Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-24-2010, 05:14 PM   #76
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by exvaxman View Post
Biggest complaint - you need wifi to set it up and they do not tell you the mac address until you have already set it up. All of my access points have mac address control - so I had to walk to a neighbor's yard to leech his wifi to do the initial setup.
That was my biggest complaint, too. I had to turn off mac address filtering, set the nc up, and then turn filtering back on. I guess they figure that anyone who has set up mac filtering on their router will figure that out, but it seems like a little bit of developer tunnel vision to me.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 03:27 AM   #77
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-700 (traded in), Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebarnmom View Post
Just had to share this! My giddy over the NookColor husband keeps calling it a Noodle! We've figured out that when you put a Kindle with a Nook (or rather a Nook with a Kindle, kind of like a Labradoodle) you get a "Noodle"! It just cracks me up when he calls it that, so innocently. He's now catching himself right after he says it. Maybe that'll be his pet name for it, if I get him one!
Looking through the mountain of ads in today's paper at all of the Black Friday sales, my husband was looking over my shoulder and excitedly asked if that was a "Noodle" in the ad I was browsing. My response: Nope, it's a "Pandoodle"!
rebarnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 10:56 PM   #78
Reeses
Reeses is on a distinguished road

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonetools View Post
Based on all the reviews I've read, it really does look like B& N has hit a home run with the Color. The only negative reviews have come from Apple fan boys who condemn the Nookcolor as a "crippled Ipad" and Android fanboys who prefer to root, hack and otherwise fiddle with their devices rather than actually use them for their stated purpose.
From what I've read, it seems the NC is very much a device that's fit for purpose-and that's all anyone should require.

Going downtown now for a hands on:-).
Well said!!
Reeses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 10:40 PM   #79
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
Dunno if this one has been posted yet but Chris Burns has an extended review at Slash Gear. Its in two parts so far. Start here

http://www.slashgear.com/a-week-with...5310/#comments

for the hardware review, then click through for the software review. That review includes a 14 minute video segment that is quite thorough. Again, a very positive review.

I did a hands on at the B& N downtown in DC. I was guided by a helpful and knowledgeable salesgirl who took me through a lot of the features.I didn't buy just then, but basically, I'm sold on this device. I'm still wondering about whether I should go to the next level and get the Ipad or Galaxy, but I'm convinced that this would be a very good buy for what it does.
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 02:34 AM   #80
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonetools View Post
I'm still wondering about whether I should go to the next level and get the Ipad or Galaxy, but I'm convinced that this would be a very good buy for what it does.
For me, those devices are overpriced. All I want from a tablet is the ability to browse the web, read magazines & newspapers, play uploaded videos, and stream audio & video. Nook Color does all of that except streaming because it has no flash support. Once it's upgraded to Android 2.2, it'll gain flash support.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 12:33 PM   #81
Rebo
Groupie
Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook, nook color, kindle 3, Ipad 2nd gen, Nook HD+, Iphone 4S
From engadget:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/29/n...#disqus_thread

The Nook color is rooted. With its full capabilities unlocked, it can become the best low cost/high quality android tablet of this year.
Rebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 12:03 PM   #82
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Just had to share this! My giddy over the NookColor husband keeps calling it a Noodle! We've figured out that when you put a Kindle with a Nook (or rather a Nook with a Kindle, kind of like a Labradoodle) you get a "Noodle"! It just cracks me up when he calls it that, so innocently. He's now catching himself right after he says it. Maybe that'll be his pet name for it, if I get him one!
Well, I thought about wrapping up a macaroni noodle in a cute little box, but I was running short on time. I did get my husband the real thing (NOOKcolor) for his birthday yesterday. He was blown-away surprised and thrilled! He didn't get a whole lot of time to play with it, but he left it at home, so I get to play with it!

I feel like it needs a stylus, but that's just me. I'll try to select something with my fingernail and it won't take that... actually touching with fingertip works much better. Will give more of a review when I've had a chance to really use it.
Old 12-01-2010, 12:49 PM   #83
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
I feel like it needs a stylus, but that's just me. I'll try to select something with my fingernail and it won't take that... actually touching with fingertip works much better. Will give more of a review when I've had a chance to really use it.
The Nook Color captive touchscreen reacts to your skin, not to pressure. That is why using you nail will not work.
If you buy a stylus, you need to buy one that is made for a captive touchscreen (like Iphone/Ipad).
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 02:42 PM   #84
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Well, I thought about wrapping up a macaroni noodle in a cute little box, but I was running short on time. I did get my husband the real thing (NOOKcolor) for his birthday yesterday. He was blown-away surprised and thrilled! He didn't get a whole lot of time to play with it, but he left it at home, so I get to play with it!

Oh, cool!! I'm so glad you were able to get one for him. I know he's thrilled to death! I sent my Sony 600 over for my mother in law to 'test read' with for a few weeks to see if she actually would use an ebook reader. I haven't gotten any texts from her, so it's either working well for her or she's given up on it completely
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 03:03 PM   #85
ppw
Connoisseur
ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle DXG, iPad 3
Quote:
Then try this. It should work with the nook.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/08/s...ale-in-the-us/
ppw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 03:04 PM   #86
rebarnmom
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by geertm View Post
The Nook Color captive touchscreen reacts to your skin, not to pressure. That is why using you nail will not work.
If you buy a stylus, you need to buy one that is made for a captive touchscreen (like Iphone/Ipad).
Thanks! I'll pass that info on to my husband. He's stopping after work tonight to pick up a cover, so I guess, it's a keeper! Not that I'm surprised!
Old 12-01-2010, 03:09 PM   #87
rebarnmom
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppw View Post
Then try this. It should work with the nook.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/08/s...ale-in-the-us/
Sausage!

Thanks! But I don't know if a sausage would fit in a cover, that is, if there are covers with a pen holder, like the M-Edge cover I had for my Sony 700.
Old 12-01-2010, 04:49 PM   #88
lena-writes
<3 ebooks
lena-writes began at the beginning.

Device: Droid X, iPad, iTouch, Sony Reader
I've been checking out the Nook Color for my mom for Christmas. An in store demo & hands-on playing around with the device proved to be impressive. The capacitive touch was responsive and the web interface (which she'd mostly use for email & Facebook & light web surfing) was user friendly. Searching for and downloading of book titles was ABC simple.

On the book sharing feature: you can share an ebook with another Nook user. For the two weeks they have the copy, the book isn't accessible on your device (I thought that was interesting) and then at the end of the lending period, the title reverts back to you.

Saw this review online today:
http://www.mobiletechreview.com/gadgets/nook-color.htm

Quote:
What's hot: Fantastic display quality, capacitive touch, great for magazines, plays video, surfs web and more.

What's not: Heavier than competing E-Ink readers, shorter battery life than E-Ink ereaders.
I'd agree with the comment that the Nook Color is fantastic for magazines, in fact I'd say that's one area in which the Nook Color shines. Also, children's books -- very nice to read these in color and the landscape mode makes for an engaging reading experience. Some children's book titles also have interactive features.

I have a Sony Reader myself and have to say (having also used the iPad as a reading device) that e-ink does have a huge advantage over LCD when reading outside. (The ads don't lie.) But for indoor reading and especially NIGHT TIME reading, an LCD device actually has a slight edge. imho The reverse display feature is great for that and you don't need an outside lighting source so you're not bugging the spouse who's trying to sleep.
lena-writes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 08:19 AM   #89
ypocaramel
Connoisseur
ypocaramel began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-700, Barnes and Noble NOOKcolor)
yea - capacitative screens don't respond to pressure, they respond to conductive materials on them - like a human, or a special "capactivative stylus" etc...
ypocaramel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 01:43 PM   #90
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Saw the Nook Color at BestBuy today. Was very impressed. Great screen, very light.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote