Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-02-2010, 12:41 AM   #1
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo
New Firmware (1.4) Discussion

So I thought I'd create a thread where we can talk about the new firmware release. Lets leave problems/issues regarding the installation process out of this thread and just focus on the firmware itself, please.

Here's a couple things I've noted in my short time with it so far:

* Syncing with the desktop app no longer resets all by books to 'NEW'. (This isn't really a firmware issue, but still worth mentioning)
* Apostrophes no longer seem to cause the "Content is Locked" message.
* Haven't had any problems with font-scaling; tested on a few Calibre news feeds and a few epubs that had the problem before.

There is a bug I've found, but I don't know if it's really a bug. It seems to be a side effect of deleting all the 100 preloaded books, which isn't officially supported by Kobo at this point:

When I go to my library list, click 'display' and select "Pre-Loaded Books", the list is empty, and all the letters at the top are greyed out (expected, I nuked my dbase a while ago). But the letter A is selected (A line above and below the letter), even thought it's greyed out. If I press the center button, the Kobo flashes the red/blue lights and immediately reboots!

Last edited by Stinger; 07-02-2010 at 12:51 AM. Reason: Doh!
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 01:07 AM   #2
wrenn1
Addict
wrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchfork

I still have finished books showing as new or bookmarked in some random chapter. I paged through all of them so many times in the past and it didn't help. I paged through them once again tonight (post upgrade) and will see what happens.

Also, I am trying to shut my kobo off but it goes to sleep mode and when I press longer it takes me to a welcome to Kobo screen
wrenn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 01:08 AM   #3
wrenn1
Addict
wrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchfork

Ok, No longer in sleep mode. But the screen says "powered off" and before it showed the cover of the book I am reading. I am guessing the covers no longer show when powered off but mine was slow to get the message.
wrenn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 03:12 AM   #4
jonnybraga
jonnybraga began at the beginning.

mine did that too, the first time, wrenn1.

I kinda liked the new sleeping mode, but I'd like to leave it that way longer than 15 min... even days....

I don't wanna turn it off and have to go through the booting process every time... also, the cover is gone when it's off... which is a bummer...
jonnybraga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 03:15 AM   #5
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnybraga View Post
I kinda liked the new sleeping mode, but I'd like to leave it that way longer than 15 min... even days....

... also, the cover is gone when it's off... which is a bummer...
Agreed. I would very much like the ability to control the shutdown timer. I hope they put an option in the settings in the next firmware update.
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 04:38 AM   #6
kiwikobo
Enthusiast
kiwikobo doesn't litterkiwikobo doesn't litter

This is a "version 1.5 wishlist" thread, then? :-) That'll make the Kobomen happy...

I would like to see a few more options on the "display" menu, which wouldn't be hard to implement. I find "smallest" a fraction small for the resolution of the display, and "small" a bit bigger than I'd want. "Medium/Large/Largest" are presumably useful for accessibility reasons, but why are the font sizes biased so far towards the "large" end. Adding a couple more breaks in the smaller end would be nice, or even better just allow a specific 'normal' font size to be shown (this is viable because it's at the final display stage of a fixed piece of hardware, before the CSS junkies start claiming that fonts shouldn't be declared in points).

Similarly, it would be easy enough to allow variable justification, margins, and line spacing. One way would be to allow a small piece of CSS to be uploaded to the device to be activated by an option on the menu -- for example "p { margin: 0; margin-top: 0.5em; line-height: 110%; }", which would override the ebook itself (by automatically being considered "!important" in CSS terms. It seems to me that this wouldn't get in the way of non-techies wanting to use the book in a straightforward manner, but would enable others to fiddle with pretty much anything in the overall layout.

Control the shutdown timer? Now, it goes into 'sleep' mode after 15 minutes is that right? And it comes back out pretty instantly. But it never goes from there into "off" mode does it? It certainly shouldn't. It would be a pain if this were to happen. Will report back in the morning! EDIT: yes it does, after 15 minutes it powers off completely. This is a disastrous step backwards. What lunatic thought up that? Note to self: when installing 1.5 firmware wait for someone else to do it first to find out what clueless modifications have been included.

A couple more fonts would be nice, and/or the option to upload a font to the reader perhaps (rather than having to embed the fonts within each ebook).

Someone else suggested putting the current time on the 'display' or other menu, that would be nice. But I would imagine it would also fit in the bottom right hand corner of the screen at all times, which is after all where we're all used to seeing a clock...

An option on the menu to remove the current book from the "I'm reading" list.

That'll do for next week anyway :-))

Last edited by kiwikobo; 07-02-2010 at 06:09 PM.
kiwikobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 04:48 AM   #7
EtherealWinter
The Omega and Alpha
EtherealWinter began at the beginning.

I liked the cover when my book was shut down, It had a certain feel to it. Now it's just ghastly :P
EtherealWinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 05:12 AM   #8
tpw
Zealot
tpw has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tpw has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tpw has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo, Sony PRS650
I thought that the actual update process was very smooth and well presented, and it went without hitch. I'd say for the most part the update has delivered pretty much what Kobo (Michael) promised.

Font resizing: great
Proper charging light status: great
Hide built in books: great
Presumable other bug fixes: fair enough
Sleep mode: crazy

To me the sleep and power saving measures have been implemented in a way which is actually quite annoying.

In "active" reading mode, I can leave the device for long periods, presumably during which it is still consuming power.

The kobo only stays "sleep" mode, which I imagine is supposed to use far less power, for 15 minutes, before switching completely "off" (zero power).

To me, this is completely the wrong way around. Surely it makes more sense for the device to automatically switch from "active" to "sleep" after say 30 minutes with no key presses. Once in "sleep", it should stay that way, consuming little power for as long as I choose to leave it. Actually switching to "off" should be at the discretion of the user, since it entails a 45 second wait to switch on again.

Sorry if I've got my wires crossed with the way these power saving measures are supposed to work. I'd be perplexed if Apple or Nokia came up with a mobile phone firmware upgrade which gave 1 month between battery charges, by automatically switching the phone off after 15 minutes of standby...

Sorry for the rant for my first mobileread post. I've had my kobo for a few weeks and have learned a huge amount from these forums, as well as developing a lot of respect for Kobo's responsiveness. Hopefully Michael and Sameer are reading this, as I'm sure feedback will make the Kobo the truly great device we all want it to be.

Last edited by tpw; 07-02-2010 at 05:15 AM.
tpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 06:53 AM   #9
kiwikobo
Enthusiast
kiwikobo doesn't litterkiwikobo doesn't litter

I'm right with you. I just found my Kobo switched off. This is a terrible step back from where we were.

So, we've now got font sizing corrected without having to edit the books, but at the expense of a significant loss of convenience as the machine ends up being off whenever you want it on. Not really so much fun to show people now, as you have to start with an apology for it taking a ridiculous amount of time to switch on.

Is it possible to revert the firmware back to the old one that stayed on?

Charles
kiwikobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 08:24 AM   #10
terifili
Enthusiast
terifili doesn't litterterifili doesn't litter

Thanks for the update Kobo, works great!!!!
terifili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 08:30 AM   #11
Turt99
Connoisseur
Turt99 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I agree it would nice to be able to adjust the "Sleep Mode" time. Or have the device go to "Sleep Mode" by itself but remain in that status forever.

Overall I'm happy with how easy it was to upgrade, and its awesome that the font-size seems to be completely fixed.
Turt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 08:53 AM   #12
dantaipan
Enthusiast
dantaipan began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Font-resizing was my only show-stopper so in general I am happy.

Lately I haven't been powering off the unit at all. Since I bought the leather sleeve, I just slip it in there and drop it in my laptop bag when done reading. Most of the time no button presses are registered and worst case the center-d gets pressed and brings up the menu. I am still satisfied with the battery life when not shutting down (hell I'm use to charging my iphone daily). Based on what's been said about sleep mode, I guess that is how I will continue.
dantaipan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 09:23 AM   #13
juiceless
Enthusiast
juiceless began at the beginning.

This is exactly how I'd like to see this implemented. 100% with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpw View Post
To me, this is completely the wrong way around. Surely it makes more sense for the device to automatically switch from "active" to "sleep" after say 30 minutes with no key presses. Once in "sleep", it should stay that way, consuming little power for as long as I choose to leave it. Actually switching to "off" should be at the discretion of the user, since it entails a 45 second wait to switch on again.
juiceless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 10:07 AM   #14
plaid
Connoisseur
plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo eReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by juiceless View Post
Yep, I agree as well - I think this is what users would expect as it is more like how laptops etc. work. After not using for a while go to sleep mode, or go to sleep mode right away with a quick button push. Turn off only by long button push or if power gets very low.
plaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 10:46 AM   #15
the hatter
Enthusiast
the hatter can eat soup with a fork.the hatter can eat soup with a fork.the hatter can eat soup with a fork.the hatter can eat soup with a fork.the hatter can eat soup with a fork.the hatter can eat soup with a fork.the hatter can eat soup with a fork.the hatter can eat soup with a fork.the hatter can eat soup with a fork.the hatter can eat soup with a fork.the hatter can eat soup with a fork.

Quote:
Originally Posted by juiceless View Post
+1. I thought that this was what the Kobo employees said would be implemented. I don't see how it's useful at all to have the device power off completely from sleep mode, but never go into sleep mode by itself.
the hatter is offline   Reply With Quote