Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-10-2010, 08:51 AM   #1
maitrayei
maitrayei began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Calibre and Amazon Free WiFi

Dear learned brethren,
Had a doubt regarding Calibre..... If I am using the wifi service on Kindle to get the downloads of periodicals and newspapers from Calibre, do I need to keep Calibre running????
OR
Is it so that Calibre server would download the periodicals as selected by me and then using my gmail id send them to kindle free email id which would then send it to me on the wi-fi network to my Kindle???

Sorry if I have asked something totally out of the loop here.
Regards
Manish
maitrayei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 09:51 PM   #2
maitrayei
maitrayei began at the beginning.

Lotsa views... no reply still

Is the question too silly or does not have any solution only.... just wondering
maitrayei is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2010, 10:18 PM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Calibre needs to be running in order to fetch your periodicals.

I have Calibre send mine to my gmail account. I then use the Kindle browser to sign in to gmail and download the newspaper.

There may another way to do this but that's the way I go.

EDIT: There is another (better way) just have Calibre email the periodical to your @kindle.com address (not the yourname@free.kindle.com address). As long as you take receipt via wifi, you shouldn't be charged. I just tired it and no charge appeared. If you accept delivery via 3G Whispernet, you'll have to pay 15 cents per MB.

Last edited by daffy4u; 09-11-2010 at 11:15 PM.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 12:22 PM   #4
SilentSeven
Enthusiast
SilentSeven began at the beginning.

Device: Nexus7
Daffy - this is what I'm looking to configure next. Want Calibre to scrub websites/blogs, package them for the Kindle, auto-send them to my kindle email account for WiFi pickup.

I've got the news feed pulls setup, need to sort out the packaging and sending aspects next. Any hints?
SilentSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 12:47 PM   #5
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentSeven View Post
Daffy - this is what I'm looking to configure next. Want Calibre to scrub websites/blogs, package them for the Kindle, auto-send them to my kindle email account for WiFi pickup.

I've got the news feed pulls setup, need to sort out the packaging and sending aspects next. Any hints?
I'm not sure what you mean by the "packaging" but the emailing is pretty simple. Just go to "Preferences" and select "Email Delivery".
  • Click on the green plus sign and add your @kindle.com email address.
  • Then for the "Send Mail From" box, use one the email addresses from your approved email address list (see "Manage Your Kindle). It's much easier if you can use a Gmail account but you don't have to.
  • Under "Mail Server" fill in all the information. If you are using Gmail, just click the Gmail icon and the info will be filled in for you except for you actual gmail address and password.
  • Click on "Test Email" under the Gmail icon and to make sure your email set-up works.
  • Once your email is set up, go to your subscriptions and set-up the time everyday that you want subscription downloaded. It will emailed to you automatically. You must leave your computer running with Calibre open for this to work.
  • Make sure your Kindle is set to wifi and just wait for your periodicals to arrive.

That's my quickie tutorial. Good luck!
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2010, 10:32 AM   #6
SilentSeven
Enthusiast
SilentSeven began at the beginning.

Device: Nexus7
Thanks again Daffy. I actually now have that setup and working well. Checking out the various 'recipes' that suck up materials and (casually) dreaming about being able to build a few myself.

Really impressed with this program. A standalone Kindle is pretty limited but Calibre really makes it a useful 'offline' web reading device.
SilentSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 12:29 AM   #7
Jamz
Jamz began at the beginning.

Question on the email setup, why are we forced to select SSL or TLS? It appears that Wide Open West does NOT support TLS or SSL. I can only connect without encryption enabled.

Any way around this?
Jamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 12:35 AM   #8
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
If Arizona counts as the "wide open West" I am connected fine......used the default tls......
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 03:56 AM   #9
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamz View Post
Question on the email setup, why are we forced to select SSL or TLS? It appears that Wide Open West does NOT support TLS or SSL. I can only connect without encryption enabled.

Any way around this?
No. We recently had a thread about this that I can't seem to rediscover, but essentially, it boiled down to Kovid saying (and rightly so) that email providers offering non-encrypted SMTP are Doing It Wrong, and you should get a Real Provider, e.g. Gmail.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 04:25 AM   #10
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:

Any way around this?
If you're having trouble Kovid recommends that you first try setting it up using a Gmail account?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre_email.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	58338  
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 09:19 PM   #11
Jamz
Jamz began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
No. We recently had a thread about this that I can't seem to rediscover, but essentially, it boiled down to Kovid saying (and rightly so) that email providers offering non-encrypted SMTP are Doing It Wrong, and you should get a Real Provider, e.g. Gmail.
I can agree that it's a shame that they don't provide encrypted email but we should still have the option in Calibre, unless it's some sort of technical limitation which would seem odd.

Kinda stupid I have to now set up a gmail account just to send my ebooks to my kindle. (be nice if you could connect directly via wi-fi but I'm sure amazon doesn't allow/provide for that).
Jamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 10:17 PM   #12
slm
Fool
slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW1, Kobo Glo HD, Nook Glowlight Plus ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post

I have Calibre send mine to my gmail account. I then use the Kindle browser to sign in to gmail and download the newspaper.

EDIT: There is another (better way) just have Calibre email the periodical to your @kindle.com address (not the yourname@free.kindle.com address). As long as you take receipt via wifi, you shouldn't be charged. I just tired it and no charge appeared. If you accept delivery via 3G Whispernet, you'll have to pay 15 cents per MB.
Actually you can (and should) use the @free.kindle.com address.

An attachment sent to that address will be downloaded by your K3 when it is in WiFi mode but not when it is in 3G mode. And it will, therefore, be free.
slm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 10:42 PM   #13
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
I can agree that it's a shame that they don't provide encrypted email but we should still have the option in Calibre, unless it's some sort of technical limitation which would seem odd.

Kinda stupid I have to now set up a gmail account just to send my ebooks to my kindle. (be nice if you could connect directly via wi-fi but I'm sure amazon doesn't allow/provide for that).
This is so minor. Just set it up once and you'll never have to go back if you don't want to.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 12:26 AM   #14
SpiderMatt
Grand Arbiter
SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Amazon Kindle, Motorola Droid
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post

I can't get the mobi file to download from Gmail. Are you doing anything special?
SpiderMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 12:52 AM   #15
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderMatt View Post
I can't get the mobi file to download from Gmail. Are you doing anything special?
You're not downloading the mobi file "from gmail" you are sending it to your Kindle address using gmail.

Do you have your mail settings setup similar to the image attached to post 10?

Did you test these settings by sending a book to another email account?
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote