Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Handhelds and Smartphones

Notices

Old 04-28-2005, 10:18 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
StyleTab makes Palm OS apps Pocket PC-compatible

A company called StyleTap claims to have written a Motorola 68K emulator that allows Pocket PC users to run any Palm OS (5.2) application. Not emulated are support conduits, "hacks", and Bluetooth applications.

"With this product, users who decide to migrate from a Palm OS® device can keep running their favorite applications. And for the first time, existing Windows Mobile™ PDA users can access the vast array of popular, proven Palm OS® applications," said Gregory Sokoloff, CEO and co-founder of StyleTap Inc. "This is the first of a family of StyleTap™ Platform products that will extend this capability to other handheld operating systems such as Symbian OS™. StyleTap™ Platform is based on the idea that the same application software should run on many different kinds of handhelds, regardless of operating system. This not only benefits handheld users, but also allows developers to target a much larger customer base."

I am going to give this one a try tonight. It almost sounds too good to be true. You can click here to download a trial of StyleTab Platform V0.9.050. The current version is a preview that you can evaluate for 14 days without purchasing a license.

[via Engadget]
Old 04-28-2005, 10:49 AM   #2
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Let us know how it goes. Especially in terms of stability and speed, and how it handles the different display resolutions. Also wonder how it handles data storage like internal flash ROM and sd cards?

I'd love to be able to use my favorite Palm apps again!
Advert
Old 04-28-2005, 12:47 PM   #3
jlariviere
jlariviere began at the beginning.

Location: Rocklin, CA, USA, Earth, Solar System, Galaxy, Universe
Device: Onyx Boox Note 10.3 (want), Kindle Oasis (have)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobR
Let us know how it goes. Especially in terms of stability and speed, and how it handles the different display resolutions. Also wonder how it handles data storage like internal flash ROM and sd cards?

I'd love to be able to use my favorite Palm apps again!
For me, I would love it if I could run my PalmOS software on the PPC hardware (a change from the PalmOS PDA's)!
Jeremie
Old 04-28-2005, 02:27 PM   #4
jadedboi
jadedboi began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 3G, iPad
Well, it runs Plucker. It ran out of memory and crashed when trying to open the Plucker User guide, however. It's a interesting concept, and more importantly it seems to actually work. I'll give it a better go later... I'm definitely intrigued.
Old 04-28-2005, 03:22 PM   #5
smallfry
smallfry began at the beginning.

Device: Dell Axim x50v
i tried it with two games and it works ok. although, some of the buttons render in the wrong places and some of the menus overlap in the wrong places... but everything seemd to work ok with a little guess work. nifty.
Advert
Old 04-28-2005, 03:30 PM   #6
radleyp
Evangelist
radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle Global, iphone4, ipad
There are bound to be legal battles over this, as no Palm developer is likely to allow such appropriation of its software. Remember the agreements we all read (or do we?) and "sign" before we purchase, to the effect that we are buying this for our own personal use on a particular unit. And programs, like Agendus, which are keyed to individual PDA's will very likely not work. The idea is intriguing, but I wonder how complete (and legal) the implementation can be. Philippe Radley
Old 04-28-2005, 03:45 PM   #7
lesliefranke
lesliefranke began at the beginning.

With conduits not being supported of how much use is this anyway?
Old 04-28-2005, 04:21 PM   #8
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesliefranke
With conduits not being supported of how much use is this anyway?
I was wondering about that also. But for many applications, that might not be a problem if StyleTab writes Palm databases from memroy to PPC My Documents files that are synched to the desktop.

Consider ShadowPlan for example (one of my favorites, although Tombo is an excellent alternative on PPC). If the outlines are stored in a file in PPC My Documents, then it would be saved to my PC. It wouldn't really help much with using the Shadow desktop, I suppose, nor would all the extra code written to support multiple backups be supported, but you see what I mean. At least you would have a copy of your data that would be synched to the PC as a backup. That would be sufficient for me in a lot of cases.

There's a neat solitaire game on Palm that I could also use along with my other favorite PPC version (Solitaire City). That should also be fine without synch support, as would a lot of games. But high scores and preferences might be at risk if the info doesn't get synched to the PC as a file.

Another example of a game that works is from Shaun over at PDA24/7, who has tried Village Sim and says it "works perfectly".

I guess the key is to separate out the things that it can do from the things that it can't do, and get a handle on the stability. Especially if you start running into memory issues.
Old 04-28-2005, 05:39 PM   #9
sUnShInE
Drama Queen
sUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to behold

Device: Palm Tungsten T|T3
Alex: You totally beat me to the gun... I was going to post about this app.
Old 04-28-2005, 05:57 PM   #10
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict

Interesting threads about this app...
http://discussion.brighthand.com/sho...hreadid=117915
and
http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/foru...c.php?p=341064
and
http://www.palminfocenter.com/view_story.asp?ID=7794

Seems Ed Hardy from Brighthand has tried it and run into some problems, but Bob Chew from StyleTab has responded in that forum with good info (e.g. on Bejewled2, you need VGA display set to a particular resolution). He also continues to encourage people to submit emails with programs that don't work. To me that's a real good sign that they are expecting to make most programs work. A developer that knows most won't work, or doesn't want to do anything about it, is not going to be encouraging that sort of flood of replies. I bet it improves greatly over time. There's certainly a lot of interest in it.
Old 04-29-2005, 12:59 AM   #11
ortaliz
Member Retired
ortaliz began at the beginning.

Device: M515
What we need is a pocket pc emulator for Palm OS =)
Old 04-29-2005, 08:19 AM   #12
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ortaliz
What we need is a pocket pc emulator for Palm OS =)
Then you could run the Palm OS emulator within the Pocket PC emulator on your Palm device ;9

I tried StyleTab and it works as advertised. I installed ZLauncher and it works, although some icons look strange. Bejeweled 1 worked fine as well. What didn't work was Megasoft's MegaCalc - it caused some strange kind of exception code.

I think for those who are desperate to use a specific Palm OS tool that is not available on Pocket PC devices StyleTab could prove useful. On the other hand, if you seriously believe that it could replace your real Palm OS PDA, I am sorry to inform you that you are mistaken. The graphics just don't look near as good as on a native machine.