Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-03-2013, 01:19 AM   #1
quamquam
quamquam began at the beginning.

Device: Nexus 7
Make annotations using Calibre?

I have searched the Calibre FAQs and this forum but have found no answer to my question. Is there any way to add annotation functionality to Calibre?

I know that Calibre can import annotations from, say, the Kindle. But I would love to be able to make annotations using the reader built into the Calibre library itself.

Is there any way to do this?
quamquam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 01:27 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
no .
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2013, 04:46 AM   #3
basilv
basilv began at the beginning.

Device: PC, Android, Kobo
Are there any plans to add this functionality?

There are several books I'd love to add highlights, notes, dissections, etc. to while reading in the Calibre reader.

Annotations and Highlighting would be a really great feature.

btw: I love Calibre. Thank you for all the work you've done.
basilv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 03:37 PM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
I believe it is on Kovid's long-term to-do list (he'll correct me if I'm wrong).

In other words, yes but maybe not for years, depending on what else he has on his mind.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 04:07 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
How can you do Annotations (based upon highlighting or otherwise) when the are no Standards for interoperability
Think Amazon vs Apple vs Adobe vs Kobo

No way do these folk want you using someone elses device
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2013, 05:03 PM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
How can you do Annotations (based upon highlighting or otherwise) when the are no Standards for interoperability
Think Amazon vs Apple vs Adobe vs Kobo

No way do these folk want you using someone elses device
using calibre's standards and calibre as your reader
Old 12-13-2013, 05:42 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
using calibre's standards and calibre as your reader
Calibre does not run on my Kindle
Calibre does not run on my TAB2
Calibre does not run on mY Astak
Calibre does not run on my Phone

Calibre is a Library Manager 1st
Calibre is a conversion tool 2nd

Calibre is Not a primary reading device (I can' t hold up a 22" monitor for more than a few minutes and the Keyboard always ends up under the Cat making page turns impossible)

(That is Sebastian who used to fit in my slipper)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0779.JPG
Views:	780
Size:	592.6 KB
ID:	116667  
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 06:09 PM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Obviously there won't be compatibility with your devices, the same way they can't handle custom columns, series, calibre bookmarks, comments (sometimes), and many other things calibre can do. What's your point?
Old 12-15-2013, 12:24 PM   #9
basilv

Calibre IS my primary reader. Plus, I wouldn't dream of writing up detailed dissections while on a handheld/mobile.

I like to relax in my easychair, with my lappy, and read and take notes in Calibre.

Adding highlights and annotes to the Calibre reader would be top on MY personal list of prios. No idea what Kovid's prios are, but I hope my plea makes an impression on him. Heck, for all we know this could be a very quick and easy add-on. I'd even be happy with the reader stuffing a tertiary annotes_bookxyz.txt file. Doesn't have to be embedded in the book itself... Anyway, I hope it does happen someday.
Old 12-15-2013, 03:06 PM   #10
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
@basilv,

Despite what may or may not come in the future you could always add a .TXT format file for each book you want to make notes on. By opening both formats at the same time (epub in the Viewer, TXT in your TXT editor) add your cogitations into it as you read. I'm pretty sure you can copy/paste from Viewer to TXT editor.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 12:03 AM   #11
basilv

Yes, there are certainly dozens of possible solutions, but the way I'd want it to FUNCTION, is that I could add a certain colour highlighting to a section of text, and then add annotes at that text position. This way, I can re-visit the book, and when coming upon that highlight, I could easily call up the linked annotation. This set-up would lend itself easily to further study as well, as you could step through highlights/annotes quickly and easily...

Anyhow, there's little use defending the pros of annotations, since most eReaders have already seen the light and incorporated them. It would just be nice (for me anyways) if Calibre did too.
Old 12-19-2013, 12:12 AM   #12
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Seen the light and incorporated them, maybe, but we still don't have an interoperable way of handling them.

If/when calibre gets annotations, I imagine there will be plugins developed that can import and export them to many if not all devices. And THAT'S what I'm waiting for.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:43 PM   #13
lukeintas
lukeintas began at the beginning.

Device: iBooks
I'd like to see annotation capability added as well, especially with the Release 1.24 announcement of touchscreen support for Windows tablets.

I'm producing ePubs for work training material, where Windows tablets are now being issued (although many, including myself, are still using personally owned iPads). Unfortunately to date I haven't found a single Windows ePub reader with good ePub support, touch interface support, and annotation capabilities.
lukeintas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 01:40 AM   #14
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
would a plug-in for, say, evernotes be a practical solution
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 02:25 AM   #15
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
piovac has devised a solution for PDF's on OS/X that does not change the PDF, see https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=230740

It uses a program called SKIM, the annotations are kept in sidecar files

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
annotation, calibre