Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 09-02-2010, 03:05 PM   #46
NiaTrue
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisF View Post
Might I ask how you use your journal?
I use the journal two or three days a week to take notes during meetings. My notes are usually three or four pages and include only one drawing or diagram. These diagrams (information architecture for websites) are not elaborate. To some web designers this might not make sense, but I think of websites as buildings, so I sketch them as such (and the person who has to interpret the drawings is a very good, intuitive designer). This means I have walls (homepage and main nav), doors (sub-nav), windows (links out and multimedia), but no egg and dentil molding (javascript and hex conversions).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisF View Post
I guess it is time to put in a feature request to allow the top journal toolbar to be customized like they just did for the android toolbar.
I think this is a good idea. If you haven't already done so, you should add this to the Feature Request forum.

Last edited by NiaTrue; 09-02-2010 at 05:13 PM. Reason: correct mispelling

Old 09-02-2010, 09:11 PM   #47
RockmanX20
Edge User

Hi Guys,

I am new to this forum, but have been reading it for a while. After seeing some of the capabilities of the Edge, and doing heavy comparison with this, the Microsoft Courier(Vaporware), Ipad, Notion Ink Adam, ExoPC, etc, I decided to go with the Edge.

i was going to preorder it when it first existed this year, but changed my mind due to it's software limitations. Seems that the team and outside developers have been doing a great job building this up far from it's original reviews. I see there are some quarreling here and there, but I hope that Entourage and the developers can work it out. I been watching you JCase and Robot, don't stop doing what you are doing.

I am highly impressed with my first day with the Edge. Especially after playing with the original form and with the upgrade Dingo. Dingo makes it very fast, much faster than the default build. Now I have some questions for the forums.

1. Is there an official release date for Froyo? I read someone said the fall, but anything official?
2. Will the Entourage Edge get Gingerbread(Android 3.0) also? Seems the specs are capable of handling it.
3. Is there a way to transfer whatever is on the LCD screen to the E-Ink screen? if not, please make this a function. This is probably more important than Froyo or Gingerbread.

I have plenty of other questions, but don't want to overload on my first post.

Advert
Old 09-02-2010, 09:34 PM   #48
Chubulor
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisb View Post
Coyote-0.6 was actually the big release (I think near the end of May?), as you can see from the Release Notes. The second release in June, Coyote-1.0, was actually more of a maintenance release, as you can see from its Release Notes.
Well, I didn't get the Edge until the end of May so I wouldn't have gotten the previous release. But if that's the case, Entourage has a bizarre numbering convention if they change the leftmost number for maintenance releases but not for major ones.

Quote:
As is the nature of all software, generally a bug fix release introduces at least one new bug It keeps us software developers well employed, lol.
Software developer? A-HA!

Old 09-02-2010, 09:39 PM   #49
Chubulor
Edge User

I would report a bug, namely that "the Dingo ate our baby", where baby refers to the ability to debug apps on the Edge, but it appears that's actually considered a feature in some circles. It's not considered a feature to our developer community, but they apparently don't count.

Old 09-02-2010, 10:13 PM   #50
NiaTrue
Edge User

The redesign of the native browser is great. It would be even better if they scooted over the icon for displaying the LCD screen on the ereader and made room for a bookmarks icon. Right now, bookmarks are two clicks away; an icon would make them one click away.

Advert
Old 09-03-2010, 04:43 AM   #51
sjarrel
Edge User

I was on holiday in Scotland when the update Dingo suddenly appeared. Then had a little time to try things out. Meanwhile, there are already several strengths and weaknesses that the forummembers put forward.
I'll put here my experiences in a row.

The new version of the library is great. Especially the search function is a big advantage. The new layout is cleaner and easier to use.
The home is an improvement with the new bar. Very happy with the customizable menu bar.
The default browser is improved. The bar with the home button, back button and reader is an asset. I do not use the forward button and prefer to see that replaced by a bookmark button. I hope I don't get the 404-errormessage anymore.
Documents to Go (3.0) is well improved.
Fortunately, the keyboard is now functional. A possibility for a Dutch version would be wonderful.
I am very glad that there is a calendar now. The use of the reader side is very useful, but the view on the tablet is of some disappointment for me. I like to see in the monthly and weekly schedule my appointments at once as text (as in Jorte). The screen is large enough to clearly display this information. I would also like to import information and synchronize with other calendars like Google Calendar. So it's an add to the wishlist.
The ability to create your own wallpaper on the reader side is beautifully put. However, when I turn off the edge I see my wallpaper, but when I start again, the EE-page book with the books appears, later on the page changes to the EE-page with read / write / surf. That is fun for the first time, but I like to see my own wallpaper if I do not use the reader side. Even after a long press ont the switch-app button enters the EE page and not my new selected one.
The projector mode is a nice addition. I can not test it yet because I still have no adapter.
Storage: The manual says I can see the internal storage. However, I had the library moved to the SD card. Thus, the internal storage (3G) lost. I had hoped that after the update this would be available again. Is it still lost?
One surprise is certain apps are now full screen!
The improvement for battery use, I have not (yet) observed. I have the impression that there is no improvement on my device.
The battery icon still not provide percentage. I had hoped that this would be changed, so you do not have to use a separate app.
The speaker volume icon should be in the notificationbar. I haven't seen it yet. Not even when I'm playing music.
The new airplane icon when the wifi switch is off is handy!
The update apps via AndAppStore Download now! However, the update of Dolphin Browser does not work (?)
Disappointing is the fact that the reader still has no landscape mode. When I bought the eDGe I took it for granted that it would have that option, like all other readers I have seen. I really hoped this would be updated with Dingo. And if the annotation option is a problem then for the time being: even without annotation for landscape. After all it's a e-reader and not an e-writer for me.

The EE-team did a great job again. "Petje af". (As Dontpanic is from South Africa, he can translate that for the team.
I was, am and will later still be a very happy owner of the eDGe. Thanks to all!

Last edited by sjarrel; 09-03-2010 at 04:50 AM.

Old 09-03-2010, 04:50 AM   #52
emen
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockmanX20 View Post
1. Is there an official release date for Froyo? I read someone said the fall, but anything official?
2. Will the Entourage Edge get Gingerbread(Android 3.0) also? Seems the specs are capable of handling it.
3. Is there a way to transfer whatever is on the LCD screen to the E-Ink screen? if not, please make this a function. This is probably more important than Froyo or Gingerbread.

I have plenty of other questions, but don't want to overload on my first post.
Actually, the only firmware available is the official one, the community (Robot, mostly) is working on making an unofficial one, as far as I understand.

1. No, there is no official date for Froyo, but the EE guys like to surprise us, by keeping all the details in secret .
2. I don't know about that.
3. It sure can be done but only with the web pages (e.g. you cannot open an application on the e-ink side). Open the web page in the default browser and click the book icon in the navigation toolbar. There you can choose between EPUB and PDF output. I like the EPUB better. Just wait a few seconds and the page will show up in the e-ink side. You can keep browsing the web while the page is being converted.

Old 09-03-2010, 04:17 PM   #53
Franky
Edge User

I'm seriously happy with the new software update. Personally, I find it a pitty that the oolbar is gobe whem I'm usibg the browser. When I've got the browser open, I could just click to email. Sort cut. Currently, I've got to click the home button and go to email. Yes, the browser is still at the last page, but still.

in the meantime I've got jorte, with tips & help of others, and for me that works great. So far I'd like it more.

like some others, I also got sometimes strange lines in the LCD screen and a sort of corrupt screen like the searchscreen coming from the searchtool out of the reader.

It's of course my personal finding.

Old 09-04-2010, 01:40 AM   #54
RockmanX20
Edge User

Thanks for your reply Emen. I did learn about the web browser feature. it will help me a lot when I use CourseSmart. It converts E-books online to the E-Ink Side with very little problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emen View Post
Actually, the only firmware available is the official one, the community (Robot, mostly) is working on making an unofficial one, as far as I understand.

1. No, there is no official date for Froyo, but the EE guys like to surprise us, by keeping all the details in secret .
2. I don't know about that.
3. It sure can be done but only with the web pages (e.g. you cannot open an application on the e-ink side). Open the web page in the default browser and click the book icon in the navigation toolbar. There you can choose between EPUB and PDF output. I like the EPUB better. Just wait a few seconds and the page will show up in the e-ink side. You can keep browsing the web while the page is being converted.

Old 09-08-2010, 06:55 PM   #55
Gunnerp245
Edge User

Exclamation New Browser

The 'tool/url' bar needs to be reduced in height by 50%.

Old 09-09-2010, 01:00 AM   #56
alefor
Edge User

Finally started using Dingo, and generally favorable. However, Tags are acting weird for me. Some books had tags associated with them after the upgrade to Dingo that were not there before. When I tried "edit tags" and unchecked the tag, hit save..... The book was still listed under that tag. Any suggestions? Thank you

Old 09-09-2010, 08:47 AM   #57
borisb
Edge User

You could add this to the Dingo Bugs thread, and/or forward it to Tech Support directly...

Old 09-10-2010, 01:31 AM   #58
BobClarke
Edge User

I had the same issue. Solved it by clearing and deleting all Tags and recreating them. Problem has disappeared.

Old 09-10-2010, 04:24 AM   #59
alefor
Edge User

Where do I store a .jpg to use as reader side wallpaper? Feel stupid asking this, but I haven't seen info on this. I think it needs to be in a Pictures folder, so when I push and hold the home screen, it will find it. Thanks for any help.

Old 09-10-2010, 09:09 AM   #60
borisb
Edge User

Actually, you can put it anywhere, e.g. on your SD card, and the Gallery app will find it (just like the Music Player will find music files anywhere). Use the Gallery to find the app, tap-and-hold the picture, select "Set As", then "Reader Wallpaper".