was truly viewable in sunlight?
Yes; reflective LCDs such as the Jetbook uses are readable in sunlight.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 11:52 AM   #28
weatherman
Addict
weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (previous: Kindle 2, Kindle Fire) Kindle 4 WiFi, K3K, KPW
Quote:
That problem does definitely bother me and some others, but seems not to be a problem universally. I do have the other e-ink one, and, given this fact, I wouldn't part with it. I want to read no matter where the sun happens to be in relation to my screen.
I feel much the same way. Right now I have four Kindle-enabled devices in the house; an iPad, a Kindle 2, a Fire and an iPhone. I swore to myself that I wouldn't buy a Kindle "Color" until it could be read in direct sunlight. But clearly Amazon couldn't wait for the technology to be avaialble and cheap, so they launched their color tablet with an LCD screen. And I bought it anyway because I'm a gadget freak and Kindle fan who just can't resist. But I find the Fire does fit in a good niche for me, even of I can't read it outdoors. So I'll keep the Fire (I think) and keep the K2 around just in case.
weatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 03:19 PM   #29
kdoc
Enthusiast

I'm pretty much with you here, and have an older Kindle too. But as a quasi-geek/addict, and looking at my little Toshiba netbook and my KF, I keep wondering what's the point of a tablet over a tiny laptop?

kdoc
Old 11-25-2011, 03:46 PM   #30
weatherman
Addict
weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (previous: Kindle 2, Kindle Fire) Kindle 4 WiFi, K3K, KPW
Quote:
I'm pretty much with you here, and have an older Kindle too. But as a quasi-geek/addict, and looking at my little Toshiba netbook and my KF, I keep wondering what's the point of a tablet over a tiny laptop?
Well I think there's a big difference when it comes to reading. That's why I like the Kindle Fire over the iPad. Reading the iPad in bed is unwieldy, on the subway it's just sort of ostentatious, and even on the couch holding the iPad with one hand is tiring. A small laptop (like for instance the original Eee with a 7" scree) would be worse in all three of those situations, I would think. And for travelling abroad it might be nice to have a keyboard, but for the most part I'd rather just have something smaller and lighter that I can put in a jacket pocket around town or going through security. That's why I've decided I'm definitely liking the 7" form factor. The only question for me is whether the Kindle Fire is the best device for my needs in that class of devices.
weatherman is offline   Reply With Quote