Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-20-2010, 02:00 PM   #1
Marilynx
Marilynx began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question Transfering from Calibre to Kindle for PC

I really like Calibre, as it allows me to translate EPUB format to Kindle format. I particularly like Calibre because it stores my books in separate folders. (Now if I could just have folders to organize my library in!)

I am using the Kindle for PC Reader mainly because that is where I started, and because my husband and I are considering the purchase of Kindles, unless something like the Alex E-Reader becomes readily available.

I chose to store my Calibre books on my data drive, which means that, since Kindle for PC did not give me an option of where the books would be stored, I must copy the books to Kindle for PC.

I thought, perhaps, that I could use the "send to device" option in Calibre, but it wants a physical device plugged in, not a program elsewhere on the same computer.

Is there a solution?
Marilynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 02:59 PM   #2
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
Hi there, I also use Kindle for PC - in addition to using a physical Kindle.

If I am understanding you correctly, you just need Calibre to copy your books over to your My Kindle Content folder so your Kindle for PC application can "see" your ebooks.

If this is the case, select the books you wish to transfer then click on the little arrow next to the Save to Disk button and select Save to Disk in a Single Directory and then you need to choose your My Kindle Content folder as the destination (usually in My Documents)

I hope that helps, if not please explain further.
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2010, 11:36 AM   #3
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
There is another way that one might prefer:

In Calibre's interface options, de-select "use internal viewer" for the Kindle formats (azw, mobi, prc). If, as is typical, the Kindle for PC application is set as the default system application for these formats, then viewing the book via Calibre (via "view specific format" if you are also keeping it in ePub) will open it in Kindle for PC -- and this automatically makes a copy in the "My Kindle Content" folder.

Last edited by bwaldron; 02-21-2010 at 11:38 AM.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 08:32 AM   #4
Marilynx

Quote:
Originally Posted by poshm View Post
Hi there, I also use Kindle for PC - in addition to using a physical Kindle.

If I am understanding you correctly, you just need Calibre to copy your books over to your My Kindle Content folder so your Kindle for PC application can "see" your ebooks.

If this is the case, select the books you wish to transfer then click on the little arrow next to the Save to Disk button and select Save to Disk in a Single Directory and then you need to choose your My Kindle Content folder as the destination (usually in My Documents)

I hope that helps, if not please explain further.
Yes, that is what I wish to do, although I apparently did not do it correctly, since it copied the folders from my Calibre directory. And, of course, Kindle for PC cannot see anything that is in separate directories.

I did not see, under Preferences, an option for copying to a single directory. Perhaps I missed it?
Old 02-26-2010, 08:39 AM   #5
Marilynx

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaldron View Post
There is another way that one might prefer:

In Calibre's interface options, de-select "use internal viewer" for the Kindle formats (azw, mobi, prc). If, as is typical, the Kindle for PC application is set as the default system application for these formats, then viewing the book via Calibre (via "view specific format" if you are also keeping it in ePub) will open it in Kindle for PC -- and this automatically makes a copy in the "My Kindle Content" folder.
I thought I deselected the internal viewer for the selected books, but when I clicked on any book from within Calibre, it still opened it in the internal viewer.

Yes, I do want to keep the books in both EPUB and Kindle formats, since I don't yet know when or if I will actually have an e-reader, and I would like to keep options open.

Thought I might get an e-reader for St. Patty's Day, but my husband just bounced our van off a curb to the tune of two Kindle DXs.
Advert

Tags
kindle for pc, organizing ebooks