Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-09-2011, 03:43 PM   #1
pietro99
Connoisseur
pietro99 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 3
Amazon UK and US differences.

I'm wondering about using a VPN to access Amazon UK. It seems there are Kindle books available there that aren't on the US site. And I'm wondering about price differences as well.

Has anyone had experience of both sites? I tried to search for this but got no result.
pietro99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 03:46 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The Amazon UK Kindle store is pretty new, so all of us in the UK were using the US site until recently. Amazon UK have a smaller selection of books than Amazon US, but very often their prices are considerably lower.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2011, 03:50 PM   #3
pietro99
Connoisseur

Interesting. Yesterday I watched a documentary about Italian noir and some of the books mentioned were not on the US site, but showed on UK. But the old story of not available to Australia. Hence the thought of the VPN.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:00 PM   #4
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
No need for the VPN for Amazon books. An authentic USA address is required.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:17 PM   #5
DMSmillie
Enquiring Mind
DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindle 3 (WiFi)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushka View Post
No need for the VPN for Amazon books. An authentic USA address is required.
Heh... not if you want to use the Amazon UK website it isn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pietro99 View Post
I'm wondering about using a VPN to access Amazon UK.
DMSmillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2011, 09:21 PM   #6
WalkingDistance
Connoisseur
WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Roald Dahl books aren't available in the US in case you were wondering. One day i wanted to revisit my childhood only to be slightly jealous of Amazon UK... haha.
WalkingDistance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 10:27 PM   #7
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMSmillie View Post
Heh... not if you want to use the Amazon UK website it isn't.
Well, I have a legitmate UK one too and that worked fine.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:56 PM   #8
pietro99
Connoisseur

Quote:
Well, I have a legitmate UK one too and that worked fine.
You are saying you have set up an Amazon UK account from Australia just by using a valid UK address, and presumably a UK email address. And you have bought Kindle books in this way?

It sounds too easy. I tried to do that for Amazon US and it didn't work...hence the VPN which unfortunately isn't worldwide.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:25 PM   #9
Pushka
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pietro99 View Post
You are saying you have set up an Amazon UK account from Australia just by using a valid UK address, and presumably a UK email address. And you have bought Kindle books in this way?

It sounds too easy. I tried to do that for Amazon US and it didn't work...hence the VPN which unfortunately isn't worldwide.
I know, it is very inconsistent. I have managed to do this but others haven't. I do buy a lot thru Amazon, not just books. They are shipped to an address in the USA and then on to me. But the uk store is my uncles address.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:39 AM   #10
DMB
Old Git
DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Two kindle PWs wifi, kindle fire, iPad3 wifi
Quote:
I know, it is very inconsistent. I have managed to do this but others haven't. I do buy a lot thru Amazon, not just books. They are shipped to an address in the USA and then on to me. But the uk store is my uncles address.
Do you also have a credit card registered at your uncle's address? How exactly does it work for ebooks?
DMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 04:44 PM   #11
Pushka
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMB View Post
Do you also have a credit card registered at your uncle's address? How exactly does it work for ebooks?
No, just my Australian credit card with the Australian address. I have shipped products to my USA address so it is a real one. But only ebooks to my UK one.