Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 05-23-2011, 02:59 AM   #1
kiwipippa
Fanatic
kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, kobo touch (dead), kindle touch, android phone
Conversion mixup - mobi to epub

I recently downloaded a free mobi book and converted it in calibre to epub (with a certain plugin in place). Everything went fine - except for one minor hitch. One of the middle chapters was moved to the beginning of the TOC. However, the page numbering didn't change. So when I copied the book to my device, it opened in the middle of the book.

When I view the book in the calibre viewer, the table of contents lists the chapter first but at page 105. The next chapter is on Page16. In the mobi format the chapter is in the TOC where it should be. I'm not techy enough to know whether this can be fixed.

I'm running calibre 0.8.1 on Windows 7, 32bit (if that makes a difference).

The book is this one (and it's a great read by the way - and the donation goes to a good cause).

http://www.amazon.com/Aftershocks-St...6133523&sr=1-1

(Actually I've just had a look - yesterday the book was free, with a donation to the earthquake relief, today they are charging 9.99)

Can anyone give me suggestions for how I can fix this?
kiwipippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 06:54 AM   #2
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Open the MOBI file in the Kindle viewer and see if the chapters appear in the correct order. Often time pre-processing plugins produce (I don't know if it's the plugin or the original book) corrupted files.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2011, 07:51 AM   #3
kiwipippa
Fanatic
kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks user_none, I opened the mobi file and although the chapter is in the correct place in the table of contents, I cannot bring up the table of contents in the calibre viewer (in the navigation pane on the left hand side) - I have to page to it in the book. In the epub the table of contents comes up in the navigation pane - with the chapter in the wrong place, and again when I scroll to it in the book - wrong place again.

So it looks like the mobi could have become corrupted when I imported it. I have tried to delete it but I'm not getting an error saying the file is in use (even though I have closed calibre and the viewer and tried again).

In debug mode I get this: (although I'm not sure I have debug mode working correctly - the message looks very long!) I am actually on 0.8.2

calibre Debug log
calibre 0.8.2
Windows-7-6.1.7601-SP1
Windows
('Windows', '7', '6.1.7601')
Python 2.7.1
Windows: ('7', '6.1.7601', 'SP1', 'Multiprocessor Free')
Failed to initialize plugin: u'C:\\Users\\Phillippa\\AppData\\Roaming\\calibre\ \plugins\\eReader PDB 2 PML.zip'
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\customize\ui.py", line 484, in initialize_plugins
File "site-packages\calibre\customize\ui.py", line 54, in load_plugin
File "site-packages\calibre\customize\zipplugin.py", line 160, in load
File "site-packages\calibre\customize\zipplugin.py", line 255, in _locate_code
InvalidPlugin: The plugin in u'C:\\Users\\Phillippa\\AppData\\Roaming\\calibre\ \plugins\\eReader PDB 2 PML.zip' is invalid. It does not contain a top-level __init__.py file
Starting up...
Started up in 33.7850000858
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\recycle_bin.py", line 54, in delete_tree
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\winshell.py", line 251, in delete_file
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\winshell.py", line 138, in _file_operation
x_winshell: 32
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\recycle_bin.py", line 45, in delete_tree
File "shutil.py", line 253, in rmtree
File "shutil.py", line 251, in rmtree
WindowsError: [Error 32] The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process: u'C:\\Users\\Phillippa\\Calibre Library\\The quakebook community\\2_46_ Aftershocks_ Stories from the Japa (88)'
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\actions\delete.py", line 279, in delete_books
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\library\models.py", line 228, in delete_books_by_id
File "site-packages\calibre\library\database2.py", line 1158, in delete_book
File "site-packages\calibre\library\database2.py", line 533, in rmtree
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\recycle_bin.py", line 59, in delete_tree
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\recycle_bin.py", line 50, in delete_tree
File "shutil.py", line 253, in rmtree
File "shutil.py", line 251, in rmtree
WindowsError: [Error 32] The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process: u'C:\\Users\\Phillippa\\Calibre Library\\The quakebook community\\2_46_ Aftershocks_ Stories from the Japa (88)'

Restarting with: C:\Program Files\Calibre2\calibre-debug.exe ['calibre-debug.exe', u'--gui-debug', u'c:\\users\\philli~1\\acalibre Debug log
calibre 0.8.2
Windows-7-6.1.7601-SP1
Windows
('Windows', '7', '6.1.7601')
Python 2.7.1
Windows: ('7', '6.1.7601', 'SP1', 'Multiprocessor Free')
Failed to initialize plugin: u'C:\\Users\\Phillippa\\AppData\\Roaming\\calibre\ \plugins\\eReader PDB 2 PML.zip'
File "site-packages\calibre\customize\ui.py", line 484, in initialize_plugins
File "site-packages\calibre\customize\ui.py", line 54, in load_plugin
File "site-packages\calibre\customize\zipplugin.py", line 160, in load
File "site-packages\calibre\customize\zipplugin.py", line 255, in _locate_code
InvalidPlugin: The plugin in u'C:\\Users\\Phillippa\\AppData\\Roaming\\calibre\ \plugins\\eReader PDB 2 PML.zip' is invalid. It does not contain a top-level __init__.py file

Starting up...
Started up in 13.2320001125

(and I have just found a sub forum for conversion, perhaps I should have posted there).
Old 05-23-2011, 09:44 AM   #4
user_none
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Open it in soemthing other than the calibre viewer. The calibre viewer internally converts to EPUB. What we ned to determine i if it's a calibre conversion issue or how the actual file is structured. In the vast majority of cases like this that I've seen it's an issue with the input file. However, I won't write any intance off with this explanation without investigating first.
Old 05-23-2011, 02:30 PM   #5
kiwipippa
Fanatic

I've had a look at the mobi in kindle for pc - the mobi file has no table of contents. It simply has a list of all the chapters which you must page through from the cover of the book to find. When you try to "go to table of contents" it doesn't take you to it. But the page numbering is correct and the rogue chapter is in the correct place.

So could it be this causing the problem? Perhaps epub requires a table of contents?

Thanks
Advert
Old 05-23-2011, 03:31 PM   #6
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Moderator Notice
Moved to correct forum.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 02:27 PM   #7
user_none

I really dont know. The only thing I can suggest is to use Sigil to correct the order.
Old 05-24-2011, 04:33 PM   #8
kiwipippa
Fanatic

User_none, thanks - I have never used sigl. But I had a go, and it worked. All fixed, chapters in order now and I have learnt something as well, always a bonus.