Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-15-2014, 04:20 PM   #1
benarty
benarty began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HDX
Calibre With Kindle HDX

Hi,

I have been using Calibre for a few years now with my old original Kindle. My wife and I have both just upgraded to the new Kindle HDX and cannot see a way to get books into my Calibre library.

When I buy a book from Amazon it downloads straight into my device and when I connect my Kindle to the computer I cannot find the books to add to my Calibre library as they appear to be in a different format. I want to transfer books I have purchased to my wife's Kindle and cannot see how to do this, either than by messing about and deregistering my wife's Kindle then reregistering it to me and lending her the book for two weeks! This was easy before with the old Kindle and everything went into the Calibre library and then transferred to the device of choice. If I buy a paperback We can both read it then give it a charity shop.

Am I missing something here?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Ben
benarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 04:59 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
By far the easiest solution is to have all your Amazon devices registered to the same account. That will allow you to freely share books. Doing it any other way is just making life difficult for yourself.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 09:45 PM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
The Kindle Fire tablets are not as easy to work with to find the books on it -- as you've noticed. Why don't you try getting the books from the Kindle 4 PC app?
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 04:02 AM   #4
benarty

So are we saying that Calibre is no use with the Kindle Fire?

Ben
Old 02-16-2014, 04:06 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
No, not at all. You can happily send books to the Fire with Calibre. It's just not the easiest device in the work to extract books from.

My personal workflow is to download books with "Kindle for PC", transfer them from K4PC to Calibre, and then from Calibre to whatever device I want to read them on.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:13 AM   #6
benarty

OK many thanks for that. I now have K4PC installed and the books are downloaded so how do I get them into Calibre?

Ben
Old 02-16-2014, 09:08 AM   #7
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by benarty View Post
OK many thanks for that. I now have K4PC installed and the books are downloaded so how do I get them into Calibre?

Ben
simple drag & drop - go to the kindle folder in my docs,( my kindle content) drag anything ending in azw into main calibre window - is how I do it.

alternatively use calibre add books on that same folder probably works
the book files have meaningless names, but if you want a specific book that you just added, use the windows file dates to locate it

if you add the correct plug-in ,from Alf, then this process will also unllock the books for you, so you can then add them via calibre to any reader that you own.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 09:52 AM   #8
benarty

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
if you add the correct plug-in ,from Alf, then this process will also unllock the books for you, so you can then add them via calibre to any reader that you own.
Many thanks for this, but you have lost on this part. Who is Alf and what is the correct plug-in?

Ben
Old 02-16-2014, 10:20 AM   #9
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benarty View Post
Many thanks for this, but you have lost on this part. Who is Alf and what is the correct plug-in?

Ben
all I can say here is
google "apprentice alf", read the links that look relevant, then ask any questions on his web site
Old 02-16-2014, 01:09 PM   #10
benarty

Hi,

Thanks again. I have now downloaded and installed the DRM plug-in, deleted the books from Calibre and dragged and dropped them back to Calibre from My Kindle Content. They no longer appear to be locked, but when I try to view the content in Calibre I get the Windows message asking "what programme to use to open the file" They are azw files so do I need to convert them to a different format to view them?

Ben
Old 02-16-2014, 02:18 PM   #11
cybmole
Wizard

you just tell calibre/windows to use kindle for PC as the external viewer for that file type, or to use its own internal viewer ( & then it will silently convert but ill not save the convert)
i think when you move an azw file into calibre the file type changes to azw3 or to mobi ( depending on what calibre finds inside the amazon file) so windows gets confused. but after you tell it once, it should be all set from then on.

now that you have your books in calibre, you can convert to epub & also send to an epub reader if ever you buy one e.g. kobo, nook, sony...
Old 02-16-2014, 02:31 PM   #12
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Preferences ==> Interface ==> Behavior

There is a list on the right of formats to "Use internal viewer for", check off the azw, mobi, and azw3 formats.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote