Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-09-2010, 12:50 PM   #1
wrenn1
Addict
wrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kobo
two formats in Calibre

If I want to keep Mobi and epub copies of a book in Calibre (for my Kindle and Kobo), when I go to transfer a book to a reader how does Calibre know which format to send?

I have been deleting the format I don't want before "send to reader" but that is a nuisance.

Thanks in advance
wrenn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 01:06 PM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Each reader has a list of preferred formats, in order of preference. Calibre will choose the format from the list. See preferences -> plugins -> device plugins and look at the kobo and kindle(kindle2?) plugins.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 01:30 PM   #3
wrenn1
Addict
wrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchfork

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Each reader has a list of preferred formats, in order of preference. Calibre will choose the format from the list. See preferences -> plugins -> device plugins and look at the kobo and kindle(kindle2?) plugins.
Ok, Sorry for being an idiot but....so each time I want to transfer a book to a reader I should go to the device plug ins and set it?
Old 10-09-2010, 01:32 PM   #4
wrenn1
Addict

I just thought of something else. Since Calibre has a folder in my computer I think I can just copy the format I want from that to the desktop and then drag to device icon? Right?
Old 10-09-2010, 01:36 PM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Set each device the way you want, once. Once you have done that, calibre will automatically select the best (most preferred) format when you send a book to one of your devices.
Old 10-09-2010, 01:38 PM   #6
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenn1 View Post
I just thought of something else. Since Calibre has a folder in my computer I think I can just copy the format I want from that to the desktop and then drag to device icon? Right?
Yes, you can, but I can't see why you would want to.
Old 10-09-2010, 01:46 PM   #7
wrenn1
Addict

Thanks Chaley, You are obviously more expert on electronic matters. I have adopted the habit of having as few 'instructions' as possible to complete a task. I have a cognitive impairment that makes it impossible for me to hold too much information. For example I didn't know (and am too stupid, if you will) to learn that my device can be set.

Thanks so much for taking the time to try to show me. I do now know thanks to you that I can re-check the preferences as I go to remind myself.

I really appreciate your help. Have a good day.
Old 10-10-2010, 05:06 AM   #8
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenn1 View Post
I have adopted the habit of having as few 'instructions' as possible to complete a task.
Well, just consider this: Once your device is all properly set up in Calibre, all you need to do to transfer books is clicking one single button. If you want to copy the books from out of the library folder and onto your device(s), that's way more steps than using Calibre to do it.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote